News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Figure Paintjobs

Started by Gwangi, April 07, 2022, 03:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

The thread title is pretty self explanatory. This isn't a favorite figure thread, it's a favorite paintjob thread. What are some of your favorite paintjobs applied to a figure? You don't even have to like the figure itself, although you probably do. I'll start with a lengthy list to get things going. All pictures are pulled from the Dino Toy Blog.

Battat toys, a lot of them still have some of my all-time favorite paintjobs.

Styracosaurus

Parasaurolophus. I like the repaint too, but the original is best.

Tyrannosaurus

Ouranosaurus

Moving on from Battat...

Safari Coelophysis

Kenner Bull Tyrannosaurus

PNSO Corythosaurus

PNSO Eurhinosaurus

PNSO Nemicolopterus

Carnegie Carnotaurus

Toyway Ophthalmosaurus

I'll leave it there for now but will probably contribute more in the future. Looking forward to seeing your favorites!

paintingdinos

Kaiyodo in general has some really cool paint jobs, but I think my all time favorite design on a figure is their Yutyrannus.

pic taken from the DTB review

Gwangi

Ah yes, Kaiyodo. They definitely have some of the best. Some of my favorites include...

Carnotaurus

Camarasaurus

Ceratosaurus

Protoceratops

Tarbosaurus

Sofubi T. rex.

bmathison1972

I don't know offhand of individual favorites, but I would have to say I like PNSO's paint schemes the best and probably CollectA's the least (for dinos)

Faelrin

I think the PNSO Parasaurolophus and Lambeosaurus definitely need to be mentioned. I don't know if any future models of those two will be able to top how appealing those two are to me, because of their coloration. I think the Amargasaurus (either version I guess), Spinosaurus (2020), and Dunkleosteus are also worth a mention here. The new Torosaurus looks beautiful as well.

I also really like the Safari Ltd Carnotaurus, Deinonychus, Iguanodon, Pteranodon, Styracosaurus, and though I'm behind on getting it, the Camarasaurus. I do like many others, but I think these ones stand out among the rest in my collection.

As far as CollectA goes, I do rather like their Edaphosaurus, and Iguanodon.

Despite it's anatomical shortcomings, the Papo Acrocanthosaurus has one of the most gorgeous colorations on any theropod figure yet still. I also still love the simpler (original) Papo Allosaurus. Another one worth mentioning from me is the 2019 Spinosaurus. At that time with so many options put out that year, it was the one that really appealed to me the most. I like their Dimetrodon as well. No other has really appealed to me on the market thus far, except surprisingly, Mattel's. It's also another one I've been behind on adding to my collection (ditto with the Acrocanthosaurus).

Can't also forget about the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures too. Really love the Diabloceratops, Gorgosaurus, Proceratosaurus, Styracosaurus, the upcoming Medusaceratops, and many more. Even if they have inspiration in extant animals, they still look rather wonderful adapted on to those dinosaurs.

And maybe not as elaborate as the above, but I also really love the Favorite Cambrian set. The mix of colors are just so eye catching to me, like the green Opabinia, or the pink Hallucigenia.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JohannesB

Just from the top of my head I would say the PNSO Tarbosaurus is one of my all-time favourites. I like simple (drab) colour schemes on big animals like that, somehow it feels very realistic. But if there is to be some bright colour (very plausible in dinosaurs, for sure), then the PNSO Torosaurus in my view is the perfect combination of a nice simple paint scheme for the body with a realistic splash of colour for the frill. Another favourite of mine is the W-Dragon Tyrannosaurus ("Rexy") figure, with its many subtle shades. 

Gwangi

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I definitely agree about the PNSO Parasaurolophus, Lambeosaurus, and Dunkleosteus. And I agree with avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB about the Tarbosaurus, though I probably wouldn't consider it among my favorite paintjobs ever. Speaking of PNSO, add Tsintaosaurus to the list. The Torosaurus is fantastic and I like the added colors and patterns on the frill. That said, the paintjob on the frill is kind of boring to me, because of all the patterns you could put on a frill it seems kind of typical. But that's just my personal opinion.

When it comes to CollectA I'm not a huge fan of most of their paintjobs. The Edaphosaurus is a standout, and one of my favorite CollectA figures as a result.

JohannesB

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I think I look at paint jobs from a certain angle which takes the whole animal as a living being into account, and judge it from there. I don't know if that makes any sense - I am just trying to find out what it is about a paint scheme that attracts me. But if I were to take it to another extreme, I would certainly choose the PNSO Corythosaurus as one of my first choices for 'best paint schemes'. But that feeling is partly influenced by the fact that I think that it is one of the most beautiful dinosaur models. (Mine does stay standing upright quite stably, luckily.)

Gwangi

It makes sense avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB. I'm still trying to figure out what it is about a paintjob that attracts me too. Looking at the figures I posted, and taking into account my love of paintings by Doug Henderson, I think it's clear that I like strong contrast and sharp lines. But I do like subdued paintjobs with calmer color tones and gentle blending too, like the PNSO Tarbosaurus which is still my favorite PNSO theropod. And the Corythosaurus is still my favorite PNSO dinosaur in general. They're paintjobs are quite different and I still love them both.

One thing I know for sure is that I'm mighty tired of tiger stripes, especially on theropods!

JohannesB

Quote from: Gwangi on April 07, 2022, 10:33:16 PM
It makes sense avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB. I'm still trying to figure out what it is about a paintjob that attracts me too. Looking at the figures I posted, and taking into account my love of paintings by Doug Henderson, [...]

Yes! I also love the way he combines and contrasts colours, sometimes divided by a straight or wiggly dark stripe. He is the master in that, in my view. I have a few books with his art that I treasure, especially the big coffee table hardback "Dinosaurs: A Global View" (1991), and "Dawn of the Dinosaurs: Life in the Triassic" (2006)

Gwangi

Quote from: JohannesB on April 07, 2022, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 07, 2022, 10:33:16 PM
It makes sense avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB. I'm still trying to figure out what it is about a paintjob that attracts me too. Looking at the figures I posted, and taking into account my love of paintings by Doug Henderson, [...]

Yes! I also love the way he combines and contrasts colours, sometimes divided by a straight or wiggly dark stripe. He is the master in that, in my view. I have a few books with his art that I treasure, especially the big coffee table hardback "Dinosaurs: A Global View" (1991), and "Dawn of the Dinosaurs: Life in the Triassic" (2006)

Yup! I have both of those books too.  ^-^ And a poster on the wall of his Tarbosaurus and Saurolophus painting. I would love to get more art of his on my wall.

Pachyrhinosaurus

My favorite paintjobs would be the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus, new Carnotaurus, and new Velociraptor. The later Carnegies are some of my favorite dinosaur toys in general, and the paintwork on some of them feels fresh and original while still keeping with the character of the species. I think the 2015 velociraptor was especially great after having a few years of mostly green dinosaurs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 08, 2022, 02:01:02 AM
My favorite paintjobs would be the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus, new Carnotaurus, and new Velociraptor. The later Carnegies are some of my favorite dinosaur toys in general, and the paintwork on some of them feels fresh and original while still keeping with the character of the species. I think the 2015 velociraptor was especially great after having a few years of mostly green dinosaurs.

Oh yes, can't forget the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus. The Tylosaurus has a nice paintjob too. They're both on my most wanted list. I failed to acquire them when they were still in production. One of my greatest collecting regrets.

BlueKrono

Haha, good query! I'll try to narrow it down to a short list:
1. Toyway Ophthalmosaurus - Probably my favorite paint job ever right here. It's beyond beautiful.
2. SEGA Dinosaur King Futabasaurus - Lovely water shimmer design on the back. Hopefully I can replicate this when I paint some of my plesiosaur model kits.
3. Kaiyodo white Acrocanthosaurus - Such detail in so small a figure. This one is quite striking.
4. Kaiyodo Dimetrodon, rainbow sail - Great color blending on this one.
5. Yowies Wiwaxia - I couldn't leave this one out. It's just so... so FABULOUS!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Quen

Good topic! Ones I'm particularly fond of that have not been mentioned yet:

Kaiyodo Brachiosaurus - I'm very fond of the intricate pattern, and it's one I've always wanted to see scaled-up.

Carnegie Microraptor - it's very pretty, even if it's outdated.

Battat Cryolophosaurus - I really like those particular shades of green and red.

GojiraGuy1954

EoFauna Diplodocus, Atlasaurus, PNSO Dunkleosteus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SRF

Of all the figures in my collection, the PNSO Torosaurus has my favorite paintjob. I really like the color scheme of its body and the colors of the frill are phenomenal. Really a stand out piece in my collection. I also really like the color scheme of the Parasaurolophus.

Besides that, when it comes to the inside of the mouth of a theropod figure, Winter Wilson definitely stands out compared to others. Mainly for that reason I have him displayed with his mouth wide open, while most theropods in my collection are displayed with their mouths closed.
But today, I'm just being father

Mellow Stego

Well I'm sitting here in my Dino/library room so I'll list my favs from my collection.

In no particular order
CollectA Deluxe Dimorphodon
Pnso Eurhinosaurus
Pnso Dunkleosteus
Pnso Lambeosaurus
Pnso micro raptor
Pretty much all of the Pnso minis
Safari deinocheirus
Rebor Stegosaurus, all different kinds.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Halichoeres

I always liked the faint brown wash on the Carnegie Diplodocus that suggested an animal that had taken a dip in some turbid water.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

I recently got myself WWD Polacanthus and I must say, I really like its paintjob. Kaiyodo Protoceratops is one of my favourites, too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: