News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GR Toys / Haolonggood - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 07, 2022, 10:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Sim on January 25, 2022, 10:11:34 PM
Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 24, 2022, 10:03:12 PM
Let's hope their Rex turns out like their carcharodontosaurus

Yes, I hope so!  Based on previous models and one current model, out of the four Tyrannosaurus figures I'm considering, the GR Toys and Safari would have lips, while the Eofauna and PNSO wouldn't have lips.  This doesn't make it easier to decide which to get.  I need to see them, although I expect the GR Toys will be the nicest.

While a T. Rex from GR Toys is rumoured for longer time now, I wouldn't be so sure that Eofauna and Safari will release a T. Rex very soon. So for now, we have the PNSO T. Rex and the upcoming Rebor one which actually lets you decide if you want a lipped version or not, with hopefully the GR Toys Rex to add to that.
But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

As someone who owns the resin, I can report with confidence that the base doesn't look like any cheap toy that I own.

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 24, 2022, 09:56:00 PM
Damn you, broken Bankaccount!

Looks lovey as it is. This would be the first (bigger) Quetz i would consider buying. I have the smol Kaiyodo and i love it. This second, unpainted one for the same price as one sounds quite nice to me. And i would love to paint one someday. I am not interested in this Contest, but a nice idea for making a name. The Pose is just great.

There is just one thing, and that is the Resin Version with a Base. We all know, Resin is more expensive, but this Base is a joke. I can't imagine, someone is really willing to pay 190 Euros for that. Then again.. As wonderful, as the Model itself is. The Base and the Colouration of the Base look like a cheap Toy.

Thanks for sharing :)

Tracewyrm!

Considering the relatively small variety of Quetzacoatlus figures on the market right now (especially ones that are on a realistic standing pose), I'm really looking forward to this figure's release.
The Tyrannosaurus market definitely has more competition so I'm more conflicted on whether I'd go out of my way to get yet another T. rex. Hopefully it surpasses my expectations, but I won't be holding my breath either.
* (It's locked.)

SenSx

Hi,

Sorry if I make you repeat yourselves, but did they confirm this Quetzacoatlus will come later with only the painted model for a cheaper price ?

Thanks

Fembrogon

I don't think there's been solid confirmation yet. It seems plausible the figure will get a revised release later on, but how much of price difference there may be remains to be seen.

Skorpio V.

Have there been any posts of people's personal repaints at all? Kinda curious ^-^
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 11, 2022, 06:44:03 PM
I don't think there's been solid confirmation yet. It seems plausible the figure will get a revised release later on, but how much of price difference there may be remains to be seen.

I bet the price difference will be very small.

Quote from: Skorpio V. on February 11, 2022, 07:14:00 PM
Have there been any posts of people's personal repaints at all? Kinda curious ^-^

Not that I've seen, but I'm looking forward to seeing people's takes! I don't think anyone's had it more than a week or two so far.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

He says, 1/25th scale, roughly. Interesting. Any idea, anyone, how that compares, scale-wise, with the Papo one?

Lanthanotus

Quote from: SidB on February 17, 2022, 03:35:33 PM
He says, 1/25th scale, roughly. Interesting. Any idea, anyone, how that compares, scale-wise, with the Papo one?

Her you go S @SidB ;)

SidB

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 18, 2022, 04:52:21 PM

Her you go S @SidB ;)
That absolutely nails it, avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus ! Thanks for the super prompt and on the money response. Fascinating that you'd already set-up the comparison. Now one seems better by virtue of the other. I already have the Papo, which I display with my PNSO's, so it looks like the GR will make a fine companion. I think that I'll wait till it comes out in the solo version though. Can't pass up a pterosaur of any description, if it's at all reasonably close (ish) to scale, there being, relatively speaking, so few available for 1/35 dioramas.

dinofelid

Quote from: SidB on February 18, 2022, 06:18:42 PM
I think that I'll wait till it comes out in the solo version though. Can't pass up a pterosaur of any description, if it's at all reasonably close (ish) to scale, there being, relatively speaking, so few available for 1/35 dioramas.
If you're up for doing some painting, there's a 3D printed Quetzalcoatlus on Shapeways which is listed as 1:40, but I tried to measure along the wings with a flexible tape measure and got around 34 cm, or about 12 meters at 1:35, which is pretty close to the latest estimate of about 10 meters.

SidB

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 18, 2022, 04:52:21 PM

Her you go S @SidB ;)

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus glad you got yours already, looks pretty impressive so far.
Does your copy have problems with the beak not holding its pose? I heard and saw some video that shows it being very loose.
Mine should be here hopefully next week😃

Lanthanotus

Yes, unfortunately the beak is very loose in both figures and does not hold by friction but rather pure luck. I used a tiny bit of BluTack for the photo to keep it closed.

As the second figure requires assembly, I'll try to thicken the movement axis to allow for more friction. Either with Sculpey or Teflon tape (which works nice in action figures with loose limbs).

Halichoeres

Yeah, mine is also very loose, which makes the articulation feel a little pointless.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Kapitaenosavrvs

This Quetz "set" Really is something i want. I am fine with the lose beak and would do the same as avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus

I am looking forwar dto the maybe painted up versions of the unpainted one. I thought of giving it a Bonze like Paintjob and a small podest/base. I hope the Figures will be available a bit to get it later the year.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 19, 2022, 01:28:50 PM
Yeah, mine is also very loose, which makes the articulation feel a little pointless.
This raises the point that some of the best brands are coming close to spoiling the quality of their otherwise fine figures (looking at the trikes of PNSO (Doyle 2) and the pending CollectA Triceratops, for example), by designing in a totally unnecessary element of jaw articulation. It's moving from a certain faddishness to becoming almost obligatory and that's a mistake, especially in the fabrication of collector-quality figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SidB on February 19, 2022, 05:50:13 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 19, 2022, 01:28:50 PM
This raises the point that some of the best brands are coming close to spoiling the quality of their otherwise fine figures (looking at the trikes of PNSO (Doyle 2) and the pending CollectA Triceratops, for example), by designing in a totally unnecessary element of jaw articulation. It's moving from a certain faddishness to becoming almost obligatory and that's a mistake, especially in the fabrication of collector-quality figures.

Yup, I'll buy an articulated figure, but I'll always think it would have looked better without the joints.

Thialfi

Especially in a herbivore it seems so unnecessary? I really don't see the added value of a triceratops being able open and close its mouth. It's not a feature of the actual animal that makes him stand out in any way. In a theropod carnivore I can there is more urgency to do something like this for obvious reasons.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: