News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GR Toys / Haolonggood - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 07, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Similar to what others have already mentioned, I don't think this T. rex figure looks "bad"; but it doesn't look especially good, either. Certainly the model appears to have a high quality of detail and paint application; but the fundamental design is one that feels like I've seen it countless times before. Companies like Safari and PNSO have successfully produced versions of the tyrant king which are distinct in design and appearance from anything else on the market, which I think is a big part of why they're so appreciated. I recognize this is no small feat, considering how many toys of this animal are and have been on the market; but as someone who has already owned multiple rexes and tends to even get tired of this genus being done, I need a little extra convincing in order to consider buying yet another rex.

vampiredesign

Thank you very much for your attention. In terms of paint, we accept your suggestions and will adjust it. In terms of modeling, it may be difficult for the model to take photos. There are some differences between the real object and the photos, and photos of the whole body will be released later. Thank you for your suggestions and attention. :)
Quote from: Faras on April 25, 2022, 08:20:37 AM
If I may, V @vampiredesign, here's my suggestions:

1. Yeah imo brown version looks better aside from the pink "gum" line (suppose you probably weren't trying to present gum since it shouldn't stick out in lipless or lipped reconstruction, but the pink colour inevitably make me feel it's gum).
2. Green version feels unnatural probably cause tone is too bright. Less vibrant greens on Dicraeosaurus is much better imho.
3. Beefy tail could fix stability issue, but I guess it might not match rest of the body and it's probably too late now.

Well several older T. rex figures have elongated tail either due to wrong vertebrae numbers, or center of mass problem caused by slim tail (too skinny overall). Science has moved forward, but Haolonggood's new T. rex still uses designs from 3-5 years ago and imo that's the biggest problem. I respect choices of the sculptor, just an outdated reconstruction might not be appealing to scientific toys community.

Hmm regarding unfriendly remarks in Chinese forum: iirc several PNSO figures failed the brand's previous standards (e.g. new Stegosaurus and Andrea) and got more "unfriendly remarks" than Haolonggood's T. rex; their hollow vinyl before 2015 also received overwhelming criticism, yet most collectors won't shy away from singing PNSO's praise when they release a decent figure. Majority posted for they were disappointed or hope you make corrections and do better, not because they dislike Haolonggood :)

Concavenator

Quote from: vampiredesign on April 25, 2022, 05:43:12 AM
The experiment considered standing stability, so it was lengthened.

Don't know if it's too late to change this, but anyways I hope you will consider the idea of adding a transparent rod to your bipedal models in the future. By doing that, you would be able to design the creature as accurately as possible without worries, avoiding enlarging the feet or lengthening the tail. PNSO does that and it's a very efficient solution. Rebor also did it with their GnG T.rex.

DragonRider02

https://www.facebook.com/Paleofiguras/posts/3324006497827263

Looks like we have new photos of the T.Rex+prototype of Therizinosaurus

Bread

That Tyrannosaurus is such a let down of what I was expecting from GR Toys, but that Therizinosaurus is definitely intriguing!

Psittacoraptor

The paint job is superb. The blue version in particular is beautiful, that's a figure I'd be interested in for aesthetic appeal alone, despite it not being very accurate.

Dusty Wren

Oh, yeah, I like the looks of that Therizinosaurus.

This may be my very first GR Toys purchase. Fellow U.S. residents of the Forum, where do you buy GR Toys products? AliExpress?
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Quote from: Dusty Wren on May 13, 2022, 02:27:31 PM
Oh, yeah, I like the looks of that Therizinosaurus.

This may be my very first GR Toys purchase. Fellow U.S. residents of the Forum, where do you buy GR Toys products? AliExpress?
Aliexpress is the way to go. One seller I buy from is My Online Toy Store, they have the best prices and service in my opinion. My Model Toy Center carries them too, but a little more expensive than My Online Toy Store. Same service though.

ceratopsian

The Therizinosaurus might tempt me.... Looking forward to seeing one painted up.

Flaffy

Not sure how I feel about the pebbly integument on Therizinosaurus's head. It reminds me of Rebor's old sculpting style, excessive and oversized scale detail at the cost of obscuring the underlying anatomy.

Lynx

Not a fan of (what seems to be) articulated arms. Great figure besides that, potentially the best in the market!
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2022, 02:40:25 PM
Aliexpress is the way to go. One seller I buy from is My Online Toy Store, they have the best prices and service in my opinion. My Model Toy Center carries them too, but a little more expensive than My Online Toy Store. Same service though.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations avatar_Bread @Bread!
Check out my customs thread!

Concavenator

Both are a pass for me. I talked about the Tyrannosaurus already. I wouldn't get the Therizinosaurus either, while better than Papo's version (that's setting the bar low) and CollectA's (those are 2012 and 2014 figures we are talking about) there's the upcoming All Yesterdays figure, which I prefer.

The Acrocanthosaurus shown before looks much better than these two, and is up there with the Carcharodontosaurus and the Dicraeosaurus as the best offerings from GR Toys so far.

Fembrogon

The Therizinosaurus looks promising; more high-quality & accurate theri toys are most welcome. I'll definitely be interested in seeing how this one turns out.

I'm not interested in the T. rex, but I must admit the color schemes look really nice. That first one with the blue looks excellent.

Carnoking

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 13, 2022, 05:58:22 PM
The Therizinosaurus looks promising; more high-quality & accurate theri toys are most welcome. I'll definitely be interested in seeing how this one turns out.

I'm not interested in the T. rex, but I must admit the color schemes look really nice. That first one with the blue looks excellent.

You took the words right out of my mouth on both counts. Credit where credit is due with both!

Faelrin

I'm curious to see what this Therizinosaurus will be like painted up. Aside from the upcoming All Yesterday's one, and of course the Mattel one I plan to pick up, been a while since a figure of this animal held my interest. I think the last one was the Papo somewhat, and before that the Bullyland one (which I have).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

Wow, that therizinosaurus looks pretty amazing. Definitely intrigued to see where this will be going. Looks like the best rendition of the species to date.

Halichoeres

Therizinosaurus looks promising, thanks for posting those photos avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy

I do think I'll still prefer the All Yesterdays version but it will be nice to have the option in case that one falls through.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2022, 04:48:53 PM
I do think I'll still prefer the All Yesterdays version but it will be nice to have the option in case that one falls through.

Agree. The GR Therizinosaurus looks good overall, and I look forward to seeing it finished, but I also prefer the All Yesterdays version. If that one wasn't around, and if I were to get a figure of this genus for my collection, I would surely go with the GR.

Sim

I'm not impressed by the Therizinosaurus.  It's only known from fragments like Quetzalcoatlus northropi, its detail looks overly dramatic and it lacks the enlarged weight-bearing first toe.  Plus I dislike half-feathered dinosaur reconstructions.  I'm looking forward to the Acrocanthosaurus, hopefully it will bring back the greatness of the GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus.

New colour schemes for the Tyrannosaurus is exciting!  It's interesting they chose to do three, I guess it makes up for the Quetzalcoatlus only having one.  I'm not a fan of the green one, like with the original two colour schemes, but the other two look great!  I would like to see photos of the orange Tyrannosaurus as it looks interesting.  I really like the blue one though!  The Tyrannosaurus seems to have received some improvements based on comments made here which is great!  I think I might get this Tyrannosaurus after all.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the decision to cover the top of the snout with scales instead of keratin.  I notice Mark Witton's recent reconstruction of Tyrannosaurus in the head butting theropod post shows it with what look like large scales on the top of the snout so maybe it's plausible to reconstruct it like that?  PNSO's most recent Wilson also reconstructs the top of the snout with large scales.

I eagerly await more photos/videos of the orange and blue GR Toys Tyrannosaurus!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: