News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 23, 2022, 07:06:45 PM
I wonder if Styracosaurus will be the last reveal before the Chinese New year.

I guess we'll know soon enough. PNSO revealed the Centrosaurus exactly two weeks ago and the Styracosaurus exactly one week ago. Both on Monday at 12:00 GMT.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

PNSO Styracosaurus

There are QR codes for "stories of creating figures" (Kronosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Lambeosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus are also in the list, so they probably got manual & poster now) on page 7 of both Centrosaurus (AMNH 5239) and Styracosaurus (AMNH 5372) manuals. Not translating them since PNSO official will probably post them on YouTube with English subtitles in a month :p

Common issue: serious details lost on horns (especially spikes on frill).
Promo pic on the box vs actual product:
Spoiler

[close]

Paints on Centrosaurus are too dark, they overcorrected and made Styracosaurusa bit too pale. imo biggest problem is the spikes: too bright, not layered, combined no textures... they look like cheap plastic and barely blend into a highly realistic head.
Spoiler

[close]

The colours are very close to Allosaurus/Carcharodontosaurus plus +30% exposure:
Spoiler

[close]

*rant off*
Overall it's still a decent figure, probably one of the best mass produced Styracosaurus, shame it's few steps away from perfection (shame lots of PNSO stuffs are like this, grr).
Spoiler

[close]

Styracosaurus next to new Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus (sorry only found out phone lost focus on Styracosaurus when the sun is long gone...), and a comparison of skin textures (Pachyrhinosaurus vs Styracosaurus):
Spoiler

[close]

Pliosaurking

I still quite like that styracosaurus even with the drop in paint quality

Duna

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 24, 2022, 01:45:02 PM
I like it a lot, too. But yes, thanks I don't have the Allosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus (I thought both had the same paint scheme, and now the Styraco) so I'm very pleased with the lighter colors and tiger stripes.

SidB

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 24, 2022, 01:45:02 PM
I too, and I'd better, since I've ordered one from the PNSO store on Aliexpress. On a couple of positive notes, the hind legs are just fine, not jumbo-sized as they appeared in a previous cellphone snapshot, so that's great. Also, though there obviously has been a considerable loss of detail on the horn and frill spikes, it's no worse than on the Safari Styraco, and like all paint-work, it can be enhanced/corrected  in the hands of a good paleoartist. Fortunately i have one, if I decide to go in that direction.

JohannesB

Thanks for the detailed pictures of the beautiful Styracosaurus. Detail and paint app do indeed look (very) soft though.

Faelrin

Yeah this drop in paint quality is really disappointing, because it really can detract from how these figures look. That said while the Styracosaurus suffers in this regard (poor blending on face and horns) I still think it looks rather good otherwise.

That said seeing this trend continue does have me concerned on what a possible Acrocanthosaurus will end up like, as far as paint application goes. If I recall correctly though the Allosaurus had a similar style of poor blending on the face, but other then that it didn't suffer much else.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

CarnotaurusKing

I don't think my smile's turned to a frown so quickly as when I saw this image. Got so excited to see a new figure from PNSO as I was scrolling through Instagram, just to see it's a repaint of a now rather middling figure  >:( ::)

Medzo

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 25, 2022, 12:07:17 PM
I don't think my smile's turned to a frown so quickly as when I saw this image. Got so excited to see a new figure from PNSO as I was scrolling through Instagram, just to see it's a repaint of a now rather middling figure  >:( ::)

Meh, also I'm pretty sure the in-hand model will also be totally different in terms of paint application just like in 2019. I guess this is just an easy money grab move PNSO does from time to time.

SRF

This is a bit of a combination of the repaint they did of the Amargasaurus and the announced re-release of Wilson with all the supplemental artwork. I read somewhere that PNSO will probably give the Stegosaurus the same treatment as Wilson. And now with the Spinosaurus they seem to want to make some easy money as well.

Knowing what PNSO did with their T. Rexes in 2020 (releasing a repaint of the first Wilson sculpt first, followed by releasing Winter Wilson about six months later) this could mean that their Christmas release for this year will actually be a new Spinosaurus sculpt. But for now I'm even happier that I pulled the trigger on the 2020 Spinosaurus, which I've actually received yesterday. :)
But today, I'm just being father

Lynx

I might actually buy this version of the Spinosaurus, my problem with the first was the colors, so this looks promising.
Sad to see PNSO is starting to use Papos tactics
An oversized house cat.

Thialfi

Interesting choice. Never really liked this model. Looks weirdly skinny and overly textured. Their newer spino is so much better. But whatever, if it generates money to produce new, unique species I am all for it. Gotta say the paint on this version seems far superior from the original.

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on January 25, 2022, 12:49:04 PM
Interesting choice. Never really liked this model. Looks weirdly skinny and overly textured. Their newer spino is so much better. But whatever, if it generates money to produce new, unique species I am all for it. Gotta say the paint on this version seems far superior from the original.
I have to wonder if this figure was originally over-produced, and didn't sell as well as hoped for, so now a large number of unpainted ones have been given a new paint job in the hopes/expectations that they'll sell better. Certainly the original pint work was pretty drab and a bit of a lost opportunity, so this may be another kick at the can. Another oddity with this specimen is that is was bootlegged, selling for about $15 or so on Aliexpress, before it gradually disappeared. To my knowledge, this was the only 1/35 ish scale PNSO figure that was subject to a bootlegging grab.
They really need to ensure that the drop-off in coloration in the actual release isn't too sharp.

paleochris

I am not a fan of this repainting tactic that PNSO now practices.

Having bought the first version in 2019, I feel a little robbed when I see this new paint which is definitely much better than the first one, but it tempts me to buy this second spinosaurus when I would prefer a new species.

Bread

The repaint is an improvement but to me the issue is the re-use of this model, which is outdated. I would have rather seen their newer and updated Spinosaurus receive a change in color scheme.

JohannesB

Well, this makes it very easy for me to skip 'another' Spinosaurus figure ;-)

Antey

Quote from: SidB on January 25, 2022, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on January 25, 2022, 12:49:04 PM
I have to wonder if this figure was originally over-produced, and didn't sell as well as hoped for, so now a large number of unpainted ones have been given a new paint job in the hopes/expectations that they'll sell better. Certainly the original pint work was pretty drab and a bit of a lost opportunity, so this may be another kick at the can. Another oddity with this specimen is that is was bootlegged, selling for about $15 or so on Aliexpress, before it gradually disappeared. To my knowledge, this was the only 1/35 ish scale PNSO figure that was subject to a bootlegging grab.
They really need to ensure that the drop-off in coloration in the actual release isn't too sharp.
It seems to me that the previous version of Doyle was also a fake, which was sold without a stand in the countries of Southeast Asia. As for this spino repainting, the only explanation is to get rid of the stock of the unpopular figurine. Though I doubt the new paint job will help sales. Unless it sells below cost.
PNSO, your Campanian ceratopsians and hadrosaurs lack tyrannosaurids! Where is Daspletosaurus and Albertosaurus with Gorgosaurus?!

Carnoking

I actually prefer this paint job to the original, but i don't know if it's enough to save the weird sculpt. Still, if I'm going to have one version of it, id prefer this repaint. Might lie in wait for a sale, and if I can get it for roughly the same price I could sell the old one for then I'll jump on it.

Faelrin

Easy pass for me. Although the new coloration is nice, I really don't care for that sculpt. Too many anatomical issues with it from the time it was made, nevermind the now outdated tail as well. I still prefer their 2020 one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bokisaurus

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 25, 2022, 12:07:17 PM

I love this repaint mainly due to the eyespot on the sail which was one of the original prototypes design we saw way back in 2016 which I really liked. The colors are also much more exciting that the original.
As outdated as this model is, it was the best of it during its time for me and still holds a special place and presence in my collection.

So PNSO release repaint of old model, the majority of companies do that to refresh old models all the time, nothing wrong with that at all.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: