News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

After catching Andy's review I think it's safe to say this is the winner for me. The only real critique I could think of is that the pose feels a bit too familiar but that's more of a nit pick seeing as there's only so many positions you could engineer a biped in and still expect it to stand. Looking forward to picking this one up!

DragonRider02

I find lack of feathers incredibly dissapointing.

SenSx

I love it.

It can safely replace my Battat Cryolophosaurus, that is still good, but I have set myself a limit to one figure peer specie (except for Rex, and JP Velociraptors).
I like that blue tone on the back, the stripes on the tail, the blue eyes, and the contrast with the red crest.
I feel Safari is trying to create more original paint schemes with their latest releases, instead of going with the natural brown color we had a lot previously.
I would have prefered the rest of the body to be white, instead of brown though, to remind us of Antartica, eventhough the Antartica of that time wasn't the frozen land we know today at all, but it's what comes to our mind when we think of it  ;D

Overall I think it will be a great year for figures of lesser know species.
We had the long overdue Safari Albertosaurus, now the Cryolophosaurus, PNSO has the Acrocanthosaurus, the rumored Suchomimus, and the Rebor Deinosuchus is coming nicely.
I hope companies will continue with that trend.
I want to see Herrerasaurus, a Megaraptor (preferably Maip Macrothorax), and Gigantoraptor.

The  only downside is that  it will take a long time before this Cryolophosaurus reaches us  :(
We are still waiting for the previous releases to arrive :(

Prehistory Resurrection

The Stigymoloch gives me Geoworld vibes with the chosen paint scheme in my opinion, I think the sculpt is great; scientifically accurate but the paint scheme could have been better. But as it is based on the Dino Dana version, it is understandable. Still, a vibrant paint scheme.

As for the Cryolophosaurus, I prefer the Carnegie version. I understand that this new version is based on latest paleontological understanding, but still, I find the Carnegie version more appealing. I prefer my theropods to be lip less. The sculpt and pose remind me very much of the Terra by Battat version. The paint scheme and pose are great.

Awesome to see a new species joining the Safari Line and a new sculpt replacing its Carnegie predecessor.

Gwangi

The paintjob is one of the better and more original ones from Safari in recent memory, and a big part of why I'm liking it so much.

Stegotyranno420

Wow,I'm glad with this scaly rendition. I do think the texture and teeth could use some work, but this is more on the manufacturing rather than the sculptor, who 100% done a phenomenal job. But I prefer the Carnegie, for the colors are better, and it's a bit larger

suspsy

I think this is a superb Cryolophosaurus, probably the best one yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Thialfi

I really dig this. Great sculpt, lovely, vibrant paint job. I don't own a cryolophosaurus and this rendition ticks all the boxes for me. Great work!

Jose S.M.

I've seen some in hand and outdoors photos of it and looks even better! I'm really excited for this one.

Dilopho

Not bad at all, I see a lot of repaint potential here too! Is this one bigger than the Dilophosaurus and Concavenator? I don't have either of those (I know, I'm betraying my namesake by admitting that) but I've heard they're kinda..disappointingly small...

Shane

Quote from: Dilopho on July 29, 2022, 05:37:18 PMNot bad at all, I see a lot of repaint potential here too! Is this one bigger than the Dilophosaurus and Concavenator? I don't have either of those (I know, I'm betraying my namesake by admitting that) but I've heard they're kinda..disappointingly small...

Both those figures are similar in height to the Cryolophosaurus, but not in length. Each of those is around 6 inches long, the Cryo is 8 inches long.

SpartanSquat

Much better than the stygimoloch reveal! Also I notice it has a 4 digit, maybe based in dilophosaur like reconstruction?

bmathison1972

WOW, that Cryo is going straight on to my wishlist!

SenSx

Quote from: Dilopho on July 29, 2022, 05:37:18 PMNot bad at all, I see a lot of repaint potential here too! Is this one bigger than the Dilophosaurus and Concavenator? I don't have either of those (I know, I'm betraying my namesake by admitting that) but I've heard they're kinda..disappointingly small...

The Cryo is bigger than the Dilo.
Actually I think they kept some brown on the Cryo to make it fit with the Dilo in terms of colors, the Dilo kinda share the darker tone, very slightly blue on the back.
Both will look great together.

Chasmosaurus

A nice figure with a very nice color scheme. I really like it.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Faelrin

Just woke up to see this. What a beautiful figure. While feathers would have been nice to see (which thankfully BotM is going that route for anyone interested), a new Cryolophosaurus has been long overdue on the model market. This will display nicely next to the Battat Terra one I own. 

I can't wait to order this, Albertosaurus, and Zuul. These three are definitely my favorites from the year.

I also really like the colors. Feels like they really suit a polar forest predator.

I only wonder what scale this in, but not that it will deter me from getting it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

The cryolophosaurus looks great! The colors feel fresh and different enough from the typical shades of beige we've seen from Safari. I can't wait to pick up this one when it hits the shelves.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: SidB on July 29, 2022, 03:26:18 PMAnother fine Doug Wilson figure,(I'm assuming).

I love that Doug Wilson guy's work ;)

Flaffy

Wow! What a great way to wrap up this year's lineup. The Cryolophosaurus is a lovely little guy, and imo is a far stronger figure than the Dilophosaurus and Concavenator. While I'm still perfectly happy with my Carnegie Cryolophosaurus, the new Safari one is easily a close second. A very good option for an accurate, affordable and accessible figure of this genus.

My ranking of Cryolophosaurus figures from major brands:
1) Carnegie
2) Safari
3) Battat
4) Papo (would be higher if only it had a less dramatic pose)
5) PNSO
5) Mattel
6) Schleich
7) CollectA

And with BotM's own take on the horizon, this is turning out to be a good year for the titular theropod!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Doug Watson on July 29, 2022, 08:23:32 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 29, 2022, 03:26:18 PMAnother fine Doug Wilson figure,(I'm assuming).

I love that Doug Wilson guy's work ;)

me too!!!!  8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: