News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Collection

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, February 18, 2022, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thank you! I can relate on the financial part but do also completely agree - I do not regret it one bit so far and I don't believe I ever will. Unlike for some newer, much cheaper figures, that I don't like that much anymore vs. when I first bought them (Papo Dilophosaurus for example).

Halichoeres

Congrats, and it looks to be in really nice shape! I remember how excited I was to finally land one (that and the Ouranosaurus), and also how bummed I was that the Terra re-release stalled out before they got around to the Maiasaura repaint.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 05, 2022, 04:20:46 PM
Congrats, and it looks to be in really nice shape! I remember how excited I was to finally land one (that and the Ouranosaurus), and also how bummed I was that the Terra re-release stalled out before they got around to the Maiasaura repaint.
Thanks! It really is in a very good shape - looks almost untouched. A lot of those repaints would've looked terrific, the Trike repaint was equally beautiful imo -it's really a bummer.

TooOldForDinosaurs

It's no new dinosaur figure, BUT I bought these fake corals (Aquarium decoration) at a local garden/ hobby store to display with my Ophthalmosauri. You can get them for quite cheap, I was pleasently surprised. And I think they look terrific, I chose the right colors.

Now the plan is to make a base with some sand and glue maybe and get some better stands for the two models obviously. Maybe I'll add even some smaller figures to the base (e.g. ammonites). If anyone has an idea for a stand or has a link to some good figure stands let me know! That would be awesome. ^-^

The making of the base has to wait a bit unfortunately. Since I had a very serious and complicated wrist fracture (multiple fractures, tendon ruptures, bone dislocation, pinched nerv - the whole shebang basically  :( ) in january, I still can't use my right hand like I was used to. (I have started with Ergotherapy very recently though - so thats a yay) I have also some repaints planned out in my head which have to wait because of this very reason. Hopefully I can soon get to it but I don't expect it to be in the next months.

Anyway - here are a few more shots of those two beauties with the corals:

And one more:

Libraraptor

That is what I call a great idea!

Duna

Oh yes, they look terrific among the corals, just like in the documentary.   ^-^ Very nice idea. I think the perfect stand for ichthyosaurus is the clear Invicta stand (sold with its painted ichthyo and whale) and you by changing the orientation you can position it swimming upwards or downwards, but they are more scarce than the ichthyo itself. I have made a mold of one of them and I'm making trials with clear resin, the first recast has come not so bad.

By the way, congrats for your holy grail the Battat Maiasaura  ^-^

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor thanks!  :)) I wanna start adding a little bit more ambience to my displayed figures in general and maybe reduce the quantity that are on display in return.

avatar_Duna @Duna that was exactly the idea - just like the documentary  :) That is what I initially thought of as well but as you say those are hard to come by and since I'm not looking for any of the figures anymore that the stands are rarly sold together with, I have even less of a way to get my hands on those...
That is a cool little project you've got going for yourself there  :D I would ask if you're thinking of selling some of those recasts in the future but even if you were, the shipping probably wouldn't justify the package in my case so I have to find my own way I guess.

Thank you very much! ^-^

Shonisaurus

It's great that you bought those beautiful fake corals to decorate your two precious ophtalmosaurus from WWD, I'm sorry for those doll problems you mention, I hope you get well and can show us your works of art that will be promising for sure.

Duna

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on April 05, 2022, 10:27:20 PM
that was exactly the idea - just like the documentary  :) That is what I initially thought of as well but as you say those are hard to come by and since I'm not looking for any of the figures anymore that the stands are rarly sold together with, I have even less of a way to get my hands on those...
That is a cool little project you've got going for yourself there  :D I would ask if you're thinking of selling some of those recasts in the future but even if you were, the shipping probably wouldn't justify the package in my case so I have to find my own way I guess.

Thank you very much! ^-^
Don't worry! If the recasts end up looking nice (the first I've done came out with tiny bubbles trapped and and the first day it looked too flexible but I've just discovered the resin hardens more in several days period, so I'm very excited) I'll make some more until I finish the resin (I have a month to do so) so you can have them if you like (they are very light, shipping won't be too expensive).

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Duna on April 06, 2022, 03:50:55 PM
Don't worry! If the recasts end up looking nice (the first I've done came out with tiny bubbles trapped and and the first day it looked too flexible but I've just discovered the resin hardens more in several days period, so I'm very excited) I'll make some more until I finish the resin (I have a month to do so) so you can have them if you like (they are very light, shipping won't be too expensive).
That sounds very exciting! What a kind offer!  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

TooOldForDinosaurs

So these are the last packages that I was and will be expecting for a while. Upon acquiring the Battat Maiasaura I went on a little hunt for the cute nestlings that came with the Carnegie resculpt of said species. I felt like the good mother could use some young company to look after and figured with the pose the Battat Maiasaura was sculpted in, it would probably look really good - as if it was feeding or caressing the younglings.
Luckily it didn't take me too long to find only the nest for a few €uros and well - I was right ^-^ they make a beautiful display even if the color schemes don't add up.

Secondly, thanks to avatar_brettnj @brettnj I was able to almost (or realistically fully ;D) complete my Battat Collection with this stunning looking Utahraptor. So thank you, Brett, for reacting to my forum search thread  :)! I used a PNSO stand to support this little fella under his chin to make him stand upright:

Here's a group photo:

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisitions, on the other hand I like that utahraptor a lot, I also have one from Battat but I don't have a Battat utahraptor with such fantastic colors on its head.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 11, 2022, 10:19:53 AM
My congratulations on your new acquisitions, on the other hand I like that utahraptor a lot, I also have one from Battat but I don't have a Battat utahraptor with such fantastic colors on its head.
Thank you! Congrats to you too then  ;) - and yes, the condition really is very good.

Jose S.M.

I really like that Maiasaura! congrats on getting it and the nestlings.

Gwangi

The fake aquarium coral pairs fantastically with the Ophthalmosaurus. Love the combination of colors between the figure and the coral. Congrats on the Battat Maiasaura, it's still the best figure of that genus around, which is a bittersweet compliment. We really need someone to make another Maiasaura.

Bokisaurus

Ahhhh, the Battats! Congratulations on your additions, they surely are amazing figures. It's really mind-boggling to think that these Battat models are quarter of a century old and still hold up to today, and some species in the set are still to these days the best representation in toy form! :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. Thanks!  :)

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Thank you! They do work really well together. As written above I plan to take this arrangement a step further and have made a quick sketch so far of how I wan't it to look in the end. I will probably make a new thread as soon as I (can) start to work on the diorama itself. A lot of the materials and decorations I need I do already have or are on its way as well.
"Bittersweet" is a perfect way to call it, yes - I hope PNSO gets around to gift us a new rendition of this genus.  :)

B @Bokisaurus Thanks  ^-^ and period. 

Halichoeres

I think the Maiasaura color schemes are fine. Just think of tapirs or wild boars, whose babies are all streaky, but who grow up into more solid-colored adults!

I like your ichthyosaur diorama plan. I hope if/when you get around to making it you share it with us.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 14, 2022, 04:29:52 PM
I think the Maiasaura color schemes are fine. Just think of tapirs or wild boars, whose babies are all streaky, but who grow up into more solid-colored adults!

I like your ichthyosaur diorama plan. I hope if/when you get around to making it you share it with us.

You're right... That's a very good example! :)
I most definitely will keep updating as soon as I start.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: