News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GR Toys / Haolonggood - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 07, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Thialfi on February 20, 2022, 03:15:41 PM
Especially in a herbivore it seems so unnecessary? I really don't see the added value of a triceratops being able open and close its mouth. It's not a feature of the actual animal that makes him stand out in any way. In a theropod carnivore I can there is more urgency to do something like this for obvious reasons.

Not saying that I'm not against it, but people are very split on dynamic open-mouth pose and neutral closed-mouth pose. Furthermore, people are still taken aback by the lack of cheeks on Triceratops so having it closed would be their best option.

More on-topic, though, I'm so glad to see it in such a regal pose rather than cowering like Papo's. I think I do prefer Papo's paint and headsculpt, however.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Sim

As it looks like Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus will have feathers on the neck, which I don't find convincing, it's looking like I won't want it.  I'm hoping the GR Toys Tyrannosaurus will be without feathers and that it will be the Tyrannosaurus for me.

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2022, 08:51:08 PM
As it looks like Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus will have feathers on the neck, which I don't find convincing, it's looking like I won't want it.  I'm hoping the GR Toys Tyrannosaurus will be without feathers and that it will be the Tyrannosaurus for me.

Pics?

Sim

Images from page 13 of the Eofauna new for 2022 thread.

Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus design has feathers on its head and neck in both life reconstructions of it.  It's not easy to see in the first one but it was confirmed by avatar_SRF @SRF who has looked in the book where the image is.  For the second image the feathers are visible when looking at it in full size.

Since that thin coat of feathers is a consistent feature in Eofauna's reconstructions of Tyrannosaurus it makes me think their figure of it will have this too.

Over9K

Quote from: Sim on February 28, 2022, 09:15:12 PMEofauna's Tyrannosaurus design has feathers on its head and neck in both life reconstructions of it.  It's not easy to see in the first one but it was confirmed by avatar_SRF @SRF who has looked in the book where the image is.  For the second image the feathers are visible when looking at it in full size.

Since that thin coat of feathers is a consistent feature in Eofauna's reconstructions of Tyrannosaurus it makes me think their figure of it will have this too.

Thanks for the reply.

EoFauna did a really nice job with the hair on their Steppe Mammoth, so I'm hoping they'll pull off similar with a feathered rex.

Fembrogon

Anybody want some more Quetz photos (with supplements)?

Posing with the box, plus the box alone. Can you spot an "oops" in the labeling on the side?

Posing with the postcard/insert (whatever it's called):

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a David Peters skeletal reproduced on the back of the insert???

"White model" and painted version. the white model's jaw comes unassembled in two parts (the jaw and a small securing throat piece). I'm thinking of reselling this figure, so the jaw isn't fully attached yet here.

Standoff with the Safari T. imperator rex:

Scaling is wonky on this figure; although it looks generically right for a Quetzalcoatlus, the actual proportions are all over the place. The official scale is 1:35, but based on my measurements, the forelimbs and skull are scaled to 1:25, but the body is too large and - most notably - the neck is far too short. In fact, if the whole figure was properly scaled AND proportioned to 1:35, it would be even taller than it already is by merit of the neck alone (EDIT: my measurements were off; the model would be about 1-2 cm shorter. But that's all!). At full 1:25 this thing would be huge.

Additional thoughts so far: the sculpt and paint details are pretty great, but I think the figure isn't standing quite as straight on its feet as it's meant to. The articulated jaw is also plain bad: it hangs open with even slight jostling and doesn't sit snugly in the joint.

This is a good figure, but maybe not a great one. I like it, but it could be better still.

ceratopsian

A shame it didn't get changed from Dicraeosaurus on the side of the box - but at least it's not on the front avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon.

dinofelid

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 02, 2022, 09:59:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a David Peters skeletal reproduced on the back of the insert???

Yes it is! Your Quetzalcoatlus seems to be looking at it with incredulity. Good thing they didn't base the actual model on that drawing, I assume some employee just googled for Quetzalcoatlus skeletals and picked that one without knowing about David Peters' whole deal.

Ivántirrophus

My GR Toys quetzal just arrived. It's a good figure but I think its quality is low, its movable jaw cant close.  :'(

Georassic

If anyone is interested in buying the unpainted Quetz, I'm selling mine. Here's my trades/sales/wants thread:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1792.msg44943#msg44943

Over9K

From Paleofiguras' Facebook page...

Quote#Haolonggood News.

Here's a look at what could be the Tyrannosaurus rex head sculpting they'd be launching soon. It is to be clear that we consider it prudent to take it with some caution until we have something official.

Fembrogon

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm seeing much to interest me in that head design. It seems pretty shrinkwrapped, and the mouth line looks odd to me.

SRF

For a lipless reconstruction, this isn't even the best we can get right now. I think PNSO's T. Rexes have a much better head sculpt than this one. The same goes for Rebors Tusk.

I would expect however that GR Toys T. Rex would be more in line with the M. See T.Rex and Quetzalcoatlus statue. Meaning it would also have lips and wouldn't be shrinkwrapped.

But today, I'm just being father

Faras

Quote from: SRF on April 05, 2022, 07:35:40 AM
I would expect however that GR Toys T. Rex would be more in line with the M. See T.Rex and Quetzalcoatlus statue. Meaning it would also have lips and wouldn't be shrinkwrapped.

Sadly owner of Haolonggood and owner/main sculptor of Mu See studio have some serious rivalry since Quetzalcoatlus incident (several posts on Chinese forums to bash each other), GR Toys is probably working with new sculptors, wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally make new T. rex look different from Mu See's.

SRF

Quote from: Faras on April 05, 2022, 09:42:30 AM

Sadly owner of GR Toys and owner/main sculptor of Mu See studio have some serious rivalry since Quetzalcoatlus incident (several posts on Chinese forums to bash each other), GR Toys is probably working with new sculptors, wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally make new T. rex look different from Mu See's.

Thanks for those insights, but that is a shame to hear. It would be a strange choice to make a lipless T. Rex while the Carcharodontosaurus was lipped. For quite some people that was one of the reasons to prefer it over the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think I'll be interested if GR Toys is making a T. Rex with this head sculpt. Not with the upcoming Rebor Rexes and the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus "imperator" on the way.
But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

I'd already planned to get Eofauna's as my one and only representative of the genus, but after seeing this, my decision is reaffirmed. Not a fan of it.

Based on how good their other figures have been, I was expecting their Tyrannosaurus to be much better than this. I even thought that it would become the best version of the genus along with Eofauna's. But based on this, I think there are quite a few Tyrannosaurus figures that outclasses this one (not counting Eofauna, since we don't know how it looks yet but will surely be better than this one), to name a few: BotM, upcoming Rebor, Carnegie 2014, Safari 2017, and Battat Terra.

Sim

Quote from: Faras on April 05, 2022, 09:42:30 AM

Sadly owner of GR Toys and owner/main sculptor of Mu See studio have some serious rivalry since Quetzalcoatlus incident (several posts on Chinese forums to bash each other), GR Toys is probably working with new sculptors, wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally make new T. rex look different from Mu See's.

Can you give more details about what happened with the Quetzalcoatlus?  From what I was able to see, the Quetzalcoatlus seemed to be made by Haolonggood only since there was no mention of GR Toys on its packaging?  Additionally if I'm not mistaken, the only figure Mu See colloborated with GR Toys on was the Spinosaurus?  The Carcharodontosaurus and Dicraeosaurus were produced in colloboration with Haolonggood.  Do you know if Haolonggood is still working with GR Toys?

As for the photo of what has been said to possibly be Haolonggood's Tyrannosaurus, it doesn't look good to me unfortunately.  I'm surprised they made it withou lips as their Carcharodontosaurus had lips.

Faras

Haolonggood were asking about other's opinions of this in Chinese forum (posted on 9th, didn't realise it's owner of GR Toys until I read comments... several replies pointed out tail length problem):

Forum link: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7789924737?

PS: He said T. rex will be released around June.

Concavenator

So not only PNSO, but also GR Toys will be releasing an Acrocanthosaurus this year? It looks like it, interesting.

Looks like this Acro is being sculpted by the same sculptor who did their other figures (excluding the Tyrannosaurus). Don't know why another sculptor is working on the Tyrannosaurus, but in my opinion it will be the weakest model they ever did for now. If it's due to the Musée conflict because of the Quetzalcoatlus, then why is that sculptor collaborating with GR Toys again on their Acrocanthosaurus? Does this mean the conflict ended? I don't understand (to be honest I find the whole GR Toys / Haolonggood / Musée thing confusing all around, but their figures minus the Tyrannosaurus are great).

avatar_Faras @Faras do you know something about this?

SenSx

Two awesome Acrocanthosaurus, good good, I will wait for both to be release before making a decision.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: