News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: suspsy on February 08, 2022, 01:13:33 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on February 08, 2022, 10:58:17 AM
I wonder if this could work as a Nemegtosaurus/Opisthocoelicaudia. It looks a bit slim, and the tail a bit long, but the head and general proportions don't look too far off from Scott Hartman's skeletal. If it can work as one, maybe it can be displayed with PNSO's Tarbosaurus? What do you guys think?

I would say the toy's neck is possibly too long and the limbs are definitely too thin for a proper Opisthocoelicaudia. It had super chunky limbs.

Yup. Well there goes that.

On another note, the Field Museum mount always looked a bit small to me. The neck looks too short. Could anyone tell me if that is the case?

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 10, 2022, 03:44:52 AM
Someone asked about the Field Museum mount, and somehow this is the only photo I have of it. I was distracted at my last visit, I guess.

(mount issues aside) Now THAT's how you display a colossal sauropod mount! Showing the size and majesty of the titanosaur in all it's glory. A much better display than the cramped AMNH exhibit.

Thank you both avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono for the pics!

Duna

That hall is incredible. Those elephants (are extant or extinct?) and the largest? land extinct animal. Just add a few flying reptiles and you make it brilliant.

Fembrogon

avatar_Duna @Duna, you may notice the small Rhamphorhynchus models flying over the skeletal mount, as well as the massive Quetzalcoatlus bill poking in from the left. They've got some VERY cool mounts there now (and yes, those elephants are extant African elephants).
I remember there was some resistance to the idea of removing Sue from the main hall, but honestly moving Sue upstairs and putting in the Patagotitan proved to be a very good choice. The two skeletons fill their respective spaces much better this way.

Halichoeres

Actually, I'm pretty sure I was trying to photograph the Rhamphorhynchus models in particular and got everything else by accident!

Anyway I agree that this is a nicer display than the one at AMNH, but the only way AMNH could have done something remotely like this is by removing the Barosaurus and Allosaurus from their foyer. And unlike Sue, which is only a few meters tall and could have conceivably been moved to several places and required relatively minor adjustments to accommodate the gastralia and so forth, the Barosaurus mount didn't have a plausible second home. I imagine it would have doubled their costs easily because it would have meant taking all that apart.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

The AMNH Barosaurus is also a bona fide icon in NYC; a lot of people would be very upset if it were ever dismantled and replaced, even with a Patagotitan or some other titanosaur.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

The Field Museum is one of my favorite spots to visit in Chicago. Before the pandemic I made it a point to visit at least once a year.

I was able to see "Maximo" the last time I went, and it was quite impressive. Also got to check the new exhibit where they moved Sue, which was also quite impressive as well.

I miss it immensely; unfortunately travel isn't what it used to be these days.

Faelrin

I really hope some day I can visit both of these places. Like they are on my bucket list anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Carnoking

The natural lighting does wonders.

SidB

A handsome sculpt in the light of day. I can see myself using this in my Safari diorama display as a subadult among the preponderance of 1/35-1/40 figures, so that the 1/70 scale can work out okay.

TheCambrianCrusader

Those new pictures look really nice, glad to see this guy from different angles.

Duna

It's very nice to see that the figure is more accurate than the museum skeleton mount in terms of back feet.  :))

Grimbeard

As I suspected, the paint scheme is much closer to the 2021 Baryonyx than the promo picture suggested, which is a BIG plus because I really like the Barys brown-beige. The sculpt also looks much better and more detailed as it first seemed in the promo pictures. Pleasant surprise, I really like it and might considere adding it to my collection.

I really hope that Safari improves their promo pictures in the future, it does such a disservice to both the figures and the company itself, at least from an adult collectors perspective. Maybe they work really well for the younger demographics, but I cant really judge that.

Halichoeres

Thanks for posting those avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy

It does seem like their product photography doesn't always show the product to best effect. I suppose that's better than the reverse: great photos of products that look terrible in-hand.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

..maybe it is because I work in the advertising field but I still do not understand how it is possible that a company, even if small, in 2022 does not advertise its products adequately.  I am not referring in particular to Safari ltd: it is the same for almost all the toy/figure/model companies  .. It is not that expensive, believe me, I know what I mean..

SidB

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 12, 2022, 02:59:55 PM

..maybe it is because I work in the advertising field but I still do not understand how it is possible that a company, even if small, in 2022 does not advertise its products adequately.  I am not referring in particular to Safari ltd: it is the same for almost all the toy/figure/model companies  .. It is not that expensive, believe me, I know what I mean..
Based on your stellar photography, avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow , they would do well to hire you.

Flaffy

Safari has posted a new teaser of the 2022 Patagotitan on their socials, I have uploaded the teaser on Youtube, attached below:
https://youtu.be/hChZtmYQHhg

paintingdinos

I really try to live by the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule, but man... this thread is wild.

Improve their marking to who? Children/parents of children? People who are into collecting dinosaur figures for absolute accuracy and paint detail are a niche interest group (and yes, that includes you parents who specifically obsess over these things).

There's nothing wrong with the official image. It tells you what the figure is and what the general color scheme is. That's literally all it needs to do for 90% of the market who will buy it.

Golly.

Grimbeard

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 12, 2022, 02:59:55 PM

I can only suspect its for some marketing reasons that go above me head. Maybe promo pictures with increased saturations and less details are more appealing to kids which are in the end of the day, the main target audience?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: