News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Dinosaur(s) Should Get A Toy?

Started by suspsy, November 20, 2012, 11:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Let's go with ones that have never been rendered in plastic, bronze, or otherwise before.

Four of my top choices would be:

Yutyrannus

Mononykus

Coahuilaceratops

Brontomerus
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gryphoceratops

I feel like we have had a thread like this somewhere. 

But to address this one I'd love a Dryptosaurus. 

I'm willing to bet that within the next year or so a yutyrannus will be made by at least one major company.

Takama

Yes I beleive we do,    But i dont know if its here, or on the original Forum.

anyway

All dinosaurs should be in toy form.    And i hope CollectA can acheive this some day

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would like to see more different species of Hadrosaurs, not just the common Para everyone does.  Would also like to see more Ornithomimids and Iguanodons .  Some of these are just constantly overlooked in favor of a theropod or ceratopsian.  At least Malcolm should be getting us an awesome Iguanodon figure.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on November 20, 2012, 11:28:11 PM
Let's go with ones that have never been rendered in plastic, bronze, or otherwise before.

Four of my top choices would be:

Yutyrannus

Mononykus

Coahuilaceratops

Brontomerus

I have a Yutyrannus figure! So it's been done at least once...

And these threads show up constantly. So there is probably one around here, one or more on the old threads, plus a few company- or animal-specific ones.

And what we really need are smaller dinos--the CollectA hypsilophodon and koreaceratops were a good start, but some little predators like suarornithoides and troodon, and other small plant eaters like Thescelosaurus would be great. Plus, extending 'dinosaurs' to include all dinosaurs, some of the toothed Cretaceous brids would be good figures as well (Hesperornis, Ichthyornis, Brodavis, etc).

Iguanocolossus

I'd like to see Safari's take on a Torosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus or Neovenator

Has anyone done a Gigantoraptor, Achillobator,  Sauropelta or Daspletosaurus?

Of course, Medusaceratops, Albertoceratops, Mojoceratops, Rubeosaurus, Spinops, Coahuilaceratops and the other recent hornheads would make excellent figures as well.

Ultimately, though, I would like to see more non-dinosaur prehistoric creatures. I want a Sivatherium, Amphicyon or a Moropus!

ZoPteryx

More small dinos (including some birds) like Mononykus, Masiakasaurus (I know one model exists), more oviraptorids, ornithomimids, small herbivores, etc.  If we expand to non-dinos, then more pterosaurs, ancient whales, and some obscure Paleozoic life. :)

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on November 21, 2012, 12:57:49 AM
Has anyone done a Gigantoraptor, Achillobator,  Sauropelta or Daspletosaurus?

CollectA has done a Gigantoraptor and next year they're coming out with a Daspletosaurus.

tyrantqueen

Some really obscure species (at least ones that are obscure to toy manufacturers) Why? Because obscure dinos need MOAR love.

Globidens
Xiaotingia
Torvosaurus
Ichthyovenator (I'm surprised they have not made one of this yet)
Puertasaurus
Pterodaustro

ZoPteryx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 21, 2012, 02:25:53 AM

Well, it was just discovered this year. ::)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zopteryx on November 21, 2012, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 21, 2012, 02:25:53 AM

Well, it was just discovered this year. ::)
As was Yutyrannus...

Patrx

Quote from: SBell on November 21, 2012, 12:04:47 AM
And what we really need are smaller dinos--the CollectA hypsilophodon and koreaceratops were a good start, but some little predators like suarornithoides and troodon, and other small plant eaters like Thescelosaurus would be great.

I couldn't agree more! I'm a fan of little dinosaurs like hypsilphodonts and small ceratopsians, but I thought those CollectA figures were too small and roughly sculpted. Maybe if Carnegie tried to do some. Since they're not bound to any scale, they could make bigger models like they did for Microraptor back in the day. Personally, I'd love a Sciurumimus figure. Or maybe a Coelophysis, or a non-JP Compsognathus. Also, if some company somewhere could make a nice Deinonychus that's in line with modern reconstructions, that'd be excellent. I think David Krentz talked of doing a Troodon via Shapeways, and I'm really looking forward to that :) Oh, and now that we know about ornithomimid wings, it'd be cool to have one of those. Struthiomimus, maybe? There don't seem to be many ornithomimid figures out there in the first place, sadly enough.

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on November 21, 2012, 12:57:49 AM
I want a Sivatherium, Amphicyon or a Moropus!

There's a Moropus in the Fauna Casts line that's quite nice :)

Jetoar

I think the same that you friends. We need a more small dinosaurs. I good like to see a pack of Troodon or Pelecanimimus  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 21, 2012, 08:23:52 AM
And what we really need are smaller dinos--the CollectA hypsilophodon and koreaceratops were a good start, but some little predators like suarornithoides and troodon, and other small plant eaters like Thescelosaurus would be great.

I couldn't agree more! I'm a fan of little dinosaurs like hypsilphodonts and small ceratopsians, but I thought those CollectA figures were too small and roughly sculpted. Maybe if Carnegie tried to do some. Since they're not bound to any scale, they could make bigger models like they did for Microraptor back in the day.

Could people please decide if they want figures to be in scale with each other, or large enough to be detailed? ;D Other threads complain that the line is not in scale--so they make small figures of small species, and now people complain here. No wonder companies have a hard time listening to the collectors market.

Iguanocolossus

Quote from: SBell on November 21, 2012, 02:39:55 PM

I couldn't agree more! I'm a fan of little dinosaurs like hypsilphodonts and small ceratopsians, but I thought those CollectA figures were too small and roughly sculpted. Maybe if Carnegie tried to do some. Since they're not bound to any scale, they could make bigger models like they did for Microraptor back in the day.

Could people please decide if they want figures to be in scale with each other, or large enough to be detailed? ;D Other threads complain that the line is not in scale--so they make small figures of small species, and now people complain here. No wonder companies have a hard time listening to the collectors market.

I actually don't want small species, so scale is more important to me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Is it too much to ask for both ?  ^-^

Seeing how detailed some of the smaller Japanese figures like Kaiyodos are I would say small and detailed is possible. I wouldn't mind that for scale's sake say in a truly 1/40 line. But I wouldn't mind larger figures of those smaller species either.  I'll even take 1/1 babies or hatchlings. ;)

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 21, 2012, 04:48:32 PM

Is it too much to ask for both ?  ^-^

Seeing how detailed some of the smaller Japanese figures like Kaiyodos are I would say small and detailed is possible. I wouldn't mind that for scale's sake say in a truly 1/40 line. But I wouldn't mind larger figures of those smaller species either.  I'll even take 1/1 babies or hatchlings. ;)

For retailers, though, small figures are a nightmare--the tree-base is a decent method. Or, of course, packages like toobs or blister cards.

But no company will ever mass produce high-detail small figures like the Dinotales. Even other Japanese companies still don't match their quality.

suspsy

I think what Carnegie does is a pretty good solution. Keep most of the big dinosaurs at the same scale, make the small dinosaurs a larger scale.

Sure, it may cause lay people to assume that Microraptor was the same size as Amargasaurus, but that's where dino experts like us come in!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Patrx

Hah, well, there are many different types of collectors in the market. Some folks like their dinosaurs to be in scale (perhaps in part for diorama purposes,) while people like me don't care as long as they're accurate and detailed.  8) I love the Kaiyodo figures - great details, usually very accurate, and all about the same size. Unfortunately, that size is rather tiny  :))

Quote from: suspsy on November 21, 2012, 07:10:03 PM
I think what Carnegie does is a pretty good solution. Keep most of the big dinosaurs at the same scale, make the small dinosaurs a larger scale.
Sure, it may cause lay people to assume that Microraptor was the same size as Amargasaurus, but that's where dino experts like us come in!

Exactly! All one has to do is mark the scale of each figure somewhere nearby, and nobody gets confused.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wasn't David creating a 1/40 Troodon ? If so we have that in scale piece to look forward to. 

Wonder if he could do one in 1/1 ? heh heh ;D

Jetoar

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 21, 2012, 08:28:51 PM

Hah, well, there are many different types of collectors in the market. Some folks like their dinosaurs to be in scale (perhaps in part for diorama purposes,) while people like me don't care as long as they're accurate and detailed.  8) I love the Kaiyodo figures - great details, usually very accurate, and all about the same size. Unfortunately, that size is rather tiny  :))

Quote from: suspsy on November 21, 2012, 07:10:03 PM

Exactly! All one has to do is mark the scale of each figure somewhere nearby, and nobody gets confused.

Yes I think the same that you. Carnegie and collecta do figures with scale  ^-^ and other figures out scale.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: