News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 25, 2022, 04:09:29 PM
So PNSO release repaint of old model, the majority of companies do that to refresh old models all the time, nothing wrong with that at all.
I think it is more so the issue that this reconstruction is outdated. I think the majority of us would praise it more if the newer Spinosaurus received a repaint rather than this model.

Again, like you said, the model is wonderful especially for its time, but currently a decent amount of us have the 1.0 version and this one most certainly will cost $60, which some of aren't willing to pay just for a repaint.

Primeval12

Call me cynical but hopefully I can get the old one on clearance because of this repaint...

Shane

Interesting to see the tide turn on the PNSO Spino, I remember it was highly coveted when it was first teased.

I have the original in a box somewhere, and it's neat, but a little wonky, especially in the forearms.

What's interesting to me is that it has the most accurate tail speculation among the "pre-tail description" figures. It's laterally compressed with a sort of "fin" along the top.

Not as extreme as the actual tail ended up being, but still surprisingly close knowing what we know now.

Sim

Quote from: SRF on January 25, 2022, 12:24:28 PM
This is a bit of a combination of the repaint they did of the Amargasaurus and the announced re-release of Wilson with all the supplemental artwork. I read somewhere that PNSO will probably give the Stegosaurus the same treatment as Wilson. And now with the Spinosaurus they seem to want to make some easy money as well.

Knowing what PNSO did with their T. Rexes in 2020 (releasing a repaint of the first Wilson sculpt first, followed by releasing Winter Wilson about six months later) this could mean that their Christmas release for this year will actually be a new Spinosaurus sculpt. But for now I'm even happier that I pulled the trigger on the 2020 Spinosaurus, which I've actually received yesterday. :)

The Wilson treatment I'd like the Stegosaurus to get is a repaint.  As for this disappointing Spinosaurus repaint, it's a bit different to what they did with Wilson, as the Wilson repaint was released in the "medium size" line and without a base.  This Spinosaurus is still in the museum line and still has a base.  It's more like what PNSO did to their Amargasaurus.  Who knows though, maybe PNSO will release a new Spinosaurus for Christmas this year.  Or better still, a new Amargasaurus! :)

SidB

Quote from: Shane on January 25, 2022, 07:00:08 PM
Interesting to see the tide turn on the PNSO Spino, I remember it was highly coveted when it was first teased.

I have the original in a box somewhere, and it's neat, but a little wonky, especially in the forearms.

What's interesting to me is that it has the most accurate tail speculation among the "pre-tail description" figures. It's laterally compressed with a sort of "fin" along the top.

Not as extreme as the actual tail ended up being, but still surprisingly close knowing what we know now.
I've felt that way about the tail on mine too: in some way it sort of anticipates the current configuration, perhaps more realistically than the Papo Spino's eel-like tail.
In my perception of this sculpt, it has always had a kind of dragonish look about it, which I like, though it's only a stylized interpretive thing, of course. The leanness of the figure contributes to the dragon look, but might be inappropriate for this aquatic creature, since a wider dorsal aspect would likely give it better stability while swimming. The current PNSO Spinosaurus captures the right balance better.

stargatedalek

Why would they repaint that old one and not at least their newer one? Unsold stock?

Takama

not sure if this would be considered the right place, but PNSOs Books can now be found in Bookstores now in the USA At least

Not sure if this Old News

Bread

Thanks for the info avatar_Takama @Takama
I actually had no clue about their books being in book stores now. Guess I am going to go track one down now.

SidB

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 25, 2022, 11:37:28 PM
Why would they repaint that old one and not at least their newer one? Unsold stock?
Unsold stock makes a whole lot of sense - flogging the inventory is sensible on their part. The newly repainted old version of the Spino has a lot more curb appeal than the original (assuming it survives the production process as advertised).

Shonisaurus

These photographs of the novelties of the styracosaurus, the book of prehistoric animals of PNSO and the spinosaurus have given me a joy for my eyes. I have not been in these days for a bilateral hernia operation by lateroscopic which I am recovering from at home.

The repainted spinosaurus reminds me of a limited version of that repainted spinosaurus I think very few copies were made that were not marketed outside of China, it cost a lot of money, and those repainted Essen figures were issued at the end of 2020 along with another repainted figure of the triceratops in a limited version that I bought and is in my collection. I don't think it has the same paint scheme.

On the other hand, the PNSO styracosaurus is gorgeous! Honestly it is an extraordinary improvement in quality, paint application and texture of the styracosaurus and centrosaurus by PNSO with respect to their predecessors spinops, machairoceratops and sinoceratops. I think PNSO is making the best toy ceratopsids on the market today, from a scientific standpoint.

On the other hand, PNSO is making a rather cool visual encyclopedia of prehistoric animals, with the best illustrations by Zhao Chuang. It is good that they dedicate the theme of pterosaurs and marine reptiles in two different books and the information is broader with respect to animal books than most publishers have accustomed us to, where they include all the species of prehistoric animals of the Mesozoic together .

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 25, 2022, 12:07:17 PM
I don't think my smile's turned to a frown so quickly as when I saw this image. Got so excited to see a new figure from PNSO as I was scrolling through Instagram, just to see it's a repaint of a now rather middling figure  >:( ::)

This shows how much PNSO has improved over the years. I'm glad they no longer make these skinny malnourished-looking models. I like my dinos healthy and well-fed.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on January 25, 2022, 12:07:17 PM
I don't think my smile's turned to a frown so quickly as when I saw this image. Got so excited to see a new figure from PNSO as I was scrolling through Instagram, just to see it's a repaint of a now rather middling figure  >:( ::)

While the figure itself looks really nice, I don't think its too controversial to say that I'm kind of disappointed by this reveal. I'm not opposed to repaints, but PNSO deciding to repaint a figure that has already been 'replaced' by an anatomically updated variant (in this case Essien 2020), presumably because a repaint of the larger figure would make more money, feels like even more of a purely profit driven choice than simply repainting an old release.
I might just be reading too much into this, but either way, I think I'll be sitting this one out.
* (It's locked.)

suspsy

Overall, I've been rather disappointed by PNSO's repaints. They strike me as boring.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Speaking of this repaint, does anyone recall that teaser of a "new" Spinosaurus a few months back? Well I guess this was really it.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on January 26, 2022, 11:12:28 PM
Speaking of this repaint, does anyone recall that teaser of a "new" Spinosaurus a few months back? Well I guess this was really it.

I think folks were looking forward to a bigger version of the newer sculpt, right? 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: suspsy on January 26, 2022, 08:56:48 PM
Overall, I've been rather disappointed by PNSO's repaints. They strike me as boring.

I know it probably won't happen because I rarely read anything on here about Gamba, which means I'm probably in a small group of people that even like that figure.  BUT, I would not mind if they re-released it with a better paint job because I feel that's it's biggest weakness. One of my favorite PNSO paint schemes ever is the one on the Corythosaurus, if I could get a Gamba in that scheme I wouldn't even think twice about buying a duplicate which is usually a no no for me.

I would settle for a Gamba with the same exact colors just minus the stripes.  Gamba has almost no style in his stripes they're just plain bands from side to side.  Compared to the complexity of patterns put on paul or Connor, or Domingo.  He looks to just have had some stripes slapped on which is a shame considering the beautiful fading and coloration underneath that mess.  He would be so much better without the stripes kind of like chunkysaurus looks fine without any stripes.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 11:32:37 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 26, 2022, 08:56:48 PM

I know it probably won't happen because I rarely read anything on here about Gamba, which means I'm probably in a small group of people that even like that figure.  BUT, I would not mind if they re-released it with a better paint job because I feel that's it's biggest weakness. One of my favorite PNSO paint schemes ever is the one on the Corythosaurus, if I could get a Gamba in that scheme I wouldn't even think twice about buying a duplicate which is usually a no no for me.

I would settle for a Gamba with the same exact colors just minus the stripes.  Gamba has almost no style in his stripes they're just plain bands from side to side.  Compared to the complexity of patterns put on paul or Connor, or Domingo.  He looks to just have had some stripes slapped on which is a shame considering the beautiful fading and coloration underneath that mess.  He would be so much better without the stripes kind of like chunkysaurus looks fine without any stripes.

I think you have a point there on Gamba. If you look at how PNSO's theropods are rated on the Dinotoycollector website, it actually has the highest average rating together with Wilson, the 2020 Spino and the Yutyrannus but it is probably the one that is least talked about. I think that has mainly to do with the GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus being released around the same time. And part of all the fuss around the GR Toys Carchar, was of course its coloration.
But today, I'm just being father

SenSx

So, this is the final release before a long time with the Chinese new year...
Disappointing, but I'm sure they will have many good things for us when they go back to buisness in March or April.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SenSx on January 27, 2022, 01:34:24 PM
So, this is the final release before a long time with the Chinese new year...
Disappointing, but I'm sure they will have many good things for us when they go back to buisness in March or April.

I was hoping for the arcocanthosaurus to be announced soon but I can wait.  I'm still looking forward to getting the styracosaurus once amazon offers it on sale which won't be long, the triceratops and the Iguanodon are already on prime and on sale but I probably won't be buying either of them.

Bread

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 11:17:15 PM
Quote from: Bread on January 26, 2022, 11:12:28 PM

I think folks were looking forward to a bigger version of the newer sculpt, right?
Yes, it was anticipated quite a bit since the biggest complaint about that figure is its size.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: