News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GR Toys / Haolonggood - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 07, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on April 22, 2022, 08:00:10 PM
It might be a step down from the Carcharodontosaurus, but it's still among the better Tyrannosaurus models. Though that's not saying much, because only the Safari, PNSO and Battat models have it beat, and, soon enough, EoFauna and BotM. Interested in seeing how the Acrocanthosaurus turns out, though.

Rebors Kiss and Tusk are much more promising than this one as well. And then there is that upcoming T. Imperator model from Ancestors. All in all, GR Toys dropped the ball on this one in a market with a diversity of new Tyrannosaurus offerings.
But today, I'm just being father

SenSx

it's a pass for me, bring on the  Acrocanthosaurus !

Bread

Late to comment on the first reveal of their rex. I am really disappointed with this. They had such a beautiful resin model of this genus, and I was really expecting to receive something similar to it in figure form. Well, this is what we got and I am surely disappointed. Now, like others have said its a good generic looking Tyrannosaurus, but not what some of us want. Hopefully their Acrocanthosaurus steps back up to their previous releases in terms of quality and accuracy.

Psittacoraptor

It looks so different from what they've done before. Maybe they're trying to test the waters for less scientific and more stylized/pop culture-influenced models? It would be a real shame if they went into that direction.

Medzo

Paint application looks having a better quality we've seen before, but the model itself is very 'meh'.

SidB

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on April 23, 2022, 02:38:40 PM
It looks so different from what they've done before. Maybe they're trying to test the waters for less scientific and more stylized/pop culture-influenced models? It would be a real shame if they went into that direction.
Interesting point. Perhaps on the wider, mass market, that will be successful.

Abobo

Carnoking

I think it's really the teeth that are throwing me...

Carnoking

Yeah, I thought so. Just a very quick, low effort photoshop to see how it would look without the big chompers hanging out. I didn't alter the skull shape at all, and all I added to the sculpt were some textures from their previous Carcharodontosaurus for the extra oral tissue just to get the broad strokes of the idea down. I may not know much but I don't think that's a half-bad rex head. It's really just those massive, dangling teeth that are throwing me.

Faras

Hmm some new rumours: sculptors of Mu See were working for PNSO and made old Wilson before 2019 (there were 6-7 people in PNSO studio at that time). PNSO made T. rex with lips mould in 2015 but decided to discard it. Haolonggood chose "cool" lipless reconstruction to cater mass market and adjusted teeth according to WeChat group feedbacks.

Edit: Owner of Haolonggood possibly learnt sculpting from PNSO studio before taking Mu See into the business. T. rex paints were designed by 郞钰 and 老绅士 (Judging from styles I think brown version came from 老绅士. Carcharodontosaurus paints was desinged by 南也).

Anyways imo the teeth are exaggerated, shape of head seems a bit weird, tail is too long, and overall it's too skinny. This could be a great release 3 years ago, but the market has evolved too much... ::)

Thialfi

The PNSO link is not surprising. This has such a Wilson 1.0 vibe. Pity. I can see the work they put in, but it feels the model is already overtaken by efforts from PNSO (Winter Wilson) and Rebor (Tusk) before it's even released. And the teeth, yeah.

SidB

Yes, avatar_Faras @Faras , three years ago this figure would have achieved a rather more positive reception from the DTF, but clearly, that time has passed.

vampiredesign

:)There are too many historical stories. Tyrannosaurus Rex is not so bad or so good. This species is also an attempt. I did the painting of brown and green, including Fengshen's painting design. I'm also trying to be more suitable for production. Although there are many unfriendly remarks in China, they will not hinder the development of our intention. We accept criticism and feedback with an open mind. We are not very good, but we have been working hard. Thank you. :)

ceratopsian

I like the brown paint scheme a lot V @vampiredesign. But I have many Tyrannosaurus rexes in my collection and do not want another. I look forward to the next model from GR Toys.

stargatedalek

Paint app is amazing as always, just not a fan of the enlarged teeth. Those crests are a neat idea though!

Concavenator

V @vampiredesign I disagree with GR Toys not being very good. You may be a recent company, but based on your releases until now, I'm quite confident calling your company one of the best already when it comes to producing scientific representations of prehistoric creatures. When it comes to accuracy, there are some quirks here and there: the Spinosaurus' hands and the Quetzalcoatlus' proportions come to mind. Still, it's evident you pay attention to accuracy and do research before making new models, and I much appreciate it. This time, with the Tyrannosaurus there are some inaccuracies with the model. avatar_Faras @Faras pretty much nailed them here (related to head shape I also want to add that Tyrannosaurus possessed binocular vision). "Lips" are a controversial topic, but in doubt I would include them.

Quote from: Faras on April 23, 2022, 06:00:59 PM
Anyways imo the teeth are exaggerated, shape of head seems a bit weird, tail is too long, and overall it's too skinny.

In general, I hope these accuracy related observations serve as constructive criticism. According to Paleofiguras, you guys at GR Toys are already making some changes to the sculpt, which is a nice detail coming from you, it means our observations are being observed and taken into consideration. As an example, David Silva, after reading fan's comments claiming the BotM Teratophoneus' neck was too thin, beefed it up, and so, it's now more accurate. It's undeniable the final figure that will be released will be better than what it would have been like if he ignored those comments. Regarding the GR Toys Tyrannosaurus, since it's still not released, I'm sure some changes can be made in order for it to be a better figure. It's not too late until it's too late.

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 24, 2022, 05:16:27 PM
Paint app is amazing as always

True.

Sim

The GR Toys Tyrannosaurus reminds me of their Spinosaurus, it has the same crude-ish look.  However I'm liking this Tyrannosaurus more than the Spinosaurus.  I have a few suggestions though if it's not too late: 1. Remove the pink line around the teeth on the outside, it makes no sense without lips.  The green Tyrannosaurus doesn't have it which makes it better in my opinion, but I'm not sure I like that one enough to get it.  I wouldn't get the brown one if it has that pink around the teeth.  2. Making the head crests above the eyes meet looks good to me, it makes more sense than the odd 'double-crested' look usually adopted, but Tyrannosaurus had only two crests on each side of the head so the small first crests on the GR Toys model should be removed.

vampiredesign

Quote from: Sim on April 24, 2022, 07:14:55 PM
The GR Toys Tyrannosaurus reminds me of their Spinosaurus, it has the same crude-ish look.  However I'm liking this Tyrannosaurus more than the Spinosaurus.  I have a few suggestions though if it's not too late: 1. Remove the pink line around the teeth on the outside, it makes no sense without lips.  The green Tyrannosaurus doesn't have it which makes it better in my opinion, but I'm not sure I like that one enough to get it.  I wouldn't get the brown one if it has that pink around the teeth.  2. Making the head crests above the eyes meet looks good to me, it makes more sense than the odd 'double-crested' look usually adopted, but Tyrannosaurus had only two crests on each side of the head so the small first crests on the GR Toys model should be removed.
Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2022, 05:28:21 PM
V @vampiredesign I disagree with GR Toys not being very good. You may be a recent company, but based on your releases until now, I'm quite confident calling your company one of the best already when it comes to producing scientific representations of prehistoric creatures. When it comes to accuracy, there are some quirks here and there: the Spinosaurus' hands and the Quetzalcoatlus' proportions come to mind. Still, it's evident you pay attention to accuracy and do research before making new models, and I much appreciate it. This time, with the Tyrannosaurus there are some inaccuracies with the model. avatar_Faras @Faras pretty much nailed them here (related to head shape I also want to add that Tyrannosaurus possessed binocular vision). "Lips" are a controversial topic, but in doubt I would include them.

Quote from: Faras on April 23, 2022, 06:00:59 PM
Anyways imo the teeth are exaggerated, shape of head seems a bit weird, tail is too long, and overall it's too skinny.

In general, I hope these accuracy related observations serve as constructive criticism. According to Paleofiguras, you guys at GR Toys are already making some changes to the sculpt, which is a nice detail coming from you, it means our observations are being observed and taken into consideration. As an example, David Silva, after reading fan's comments claiming the BotM Teratophoneus' neck was too thin, beefed it up, and so, it's now more accurate. It's undeniable the final figure that will be released will be better than what it would have been like if he ignored those comments. Regarding the GR Toys Tyrannosaurus, since it's still not released, I'm sure some changes can be made in order for it to be a better figure. It's not too late until it's too late.

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 24, 2022, 05:16:27 PM
Paint app is amazing as always

True.

:)Thank you for your information. Thank you very much. The creator of the model has some ideas of his own. At that time, we also provided suggestions. At present, it is a sample of resin. The PVC model is somewhat changed. There is double-sided vision. There has been internal controversy about the tail before. The experiment considered standing stability, so it was lengthened.
When creating the model, we will refer to the materials for production. Some designs may have some exaggerations or some ideas of the designer. The company supports such behavior and respects the creation of the designer. It is inevitable that some places are not done well. This is also an attempt.
Thank you very much for your expectation and attention. We will try our best to do better. There are many color schemes for this painting, and we are constantly optimizing and selecting. Secondly, the quality of products is our focus, because the mold is ready. A sample of PVC will come out soon.

Faras

If I may, V @vampiredesign, here's my suggestions:

1. Yeah imo brown version looks better aside from the pink "gum" line (suppose you probably weren't trying to present gum since it shouldn't stick out in lipless or lipped reconstruction, but the pink colour inevitably make me feel it's gum).
2. Green version feels unnatural probably cause tone is too bright. Less vibrant greens on Dicraeosaurus is much better imho.
3. Beefy tail could fix stability issue, but I guess it might not match rest of the body and it's probably too late now.

Well several older T. rex figures have elongated tail either due to wrong vertebrae numbers, or center of mass problem caused by slim tail (too skinny overall). Science has moved forward, but Haolonggood's new T. rex still uses designs from 3-5 years ago and imo that's the biggest problem. I respect choices of the sculptor, just an outdated reconstruction might not be appealing to scientific toys community.

Hmm regarding unfriendly remarks in Chinese forum: iirc several PNSO figures failed the brand's previous standards (e.g. new Stegosaurus and Andrea) and got more "unfriendly remarks" than Haolonggood's T. rex; their hollow vinyl before 2015 also received overwhelming criticism, yet most collectors won't shy away from singing PNSO's praise when they release a decent figure. Majority posted for they were disappointed or hope you make corrections and do better, not because they dislike Haolonggood :)

Shonisaurus

Honestly, although those GR Toys tyrannosaurus rex are fine, they are not as spectacular as I would have liked, if I bought GR Toys figures I would obviously buy the dicreaosaurus, quetzalcoatlus or carcharotontosaurus of the same brand by far.

I am not very convinced by this tyrannosaurus rex apart from the fact that it is a very hackneyed dinosaur in collecting and being that well-known figure I think that they could have been applied more when it came to making that prehistoric animal figure attractive as other companies such as Nanmu or W have done -Dragon although logically they are not scientific companies or to give another example Rebor even with their "retro" figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: