News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

There is a difference between the 2011 t-rex and the dino dana ones?

Fembrogon

Do you mean the 2011 T.rex, or the 2017 T.rex? There's a pretty drastic difference between the current model and the 2011 version; but the Dino Dana model is just a repaint of the 2017 feathered model.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on February 20, 2022, 10:37:59 PM
Thank you for your patience and taking your time in explaining how things work from the inside, S @Shane ! Much appreciated.  :)

Regarding the Patagotitan - I like it! Its color scheme may be similar to the Baryonyx, but I like that, as I was fond of its colors. I will keep an eye out for it, as well as for the other (?) Safari releases for this year. Looks like avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson sculpted it? If so, I would like to ask why does it have 4 toe claws? Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it have 5 toes but with only 3 having claws?

The 4 "claws" are my doing. The feet of Patagotitan have not been found and are not discussed in the paper I used. I should have magnified the skeletal from the paper more since I wasn't sure if the forth ungual was sporting a claw. Instead I used a museum mount of Argentinosaurus for the foot detail and that mount had four claws so I thought that was what was depicted in the papers skeletal. Since this has blown up here on the DTF I went back and took a closer look at the paper and there is no claw on the fourth ungual. As far as I can see the feet of Argentinosaurus have also not been found so I am not sure what the feet are based on in the museum mounts of the largest Titanosaurs. I should have asked Dr. Pol when I consulted him about the skull. The fifth toe on Titanosaurs are shown as vestigial in all the reference I have seen including the paper on Patagotitan.
As an aside the Titanosaur Notocolossus has one of the most complete pes discovered and it has truncated unguals unlike other sauropods so if a Patagotitan pes is actually found maybe it will have some surprises.

Takama

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 21, 2022, 01:23:21 AM
Do you mean the 2011 T.rex, or the 2017 T.rex? There's a pretty drastic difference between the current model and the 2011 version; but the Dino Dana model is just a repaint of the 2017 feathered model.

Safari Also Released the 2011 model at an Inflated Price, Due to Agrumented reality with the Dino Dana App

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/dino-dana-tyrannosaurus-rex

CityRaptor

And the 1997 Baby, too.
https://www.safariltd.com/products/dino-dana-t-rex-baby

Seems like the "normal" versions of both of these are retired.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

bmathison1972

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 21, 2022, 06:19:46 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 20, 2022, 10:37:59 PM
Thank you for your patience and taking your time in explaining how things work from the inside, S @Shane ! Much appreciated.  :)

Regarding the Patagotitan - I like it! Its color scheme may be similar to the Baryonyx, but I like that, as I was fond of its colors. I will keep an eye out for it, as well as for the other (?) Safari releases for this year. Looks like avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson sculpted it? If so, I would like to ask why does it have 4 toe claws? Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it have 5 toes but with only 3 having claws?

The 4 "claws" are my doing. The feet of Patagotitan have not been found and are not discussed in the paper I used. I should have magnified the skeletal from the paper more since I wasn't sure if the forth ungual was sporting a claw. Instead I used a museum mount of Argentinosaurus for the foot detail and that mount had four claws so I thought that was what was depicted in the papers skeletal. Since this has blown up here on the DTF I went back and took a closer look at the paper and there is no claw on the fourth ungual. As far as I can see the feet of Argentinosaurus have also not been found so I am not sure what the feet are based on in the museum mounts of the largest Titanosaurs. I should have asked Dr. Pol when I consulted him about the skull. The fifth toe on Titanosaurs are shown as vestigial in all the reference I have seen including the paper on Patagotitan.
As an aside the Titanosaur Notocolossus has one of the most complete pes discovered and it has truncated unguals unlike other sauropods so if a Patagotitan pes is actually found maybe it will have some surprises.

Hi avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson - now that I know you sculpted this (although I suspected as much, it has your style) I want to thank you. You are my favorite dinosaur sculptor and I'll be snatching it up as soon as it's available! Dinos are not the main focus of my collection, but the vast majority of them are yours!

Shane

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 21, 2022, 03:02:05 PM
And the 1997 Baby, too.
https://www.safariltd.com/products/dino-dana-t-rex-baby

Seems like the "normal" versions of both of these are retired.

Not retired, just out of stock.

In fact, I think the baby just came back into inventory.

CityRaptor

Oh. Probably explains why I didn't find it earlier when I wanted to look up the price difference between the two versions. Thanks!
https://www.safariltd.com/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-tyrannosaurus-rex-baby-figurines-298929
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 21, 2022, 03:07:01 PM
Hi avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson - now that I know you sculpted this (although I suspected as much, it has your style) I want to thank you. You are my favorite dinosaur sculptor and I'll be snatching it up as soon as it's available! Dinos are not the main focus of my collection, but the vast majority of them are yours!

Thanks, I hope you like it when you get it.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2022, 02:49:28 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on February 21, 2022, 01:23:21 AM

Safari Also Released the 2011 model at an Inflated Price, Due to Agrumented reality with the Dino Dana App

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/dino-dana-tyrannosaurus-rex
So its the same just with more price? Its has a tag with a code like the mattel figures?

SidB

Now I picked up a rumor that Safari's new Patagotitan will be IT for 2022 . No more dinosaurs, no sequence of releases during the year. I'm sort of shocked, being an avid Safari collector, but maybe I shouldn't be, if this rumor is true. After all, I'm thinking, other than last year, Safari has had a very good output of just outstanding dinosaur collectables, since the demise of the Carnegie collection in 2015. And the last years of the Carnegies were typically marked by the production of only one dinosaur per year, albeit a very fine one each time. So one this year, in this context and amidst the ongoing challenges of our times, seems plausible, if disappointing. I'm hoping that this situation isn't the case, but, if so, there is still the continuing prospect of new releases by PNSO and the promise of others, such as GR. CollectA looks exciting too, not to mention other possibilities.

profnik

:-\ I hope the safari ltd 2022 prehistoric collection part 2 is coming next month hopefully their their more wild safari prehistoric world is therizinosaurus, dire wolf, zuul, paraceratherium, mythical realms loch ness monster, extinct Toobs with dodo bird figurine an good luck mini saber tooth tiger and good luck mini prehistoric fun pack I think.

ceratopsian

That seems to contradict what Shane told us recently though.

Quote from: SidB on February 22, 2022, 05:15:53 AM
Now I picked up a rumor that Safari's new Patagotitan will be IT for 2022 . No more dinosaurs, no sequence of releases during the year. I'm sort of shocked, being an avid Safari collector, but maybe I shouldn't be, if this rumor is true. After all, I'm thinking, other than last year, Safari has had a very good output of just outstanding dinosaur collectables, since the demise of the Carnegie collection in 2015. And the last years of the Carnegies were typically marked by the production of only one dinosaur per year, albeit a very fine one each time. So one this year, in this context and amidst the ongoing challenges of our times, seems plausible, if disappointing. I'm hoping that this situation isn't the case, but, if so, there is still the continuing prospect of new releases by PNSO and the promise of others, such as GR. CollectA looks exciting too, not to mention other possibilities.

SidB

Yes, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian , it certainly does contradict my previous understanding, based on Shane. I have no idea where the YouTube source got this information, which is why I labelled it a "rumor",  The source made his point most definitely on his YouTube channel when discussing the new Patagonititan.

ceratopsian

Thanks S @SidB. Nothing to do but wait and see what happens.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 22, 2022, 11:44:14 AM
You're welcome, but I decided to be proactive. I've just reached out to him on his channel to see if he can shed some light on the matter. After all, many of us are/ were looking forward to a year of exciting Safari releases.

Shane

Quote from: SidB on February 22, 2022, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on February 22, 2022, 11:44:14 AM
You're welcome, but I decided to be proactive. I've just reached out to him on his channel to see if he can shed some light on the matter. After all, many of us are/ were looking forward to a year of exciting Safari releases.

Not sure who is sharing this rumor or where it started but it's news to me.

As I've stated before, there are many Safari figures in development for 2022, and there are more dinosaurs included in that.

That hasn't changed.

Flaffy

I'm taking Shane's word over some youtuber.

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on February 22, 2022, 01:54:31 PM
I'm taking Shane's word over some youtuber.

^^This. We have Shane's insight, he obviously knows more about Safari than any random YouTuber. Let's trust him.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Many of these Youtubers are so hungry for ANY news or rumors it's not beyond them to make up "news" to get views and get paid. A point to get in mind before believing anything on social media.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: