News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 09, 2022, 05:07:09 PM
Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on March 09, 2022, 01:12:49 PM
Quote from: Shane on March 09, 2022, 01:09:26 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 09, 2022, 05:50:46 AM

Is it the airbrushed paintwork, the materials they use, the CAD mold creation, is it something special PNSO does or perhaps external issues outside their control driving up these costs?    I have a theory that the prices are at least in part driven up by all these new molds they seem to cut year round.  It almost seems like they're producing more new figures than everyone else combined.  Is it possible that they have a large group of researchers and artists involved in making the figures?  I don't know that to be true but it sure seems like it.  Otherwise those guys must be working themselves to the bone at the rate they're turning out figures.

I can't speak to what PNSO does specifically because I don't know their process, but generally the more precision and detail that goes into the figure requires more expensive molds, more costly paint apps, etc. Even though PNSO gets some flack for favoring muddy browns, there are still a lot of separate applications and they're all applied very precisely, which adds to costs.

They've also always had very sturdy packaging with full color graphics and full color booklets. Looking at figures like Lambeosaurus or Pachyrhinosaurus, I can't see how they applied a $22.99 price point to those and made any money. In my opinion their base price point always should have been higher.

Additionally, I imagine they have smaller production runs relatively, this can also increase costs per piece, and means they have to have a higher per figure price point to recoup costs. That, and the large amount of figures they release in a short amount of time also requires a significant upfront investment.

Also, across the board, raw material costs have risen recently, higher than expected. That cost either gets absorbed or passed along, and PNSO may not have had the buffer in place to absorb it.
Thank you for bringing attention to this and to similar things for other companies, Shane. This perspective is really important to keep in mind when taking costs into consideration, even on other companies like Safari and the like.

There really is so much we simply don't know about the entire PNSO production to make a fair judgment.

And why are people so harshly critical of the museum line? It's a Niche market, targeting a very different type of collectors that may want something different.
For people to dismiss and trash the additions of the artworks included in museum line models as "fluff " or just and excuse to raise price really is missing the whole point.

There are people that actually like those additions believe it or not. The artwork are beautiful, and there are collectors who want and appreciate them. They are beautiful pieces of art- if you can't appreciate that, that's all fine but no need to trash the concept just because you don't like it.

The museum line again is a niche market, just another part of PNSO variety of levels they offer, it's not for everyone.

As for the lower price of the first few PNSO models, those under $25? You know, the pandemic happened and really created a chaotic and difficult situation.
Has anyone ever thought about the possibility that PNSO may have continued with a lower priced point if the pandemic never happened? We will never know.
And these items are all still sold at that price and not increased.

PNSO or any other companies don't "owe" us any explanation at all for their business decisions. Expecting such is just being entitled 🤷🏻‍♂️.
No one is complaining about the other high end pvc models brands price  out there that are also increased in price and often beyond your typical price range .

In the end, we make our choice as what to spend our money at.

B @Bokisaurus

Great post!  You highlight the pandemic which has clearly affected so many things.  I hope my issues with the premium line haven't been taken as harsh critizism of PNSO.  We see luxury options offered in just about everything you can image, we can buy the regular plain black phone for $150 or we can splurge for the more exclusive gold plated version for $200 etc... 

I'm not trying to speak for everyone but simply trying to interpret the frustration folks have and I don't see it as entitlement as much as I think it's just confusing.  On the one hand you have larger figure (more expensive to produce) with exquisite paintwork that you can buy for $42.99 and on the other hand you have a smaller figure (less expensive to produce) in fancy box with add ons for $59.99-69.99.  I believe that the premium line should be offered for ALL of the releases.  Especially for all those folks that want the extra goodies.  Conversely ALL figures should be offered in prehistoric line for those that do not want all the bells and whistles. 

It's actually good business to offer the "option" and let the cconsumer have a choice of at what price point they're willing to purchase the figure.  I even went as far as proposing that PNSO could have alternate fancier and enhanced paint jobs for the premium versions to create exclusivity and generate interest from people that would most likely buy both.  So an opportunity to get more money out of the prehistoric line molds has been lost there.  Also if you limited the number of copies in the museum line say 5% of production and only in the original run they would literally be almost guaranteed of selling each and everyone of those piece as collectors would jump on those right away.

But what about those of us that want to spend less?  I think we would be happier too, even if our paint scheme was less intricate or whatever.  Personally,  I'd be happy getting the tsintausaurus at the $34.99-42.99 price point with a less fancy coat of paint and without the posters etc...  but that's just me.  Right now I feel like I'm missing out on that sculpt because I don't care for the rest of the goodies and I just want the figure.  So that's $42.99 PNSO isn't going to get from me.  In addition, I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to buy some prehistoric line models with a fancier premium museum line coat of paint, like the chubbysaurus, the new zhuchengtyrannus, gamba, and connor.  That's an additional $300 plus dollars that PNSO could gladly have from me if they offered those in a premium line with all the bells and whistles.

They could even have a third low price point for parents with little kids and younger collectors.  They could accomplish this by offering the figures UNPAINTED and unboxed in most affordable but safe PVC possible.  I'm not 100% but wouldn't it be safer for kids to play with unpainted toys? 

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on March 09, 2022, 05:08:49 PM
Do you think the price for these museum figures could've shaved off $5 if they just had the packaging and presentation of the regular line? Coming down from a whopping $60 price tag to $55? I'm not implying they should be cheap figures, but the shipping, material & ink costs alone for all this fluff surely adds up to at least a couple of dollars.

i.e.
- no base
- no booklets
- only a single poster insert
- thinner cardboard box
- plastic protector casing instead of foam

To be honest, the packaging and presentation for the regular line alone is more than necessary already. Eofauna, Safari, CollectA, Papo, or Schleich...none of them use boxes for their figures at all and the extras the figures include are limited, but also appreciated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not telling them what to do, but even though I love art and posters most are still in their boxes here. I just don't have the wall space , when it comes to displaying a few new figures vs an art book/poster I just choose the figures.  I actually was almost tempted with the Triceratops set because it came with the skull replica.  That could be an option for extras, a fossil replica or something like would keep the price point and make it still "museum worthy" instead of all the printed material.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shane on March 09, 2022, 04:57:51 PM
What I'm saying is the figures have always had full color booklets and fancy packaging, even at the earlier lower price points.

These alone are not things that will massively contribute to the price, but they aren't nothing, and they've been present from the get go. Additionally, a poster or insert isn't going to cost as much as a multi-page, full color booklet.

Adding more inserts and maybe a generic base certainly have a cost to them, but it's not a huge amount in the grand scheme, and is likely just to give more perceived value.

I think people got spoiled by the initial prices that were just not something that could be supported long term. If they removed these newer additional fluff pieces, the price likely wouldn't come down by much and they'd still have complaints about their figures costing too much.

Bottom line, the figures themselves, based on their size and level of detail, are just going to be expensive figures. It's not super realistic to expect that level of detail to be super affordable, even if it was for a brief period.

S @Shane
You are correct, even the regular boxes are pretty fancy too.  They're solid and made from good material and the graphics are top notch, plus the vaccu-formed plastic protects the figures really well. 

The first PNSO I bought I thought, great now where do I stash this box?  But now I like that I'm able to store them without worrying about paint chipping or the figure becoming deformed or breaking.  At first I thought it was pretentious and unnecessary, but I've done a complete about face on this.  Now I interpret the boxes as not only beautiful and solid protection for my figures but also as PNSO making a statement.  They're saying, look, this is premium level figure that deserves to be taken care of properly.  They're deservedly taking pride in their work, and that's how I interpret the boxes now :)

Shane

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 09, 2022, 07:40:22 PM

You are correct, even the regular boxes are pretty fancy too.  They're solid and made from good material and the graphics are top notch, plus the vaccu-formed plastic protects the figures really well. 

The first PNSO I bought I thought, great now where do I stash this box?  But now I like that I'm able to store them without worrying about paint chipping or the figure becoming deformed or breaking.  At first I thought it was pretentious and unnecessary, but I've done a complete about face on this.  Now I interpret the boxes as not only beautiful and solid protection for my figures but also as PNSO making a statement.  They're saying, look, this is premium level figure that deserves to be taken care of properly.  They're deservedly taking pride in their work, and that's how I interpret the boxes now :)

For better or for worse, it's clear that presentation is very important to PNSO's brand. We can wish and hope that they scale back on the non-figural aspects of their presentation, but it's obvious that they feel it's an important part of the total package.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 09, 2022, 07:01:18 PM
Not telling them what to do, but even though I love art and posters most are still in their boxes here. I just don't have the wall space , when it comes to displaying a few new figures vs an art book/poster I just choose the figures.  I actually was almost tempted with the Triceratops set because it came with the skull replica.  That could be an option for extras, a fossil replica or something like would keep the price point and make it still "museum worthy" instead of all the printed material.
Agreed all around. If not fossils perhaps even babies or small animals specifically built to interact somehow. IE small birds posed exactly so they can be balanced on a dinosaurs back (slotted/shaped to fit on, not permanently attached).

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Shane on March 09, 2022, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 09, 2022, 07:40:22 PM

For better or for worse, it's clear that presentation is very important to PNSO's brand. We can wish and hope that they scale back on the non-figural aspects of their presentation, but it's obvious that they feel it's an important part of the total package.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek funny you say that! When I started to write a review (planned but never finished) about the new museum mamenchisaurus and the concept of the line, I actually wrote that it would have been a better and more exciting concept if they went with the whole additions of smaller figures like what they did to Biber by giving Rook!

Can you imagine if they would instead add a figure of a small dinosaur or other animals that coexist with the main figure one as an extra 😃 for the line?
It would be the perfect vehicle to make small animals that normally wouldn't be made as a stand alone due to their small size.

It could be an alternating between baby, prey, skull, or just neighbors. It would really be a unique line.

Hmmm, maybe I'll be motivated to finish that review.🤔

S @Shane i agree and thank you for trying to shed some light on an issue that is much more complex that what people think.😃

Bokisaurus

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS no, I don't think you're being too harsh at all.
And I can see where there is a confusion.
Your comment about having options may make a lot of sense, in fact PNSO has already done that with the mini figures having larger counterparts.
Now the museum line is different since PNSO has blurred the line in terms of quality of the models between these two lines.

I worked in retail for many year and have been involved in both products development as well as concept.
What I learned is that with products that are so close, you really have to do something different, something extra that would set the two apart.
It's easy with the mini figures since they are vastly different in size and cost.
Now with the regular line and museum line where the price , quality and size difference are not that big between the two lines, the whole idea of alternate options become more complicated simply because you don't want the other line (standard) sales cannibalizing the others sales (museum).

And I don't believe that the museum line is as big of a money maker as many think.
Again, the ML is a niche market for those collectors who want not just the figures but the art as well.
The artwork are beautiful and I have purchased some of the PNSO book not for the information but simply just for the art.
It's how I look at these additions to the ML.
It's not for everyone, and it's not my preferred concept (see my reply to Stargate), but it is what it is. The ML is probably profitable just enough for PNSO to continue it.

Also PNSO have been choosing the least popular animals to feature in the ML with the exception of the two rexes. The others are popular and iconic but nowhere near the big buster sales generating as the large theropods.
They could have easily made the entire line of T. rex species as ML and make more $$$.

Anyway, I do understand the frustration of not being able to get the model due to its price. I lament not being able to afford the W-dragon and Nanmu brachiosaurus, the cost with shipping and taxes more than double the price!

And I have no issues with your criticism at all, in fact you are one of the very few that constantly defending PNSO from the onslaughts of negative comments, for that I commend you.😃 after all you do offer criticism after having purchased the model and seen it in person. At least you are balanced in your  supporting and criticizing PNSO .
Cheers!😃

Duck

The next figure could be revealed any day now I think.
He who dwells in pond

SRF

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 10, 2022, 01:06:29 AM

And I don't believe that the museum line is as big of a money maker as many think.
Again, the ML is a niche market for those collectors who want not just the figures but the art as well.
The artwork are beautiful and I have purchased some of the PNSO book not for the information but simply just for the art.
It's how I look at these additions to the ML.
It's not for everyone, and it's not my preferred concept (see my reply to Stargate), but it is what it is. The ML is probably profitable just enough for PNSO to continue it.

Also PNSO have been choosing the least popular animals to feature in the ML with the exception of the two rexes. The others are popular and iconic but nowhere near the big buster sales generating as the large theropods.
They could have easily made the entire line of T. rex species as ML and make more $$$.

I do agree that the ML isn't necessarily the big money maker for PNSO, but I do think that they actually choose the more popular animals to go into the Museum Line so they can charge more for popular species. With the Triceratops, Stegosaurus and Iguanodon, PNSO has definitely chosen to release the more popular herbivores in the Museum Line. They've also could have released Parasaurolophus in the Museum Line, but at the time it seemed that they were focussing more on expanding the Prehistoric Animals line.

An adult 1:35 Spinosaurus and a new Giganotosaurus will definitely also be released in the Museum Line. I don't think genusses like Tarbosaurus, Yutyrannus and Torvosaurus are more popular than Triceratops and Stegosaurus. Carnotaurus and Allosaurus maybe are, but they are too small to release in the more expensive line. Also with the Tarbosaurus and now the Zhuchengtyrannus, PNSO seems to give people an alternative for the more expensive T. Rexes from the Museum Line. To me that seems as a quite logical business choice. 
But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

Quote from: Duck on March 10, 2022, 03:20:23 PM

I've noticed they tend to make these announcements on mondays, thursdays, fridays and sundays. Also it looks like they don't announce a new figure until the previous one is available from all their shops.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling the next reveal will be the Sinraptor and the Acrocanthosaurus will be the last, probably after the Torosaurus.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Concavenator on March 10, 2022, 04:12:37 PM

I've noticed they tend to make these announcements on mondays, thursdays, fridays and sundays. Also it looks like they don't announce a new figure until the previous one is available from all their shops.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling the next reveal will be the Sinraptor and the Acrocanthosaurus will be the last, probably after the Torosaurus.

Hopefully all three of those end up in the prehistoric line, but I doubt it. The triceratops was going to be my first museum line purchase and I really wanted the skull.  But then I started really really looking at it and I was finding that I disliked more things about it than I actually liked and I just couldn't pull the trigger.  Something tells me that the Torosaurus will be a museum line piece and that's okay, as long as I like it and it doesn't have a movable jaw, IT might become my first museum line piece.  And they don't need to add a skull although that would be much preferred over the base that Tsintaosaurus got.  The Arcocanthosaurus would have to be terrible for me not to get it and that's highly unlikely.  At some point I'll be forced to shell out that $70 because I can't resist those theropods.  The Sinraptor will probably be a big overscale like Domingo and A-Shu.  Unlike those two tho it should have the new skin look and hopefully the camouflage pattern will be interesting.  I'm already considering buying A-Shu so the Sinraptor might push me over the edge and then I'd have the pair to display together.

Duck

I'll buy the Acro no matter the price, I really love that dinosaur.
He who dwells in pond

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 10, 2022, 05:00:28 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on March 10, 2022, 04:12:37 PM

Hopefully all three of those end up in the prehistoric line, but I doubt it. The triceratops was going to be my first museum line purchase and I really wanted the skull.  But then I started really really looking at it and I was finding that I disliked more things about it than I actually liked and I just couldn't pull the trigger.  Something tells me that the Torosaurus will be a museum line piece and that's okay, as long as I like it and it doesn't have a movable jaw, IT might become my first museum line piece.  And they don't need to add a skull although that would be much preferred over the base that Tsintaosaurus got.  The Arcocanthosaurus would have to be terrible for me not to get it and that's highly unlikely.  At some point I'll be forced to shell out that $70 because I can't resist those theropods.  The Sinraptor will probably be a big overscale like Domingo and A-Shu.  Unlike those two tho it should have the new skin look and hopefully the camouflage pattern will be interesting.  I'm already considering buying A-Shu so the Sinraptor might push me over the edge and then I'd have the pair to display together.

I really hope that Torosaurus gets the same treatment compared to Triceratops as Tarbosaurus compared to Tyrannosaurus. Meaning that it would be a Prehistoric Animal models line release. 
But today, I'm just being father

SenSx

I expect the Acro to be a museum line as well, this dino is such an iconic long overdue specie.
This is the only recent museum line figure I will buy no matter the price IF they do it justice !

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: SenSx on March 11, 2022, 02:25:54 PM
I expect the Acro to be a museum line as well, this dino is such an iconic long overdue specie.
This is the only recent museum line figure I will buy no matter the price IF they do it justice !

A 1/35 Acrocanthosaurus would be about the same size as the Tarbosaurus or Zhuchengtyrannus. Fame is a subjective thing, but I'd say Carcharodontosaurus is about as, or even more famous than Acrocanthosaurus, and the same probably goes for Tarbosaurus. At least, I hope so.

Flaffy

I wonder if this is the reason why PNSO has yet to make a Psittacosaurus model.

SenSx

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on March 11, 2022, 02:37:57 PM

A 1/35 Acrocanthosaurus would be about the same size as the Tarbosaurus or Zhuchengtyrannus. Fame is a subjective thing, but I'd say Carcharodontosaurus is about as, or even more famous than Acrocanthosaurus, and the same probably goes for Tarbosaurus. At least, I hope so.

It's probably subjective, yes.
What made me see the Acrocanthosaurus more famous for me is that he probably was the largest predator of its time + his more unique appearance with its spine.

Leyster

Quote from: SenSx on March 11, 2022, 03:47:55 PM

What made me see the Acrocanthosaurus more famous for me is that he probably was the largest predator of its time
Well, not exactly, Tyrannotitan is more or less coeval and is at least as big, and probably bigger, than the biggest Acrocanthosaurus specimen.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SenSx on March 11, 2022, 03:47:55 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on March 11, 2022, 02:37:57 PM

It's probably subjective, yes.
What made me see the Acrocanthosaurus more famous for me is that he probably was the largest predator of its time + his more unique appearance with its spine.

I guess I never really considered how big of an animal it actually was.  Heck, even if it had been a 15 foot animal, to me the spine is the main feature that has always captured my imagination.  It's just so unusual and it makes me wonder about display colors and things of that nature.  For all I know it might've been used for thermal regulation or been some kind of hump like thing to store water like a camel.  IDK, but I like to imagine that it was covered with fancy colors and patterns for display.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: