News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your Favorite Artwork(s) of Your Favorite Fossil Species

Started by HD-man, April 07, 2022, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Time for my number seven, Baryonyx walkeri!

By Robinson Kunz, a nice modern representation of Baryonyx.
  (Image source)

By TheWoodParable.  The detail and beauty of the natural environment in this piece is amazing!  The Baryonyx is wonderful too.  The rocky beach looks similar to European beaches I've visited, specifically in the UK and Italy, it's nice to be reminded of them and it's also nice since Baryonyx is a European animal.
  (Image source)

By SameerPrehistorica, I like this reconstruction of Baryonyx.
  (Image source)

By PaleoGuy, this is a striking piece.
  (Image source)

By paleopeter, I enjoy this scene!
  (Image source)

While getting TheWoodParable's Baryonyx artwork, I discovered a Velociraptor mongoliensis artwork by them that I very much like!  I've included it below:
  (Image source)

Concavenator

I really like Kunz's and TheWoodParable's Baryonyx (and the Velociraptor as well), thank you for sharing! avatar_Sim @Sim

Today I want to share some of my favorite artwork of 2 of my favorite dinosaurs, and both of them come from the Morrison Formation (my favorite geological formation): Allosaurus and Diplodocus.

Allosaurus has always been my favorite prehistoric animal. Part of it is because of just how cool it is, and it shows how rough theropod lives were. In spite of its difficult life, Allosaurus kept going on and on, seeking survival. Big Al is a prime example of this. I visited the National Museum of Natural Sciences (Madrid) several times, and they have a mounted Allosaurus skeleton next to the shop. Also, I've always been a fan of the "2nds". Allosaurus is easily one of the most studied and well-known theropod dinosaurs, but it doesn't get as much attention as Tyrannosaurus. These are the reasons why I'm connected to Allosaurus that much and why I love it.

By Fred Wierum. I'm a big fan of calm, natural poses in prehistoric animals (aesthetically I really prefer them over dynamic poses, and they also clash with the "awesomebro" image of dinosaurs the average public have, which is appreciated).

By Fred Wierum. Even though I primarily like calm scenes, it's a fact nature is not always calm and peaceful, sometimes there are tense moments. And as mentioned, Allosaurus did live a violent life. The idea behind this piece was based on this paper

By TheMingau. Interesting colour scheme and texturing.

By tnilab-ekneb121. I really like the colour scheme.

By Reiimon. Unusual yet lovely coloration and crest ornamentation.

By Reiimon. It captures its look really well.

Now, for Diplodocus! I'm a big fan of it because of how elegant it is, despite being such a big creature. I'm also personally attached to it because, having visited the National Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid (as already mentioned) I got to see a mounted skeletal and it was a real sight. 

By Gabriel Ugueto. He always does an amazing job.

By Fred Wierum. Nice colour scheme and the spiky whip-like tail is portrayed perfectly.

By Fred Wierum. Even though the Apatosaurus (another one of my favorite sauropods, I really like  diplodocids) is taking the spotlight, those Diplodocus on the back look really nice.

By RudolfHima. Surely an impressive scene!

By cisiopurple. A nice size comparison with a H.sapiens.

By Paleop. Another size comparison that shows the size and grace of these magnificent creatures, and the colour scheme is striking.

Pliosaurking

Here's some art of my 2 favourite prehistoric animals triceratops and pliosaurus.

I never really grew up with vintage dinosaurs exactly but I do still love them none the less!
Knights work is absolutely incredible and I love their calm, natural poses.

Here's another beautiful, more modern take on triceratops by Lucas Attwell

Here's one by vcubestudios another gorgeous rendition

And one last one for triceratops, this work of art for fossil crates by GMonroy!

As for pliosaurus

Here's mark Wilton's art, and WOW!

Here's Gabriel Ugueto's
Yeah he never disappoints!

And I know it's not a pliosaurus but it's still a pliosaur and it's too beautiful to not show!
This beautiful rendition of a kronosaurus is by avalis

HD-man

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I've been meaning to ask: What do you think of Deinocheirus as they appear in Chuang/Yang's Age of Dinosaurs ( https://flic.kr/p/2e3cV4W )? I know you prefer seeing them in their natural environment, but I thought the extra detail & realism might make up for that ;)
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on August 08, 2022, 11:04:57 PMavatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I've been meaning to ask: What do you think of Deinocheirus as they appear in Chuang/Yang's Age of Dinosaurs ( https://flic.kr/p/2e3cV4W )? I know you prefer seeing them in their natural environment, but I thought the extra detail & realism might make up for that ;)

Oh, wow! This is my first time seeing it. Honestly, I wouldn't rank it as high as the others I posted. I'm not a fan of the sparse feathering and the hump looks more sail-like than I would prefer. Aside from that it is of course a fantastic piece. If PNSO made a Deinocheirus like this I would likely buy it.

Gwangi

Happy to see this thread taking off. I wish that I was able to reply to every post but it got a bit out of hand for awhile there. Love all the contributions though. Some excellent art being posted here, including some I never saw before.

With the discovery of Jakapil I think I've got another dinosaur to add to my lengthy list of favorites. The discovery of Jakapil got me thinking about another favorite though, Scutellosaurus. I'm still waiting patiently for a figure of the genus but I suspect that we'll get a Jakapil before we get Scutellosaurus.

Not surprisingly, Gabriel Ugueto did one of my favorite pieces of Scutellosaurus.

My favorite artwork of Scutellosaurus has to go to John Conway though.

Halichoeres

I don't really have favorite species, but thanks to everyone for posting all this wonderful art. A great thread to take a stroll through.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Here's some of my favorite art of Acrocanthosaurus, one of my favorite allosauroids.

By Zach Robinson

By FeatherNerd (DeviantArt)

By DastardlyDilong (DeviantArt)

By bluegekk0 (DeviantArt)

By Gustavomaximus (DeviantArt)

Sim

Time for my number eight, Stegosaurus stenops!

By Fred Wierum, a nice modern restoration of Stegosaurus.
  (Image source)

By Julio-Lacerda, I like the tranquility of this scene.  The animals, the plants, the light, are all wonderful.
  (Image source)

By PaleoGuy, a nice scene which shows interesting behaviour from Stegosaurus: rearing up.
  (Image source)

By r-heinart, it's not often you see a stegosaurian from this angle, unless you're a carnivorous theropod!  Stegosaurus is so cool!
  (Image source)

By PaleoGuy, a striking scene.
  (Image source)

By Andorou-Khan, the behaviour of the two animals make this scene come alive!
  (Image source)

By PaleoGuy, I find it cool when there's fog, and Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus in the mist is also cool!
  (Image source)

By T-PEKC, I like how this Stegosaurus looks inquisitive.
  (Image source)

Gwangi

A nice selection of Stegosaurus avatar_Sim @Sim. I really like that one by Andorou-Khan.

Personally, I'm partial to John Conway's. Although I remember there being a version with straight-edged plates that I prefer over the jagged ones in this version.

and I also like Brian Franczak's.

Sim

I too prefer straight-edged plates on stegosaurians.  I like Brian Franczak's version, it's very striking!

I forgot to include a couple of Stegosaurus stenops artwork in my previous post, here they are!:

By Robert Nicholls for the Natural History Museum, London.  Striking!  Pun not intended!
  (Image source)

I think this one is also by Robert Nicholls for the Natural History Museum, London.  I like the Stegosaurus's colouration and the atmosphere and composition of this piece.
  (Image source)

Kapitaenosavrvs

There is so so much great Paleoart out there, that i think it is impossible for me, to pick something that is better to me than anything else. But there are of course, Artworks that kept cycling though the head and never left. This here is one of the many. By the great Mark Witton. But i guess, you all know him and his works.

Stegotyranno420

I love all these stegosaurus pics. Keep 'em coming

HD-man

Quote from: Sim on August 25, 2022, 05:41:15 PMBy Fred Wierum, a nice modern restoration of Stegosaurus.

I like all his Stegos, but especially this 1 b/c it's both nostalgic & up-to-date: https://www.deviantart.com/fredthedinosaurman/art/Commission-Stegosaurus-795350473

Quote from: Sim on August 25, 2022, 05:41:15 PMBy Julio-Lacerda, I like the tranquility of this scene.  The animals, the plants, the light, are all wonderful.

I like that 1 too, but have you seen the new & improved version?: https://archive.ph/wip/TdKGT

Quote from: Sim on August 25, 2022, 07:25:59 PMI think this one is also by Robert Nicholls for the Natural History Museum, London.  I like the Stegosaurus's colouration and the atmosphere and composition of this piece.

;) Since that's also 1 of my favorite Stego artworks, here's a less blurry version:

Here's another 1 of my favorites. For those who don't know, I love PNSO ( https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9979.0 ). In this case, I especially love the colors/patterns & references to real fossils:

Sim

H @HD-man, thanks for sharing that new version of the image by Julio-Lacerda!  I hadn't seen it before.  I like it just as much as the old version.  Thanks also for finding a non-blurry version of that Sophie artwork! :)  I like the PNSO Stegosaurus vs Allosaurus artwork too.  I just find it odd that they included it with their Allosaurus figure rather than their Stegosaurus figure.

Sim

Here's my number nine, Sinornithosaurus millenii!

By FunkMonk, it's a nice representation of Sinornithosaurus!
  (Image source)

By RAPHTOR, I like how birdlike it looks and the personality it has!
  (Image source)

By cisiopurple, a very good restoration of Sinornithosaurus!
  (Image source)

By cisiopurple again, it's nice seeing Sinornithosaurus flying!
  (Image source)

By Nobu Tamura, I like it a lot although the sickle claws are too small.
  (Image source)

By Medenadragon, it's a very nice restoration!
  (Image source)

By PedroSalas, it's cool to see a dromaeosaurid, in this case Sinornithosaurus, using its wings to help it climb up a tree.
  (Image source)

By betorex.  Er, it's a Sinornithosaurus eating a Repenomamus.  Sorry if you find this gross.  I like how birdlike the Sinornithosaurus is and it's also satisfying to see the dinosaur-eating mammal get eaten by a dinosaur.
  (Image source)

By Planet Dinosaur, Sinornithosaurus attacking an outdated Microraptor.  I liked the Sinornithosaurus reconstruction from that series.
  (Image source)

By Fraizer, I think this restoration is awesome!
  (Image source)

By Emily Willoughby.  This scene is beautiful and I particularly like the plants and the Sinornithosaurus which is on the ground.
  (Image source)

HD-man

Quote from: Sim on July 22, 2022, 12:30:57 PMTime for my number seven, Baryonyx walkeri!

These are probably my older & newer favorites, respectively:

Quote from: Concavenator on July 28, 2022, 12:10:08 AMToday I want to share some of my favorite artwork of 2 of my favorite dinosaurs, and both of them come from the Morrison Formation (my favorite geological formation): Allosaurus and Diplodocus.

I still haven't decided on newer favorites for either, but this is definitely my older favorite for both:

Quote from: Sim on August 28, 2022, 09:26:54 PMHere's my number nine, Sinornithosaurus millenii!

Of those you listed, I especially like Planet Dinosaur's in terms of colors/patterns & PedroSalas' in terms of ecology/behavior (here's another 1 by him that I like: https://www.deviantart.com/pedrosalas/art/Sinornithosaurus-millenii-820359942 ). Chuang's is 1 of my overall favorites, exposed teeth notwithstanding:

Sim

I like those artworks of Baryonyx you shared!  The Sinornithosaurus ones are nice too.

Here's my number ten, Deinonychus antirrhopus!  Some artwork of it that I like a lot has already been posted in this thread, below is what I've got to add.

By Fred Wierum.  This is just excellent.  I love it!
  (Image source)

By tnilab-ekneb121, simple but awesome.
  (Image source)

By RAPHTOR, the light and action make this piece dramatic and a pleasure to look at.
  (Image source)

By DuskyVel, this is nice.
  (Image source)

By DELIRIO88.  It reminds me of a shrike, although I think I read it was based on a partridge.  It's a nice look for Deinonychus.
  (Image source)

By cisiopurple.  This is awesome!
  (Image source)

By Matthew Martyniuk.  A Deinonychus climbs up a tree to avoid an Acrocanthosaurus.  This artwork is inspiring and it has remained in my mind as one of the things I associate with Deinonychus.
  (Image source)

By TheHellckan.  It's splendid.
  (Image source)

By Nobu Tamura, quite an iconic piece.
  (Image source)

By Durbed.  An Acrocanthosaurus drags a Tenontosaurus carcass away from a pair of Deinonychus.  An interesting interaction and I like how the Deinonychus are shown in the dark here.
  (Image source)

By Mark Witton.  This artwork is spectacular!
  (Image source)

HD-man

Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2022, 04:59:10 PMHere's my number ten, Deinonychus antirrhopus!  Some artwork of it that I like a lot has already been posted in this thread,

Anything in particular?

BTW, of those you listed, I especially like DuskyVel's. There aren't enough artworks of allo-preening eudromaeosaurs IMO.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator
Quote from: HD-man on September 03, 2022, 10:12:40 AMI still haven't decided on newer favorites for either, but this is definitely my older favorite for both:

In retrospect, I should've realized my newer favorite sooner. Sorry I couldn't find a better-quality version online (all the more reason to get Naish/Barrett's Dinosaurs: How They Lived and Evolved if you haven't already ;) ):

Halichoeres

That piece by RAPHTOR really is spectacularly lit.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: