News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kinto Resin Desktop Dinosaur Models

Started by Simon, November 21, 2012, 01:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Hi - I didn't see a separate thread for this line, so here goes.  I've owned the Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus before, and admired some of their other pieces like the Stegosaurus (just got one but I'm not done repainting it yet).

However, I just received what I consider to be their best figure - the 1/40 scale Triceratops #2 figure.  I 'm gonna be reviewing it, but while the management reviews my submission, I thought I would share a few photos here:

It is 8" long, 3.5" tall, with a 3" long head.  Great detail, and an iconic looking head.  An absolutely beautiful figure:

Jetoar

I have the Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus v1 and they are cool  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Seijun

I love that tric. I think the horns would look cooler if they had more "swoosh" to them, but that's a very minor quibble. I have not bought it yet because it seems very expensive for such a small figure, but its on my list of things to get when I have too much money.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Jetoar

I bougth my sculptures in a museum and I pay 15 euros for figure. I think that is cheap for these sculptures  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

brontodocus

Yes, it's a very good looking Triceratops sculpture indeed. :) Really just 8" long and 3.5" high? That's not much bigger than the old Soft Model. :o
Quote from: Jetoar on November 21, 2012, 10:58:50 AM
I bougth my sculptures in a museum and I pay 15 euros for figure. I think that is cheap for these sculptures  ^-^
Me too! :o I'd like to know which Museum that is, they normally sell for three times as much or even more (and most things in Museum shops I know are more expensive than in online stores)!

I have two of the Michael Trcic Desktop models by Favorite, the Spinosaurus and Allosaurus:

And the "Flavio supervised" Archaeopteryx (life size):

Hmmm, my only picture of the Spinosaurus Hunting model I could find is 400 px wide. :-[ I need to make a better one...

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

DinoLord

I have their newer Spinosaurus. I think it's a very nice model.

I agree, I'd like to know what museum is selling them for that cheap.

tyrantqueen

I own the 1950's Iguanodon, the 1850's Iguanodon, their modern Iguanodon, and the Oldies 1950 Brachiosaurus. I also reviewed the Oldies 1850 Iggy and 1950's Brachio too. Ah, those were good times... :)

I love that Trcic Spino btw, beautiful model.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am fond of this series of dinosaurs despite the cost. I bought several in one large purchase, the Stegosaurus, the Brachiosaurus, Amargasaurus,and the Scipionyx and Compsognathus. The latter two are both life sized, and cost more than most of the others sadly. I particularly was fond of the stegosaurus, and Compie.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

That Triceratops is one of my favorite models around, actually. I've been thinking for ages about getting mine repainted, but I'm wary of shipping something that delicate. It is pretty expensive for the size, but it's also the only ceratopsian I've seen outside the Kaiyodo figures that has its hands oriented correctly.

Quote from: Seijun on November 21, 2012, 09:56:26 AM
I love that tric. I think the horns would look cooler if they had more "swoosh" to them, but that's a very minor quibble.

I think the horns are shaped that way because it's based on Triceratops prorsus, rather than the more commonly seen T. horridus. I concur, horridus' swooping horns do look a little more impressive.
Y'know, I'm not much of a Spinosaurus fan, but that Trcic model does look pretty good. The skull seems a little off, but the details are great.

Jetoar

Allosaurus and spinosaurus are cool but i would like another colors ^-^. Retro sculptures are amazing. I like these kind of figures  ^-^.

Horridus

Quote from: Simon on November 21, 2012, 01:08:55 AM
However, I just received what I consider to be their best figure - the 1/40 scale Triceratops #2 figure.  I 'm gonna be reviewing it, but while the management reviews my submission, I thought I would share a few photos here:
I hate to spoil your fun, but... http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2010/12/27/triceratops-desktop-model-by-favorite-co-ltd/

In addition to that one, I also have the Mk 1 Triceratops - there's a comparison shot in the review. A nicer paintjob, and larger, but less anatomically correct.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Simon

Oh well!  the problem with the Blog set up is that I only get 2 results per page for each search;  if ALL came up (as ought to be the case), I would have found the previous review.  The comparison shot shows that although smaller than versions 1, the head is the same size, as the first version had a head that was mush too small.  Thanks for pointing out the Prorsus head - I didn't get that and thought the head looked a little funny for a Horridus ...

... I have this figure facing off with the Krentz Shapeways 1/40 trex

Takama

The only one i have is the Armagasaurus, and its missing a spine.   I got it at the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center in Colorado, and it was the most expensive dinosaur In my possesion. until i bought the 1:15 T-Rex from CollectA in 2011

Horridus

Quote from: Simon on November 22, 2012, 10:26:08 PM
as the first version had a head that was mush too small.
Yeah, there are various things wrong with it that the second version fixes. However, I do like the way the horns were painted on the first one - a really nice, expertly graduated ivory look, rather than BLACK.

Still, if I could only have one, you know it'd be the 2nd one! It's just awesome. Actually, your little mini-diorama sounds pretty awesome too. Can we see a picture?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 21, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
Ah, those were good times... :)
You should write some more reviews! I enjoyed your previous ones.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Takama

Quote from: Horridus on November 23, 2012, 06:30:02 PM
Quote from: Simon on November 22, 2012, 10:26:08 PM
as the first version had a head that was mush too small.
Yeah, there are various things wrong with it that the second version fixes. However, I do like the way the horns were painted on the first one - a really nice, expertly graduated ivory look, rather than BLACK.

Still, if I could only have one, you know it'd be the 2nd one! It's just awesome. Actually, your little mini-diorama sounds pretty awesome too. Can we see a picture?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 21, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
Ah, those were good times... :)
You should write some more reviews! I enjoyed your previous ones.

Same here

Bokisaurus

Ah yes, the resin Kinto/Dinostroeus figures. Great set, but hard on the pocket ;D
I was lucky enough to get mine mostly from a huge trade in figures and also endlessly searching ebay for some of these figures at a cheaper cost (less than $30, and yes, I have found a few!).
[

[

Enjoy  ;)

Jetoar

Cool Photographs, Tyrannosaurus fight is amazing. Thanks for share friend  ^-^.

brontodocus

Ah, that life-sized Flavio Compsognathus! :) Looks huge among the others. Too bad I didn't buy it when it was readily available... :-\

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd still like to pick up the Allosaurus and 1/1 Compy..if it ever shows up again I'd like to find that 1/1 Archeaopteryx as well.

Horridus

I have the Allosaurus, but was under the impression that it was only ever sold as Dinostoreus piece (even if it was manufactured by Favorite). Did Favorite sell it as well?

It's a wonderful piece, by the way (sculpted by Shane Foulkes).
@Mhorridus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: