News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Faras' Collection (Mainly PNSO)

Started by Faras, June 12, 2022, 04:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faras

Hi all, guess it's time to post my collection as I have finally completed my PNSO prehistoric collection for now (skipping some old vinyl and bookstands, premium statues, various paint versions and old Wilson) :) At the moment I am mostly picking up PNSO pieces due to domestic price advantage and limited space. I'll try to focus on artistic aspects and common issues here since our better educated members already posted paleontological reviews of these figures.

Sorry about awful smartphone pictures and not taking things out (as I'd end up spend hours trying to put them back to exactly where they were...).

Faras

First some non-PNSO metal curiosities :P Thought I'd wait for a stainless steel Dunkleosteus bottle opener before posting but alas it's postponed with no estimated release date...

Brass "Saber-tooth" skull with sterling silver canine teeth: looks like Oxyaenidae and Machairodontinae hybrid, pretty narrow for better daily use, obviously little anatomy accuracy. Nevertheless it's still a good looking keychain with solid craftsmanship.

Brass trilobite guitar pick: probably too thick for playing guitar, looks good on keyring though.

Group shot of my metal collection. It's growing slowly when my wallet isn't raided empty by PNSO and other collections...

Concavenator

Very impressive collection, and so nicely arranged.

What's that you're using for displaying the figures in the upper part of each shelf? I can't tell if they're display risers or if those transparent platforms are glued to the sides of the shelves. If they're display risers, where did you get them? I might be interested in getting some for me as well... ::)

Faras

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thank you! ^-^

Acrylic risers from Taobao (actually I searched for "shoes stand" as "figure stands" are exactly the same but overpriced), mine are 23.5cm L *10cm W *11cm H, about 3mm thick. Stands under Hadrosaurs are slightly bent from the weight, rest seems fine. 11cm height is enough for placing most PNSO herbivores underneath, some theropods and marine creatures need 1-2cm extra though. Wider is always better, but it usually means extra length that can lead to bending.

I bought these at start, turned out to be overkill for PVC figures and waste the space under stands:

ceratopsian

That's an excellent collection. Your little metal items are unusual and intriguing. Nice cabinets too. I'll try "shoe stands". The risers I tried some time back do indeed waste the space underneath.

Faras

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Thank you :) Yeah shoe stands tend to be 50% cheaper than figure stands, ideally I'd go for 15cm tall ones but couldn't any with <25cm length.

Hmm that reminds me, saw some really nice marine figure display a while ago in this post: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7783834553

Faras

Now time to write about each figure, probably gonna take a few days...

Ceratosaurus: my first PNSO and first piece of serious collection. Biggest problem is it's too lean (could explain why it's lunging at a giant Chungkingosaurus here, lol), paintjob isn't as good as pic on the box but still better than most of PNSOs. Multiple paint wear on limbs since only the head was wrapped in plastic. Eyes are printed. I use action figure base as the original base blocks too much light and keeps the figure in a weird angle.

Original resin version (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7835905581):

Chungkingosaurus: my second figure. No paint wear as plastic at it's feet keeps it in the middle of the box. Typical pre-2019 skin textures with osteoderm around throat and on the body. Brilliant paints if you ignore random white thing (glue?) over the body (honestly I feel older pieces have better paintjobs in general).

Original design (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5796347438):

These two look good together if you ignore that they are in different scales (1:10 and 1:5) and probably wouldn't meet. Chungkingosaurus facing Ceratosaurus is probably better, shame I don't have the space :(

Big Microraptor: superb paintjob, feathers have metallic paints that shift between purple and green depending on lights. Fine details on feathers, waist gap is well hidden in feathers. Feather crest, exposed teeth and badly painted eyes make the face look silly though. There's a plastic stand in box that could be missed easily when unpacking.

Edit: found some old photos in my Taobao reviews. Apologise for awful quality as I've deleted original pics in phone ages ago :( This figure have thick paints, no paint wear from several disk failures.

Small Microraptors: pose can be interpreted as taking off or flying, no fancy paints or details.

Resin version (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5796347438):

Baby Sinoceratops: details are better than 2021/2022 average (very fine scales, no detail loss, nearly resin level) despite it's a 2019 figure. Decent paints, innocent face/pose, flawless printed eyes. I feel it's one of their best in all aspects.

Baby T. rex: quality is subpar compared to baby Sinoceratops - imperfect eyes, gloss isn't smooth on mine, many from the first batch has eyes looking at different directions, luckily PNSO recalled those, iirc no eye problem on baby Sinoceratops; unpainted teeth (corrected in later batches); forelimbs stick to the body; awful seams on tail. Anyways it's still a lifelike, cute and slightly dangerous looking baby.

New batch with painted teeth (credit to Tieba):

Minis in first pic: my Archaeopteryx has problem standing on flat surface due to bent leg (possibly packing problem). Rest are standing perfectly after 1.5 years in display. They have nice details and were masterfully painted for their sizes.

Yangchuanosaurus, Chungkingosaurus, Sinosauropteryx and Microraptors resin statues (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7835905581):

KeU

What a collection.
And everything is displayed aesthetically.
Looking forward to your posts as you step through your collection in detail.

BlueKrono

avatar_Faras @Faras Where do you get your metal pieces? That Dunkleosteus bottle opener sounds intriguing. 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gothmog the Baryonyx

My what an incredible collection, looks like a small museum
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

avatar_Faras @Faras thank you, I was searching for the name of those clear stands for AGES. Great collection too!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faras

Thanks everyone! Hmm maybe I should post more photos of my figures in each section, updating previous post then :)

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono I bought them from two shops on Taobao:
- Shop for the four on the left and Dunkleosteus: https://shop535387298.taobao.com/category.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c-s.w4010-18915585641.2.594a5316vZRCew&search=y
- Shop for the three on the right: https://coppertistwu.taobao.com/category.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c-s.w4010-16602214805.2.3205457bMtMMJU&search=y
- Another shop I'm watching (absolutely gorgeous designs, most pendants have multiple moveable joints, prices tho... :'( ): https://shop183086795.taobao.com/search.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.0.0.76297f28aW9KWY&search=y

Dunkleosteus bottle opener: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.418e2e8dHp7NFw&id=672350301578&_u=dnm23hl545b
Official price is 186 CNY/27.7 USD, they changed it to 999 CNY to stop folks from ordering more while they tackle with defect rates. Handful of qualified products shipped to early pre orders so there are some in hand pictures in review/evaluation section:
Spoiler

[close]

Faras

Too many images, putting some in spoiler. Sorry about low quality of most images of each figures, I deleted original files so had to download from previous reviews...

Old Mamenchisaurus: outdated reconstructions, old details and no bulk. Earlier batches has some problem standing (mine is fine, purchased Jan. 2021). That being said I do like the open mouth which can be interpreted as roaring.

1:1 statue (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5796347438):
Spoiler
[close]

IIRC first version was released with China National Philatelic Corporation in 2017, this version uses tougher materials, has no metal rod on the base (seems it tend to fall to left side), has somewhat different angles for neck/tail. Paints are also different:
Spoiler

[close]

China Post also released set of Chinese dinosaurs - seven little dinosaurs and several stamp books in 2017. Sinosauropteryx from the set was released as mini after revival of PNSO, other six dinosaurs were released in separate line in late 2020/early 2021.
Spoiler

[close]

Currently I have two of the stamp books - The Dinosaurs Reborn 恐龙大观 and Chinese Dinosaurs on Stamps 邮票上的中国恐龙. These two contains all 2017 PNSO stamps. I'm planning to get some other books too this month (A Close look at the Dinosaurs 走近恐龙, Dinosaur World 恐龙世界).

The Dinosaurs Reborn

Nearly 40 pics in spoiler ;)
Spoiler

[close]

Chinese Dinosaurs on Stamps

Spoiler

[close]

New Mamenchisaurus: somewhat greasy paints, some visible seams and detail loss. The muscles and skin are slightly dragged down by gravity. IMHO majority of PVC sauropods lack these details so they don't feel like real living creature with massive weight. This figure's bulk is spot on.

Small Mamenchisaurus: adult proportions, old reconstructions, good addition to the herd.

Mamenchisaurus mini: same skin texture as old Mamenchisaurus. Its pose fits perfectly on old Mamenchisaurus' base.

Guidraco mini: decent match with old Mamenchisaurus or other roaring dinosaurs if you pretend they'd meet ;)

Ampelosaurus mini: it can stand on hindlimbs and looks good thanks to poses of forelimbs and small feets.

Amargasaurus: mine came from second batch, so paints are less vibrant (on the bright side, no weird bright yellow on the bottom of the neck). Biggest problem is it leans to the left straight out of the box, the base worsens the problem so eventually I decided to put it under new Mamenchisaurus. Luckily it didn't fall during 15 months in display.

Different paint versions(from Taobao reviews):
Spoiler

[close]

New paint design is closer to original resin statue (https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5796347438):
Spoiler
[close]

Amargasaurus mini: nice pose that allow interesting interactions with other figures.

Old Stegosaurus: structure and paints are decent, but musculature and details failed. Scales on this one are actually bigger than on many 2021-2022 releases, so detail loss was caused by moulds or factory (could explain why they change factory).

New Stegosaurus: having it in display for 13 months, now I have to say this is a masterpiece. The combination of decent scientific reconstruction, perfect muscle/tendon tension and top notch details makes the figure very pleasing to the eyes. Even the paint design is good, only problem is it ended up too muddy. Bad paintjob tends grab attention at first, but usually I'd ignore it and appreciate brilliant sculpt more over time.

The baby is nice ;)

Old and new Stegosaurus have fairly similar poses, interestingly big Stegosaurus on pre order postcard is intermediate. I guess all three probably came from the same 3D modelling.

Big statue and PNSO's hidden shelves:
Spoiler

[close]

Miragaia: IMO their most graceful Stegosaur, its sunflower comb plates and bright colouration stands out in the crowd. Shame big scales hide most musculatures.

Miragaia mini: pre Miragaia project reconstructions. Bought one (accidentally cut the booklet) before deciding to get whole set, then one from the set has wrong booklet, ended up buying third one, tssk.

Tuojiangosaurus: hmm it gives me musk turtle vibe. Oversized scales and extra chunk are bad combo for musculature and structure... not saying dinosaurs can't be chunky, it's just I'd prefer not to sacrifice other aspects. It's the only PNSO stegosaur with proper eyes instead of two black dots.

Tuojiangosaurus mini: good mach with big one.

Chungkingosaurus from Yangchuanosaurus & Chungkingosaurus set : predator and prey walking "calmly" side by side looks weird methinks, so I display them separately.

Great tension in original resin set, shame it was lost in PVC version:
Spoiler
[close]

Chungkingosaurus mini: Nearly identical pose as big one, guess PNSO used same 3D model.

Small Huayangosaurus: too chunky and looks cartoonish. Scale is around 1:35 though.

Wuerhosaurus mini: it can stand on hindlegs, but then forelimbs look weird, better hide them behind something.

Allosaurus mini: one stands well for 2 years. The other bent to the front, left forelimb touches the ground and it stayed like that for 1.5 years.

Proceratosaurus mini: I have two, both of them bent and fell to right side after merely a few days in display.

SidB

Really appreciate these displays, as I have most, but display them in a diorama -type setting. good to see a different approach. I like the crispness and cleanness of your approach.

ceratopsian

I'm enjoying your detailed account very much.  I have most of the items you have, as I've followed PNSO from the beginning - but it's interesting to see someone else's display, and to be reminded of the PNSO originals.  I have some of the PNSO stamps - but not all of those you have illustrated.  I had no idea they did so many.  Nor did I know anything at all about the book The Dinosaurs Reborn.  Sadly not on Amazon or Aliexpress!

Faras

I'm busy for a few days as second wave of grand mid year sale is starting earlier than expected, will update this thread when I have more spare time.

S @SidB Thank you :) Diorama type display is attractive, I've always wanted it outside these cabinets if I had the space, putting figures in plants and dirt give so them so much life. Well with PNSO's release speed I'm quickly losing the luxury of displaying figures in their best angles...

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian That's really nice to hear, thank you :) The books have high print quality, pity these aren't globally available. Yup they released loads of books, postcards, sets with different combination of stamps in 2017, tbh it's pretty messy.

Halichoeres

Beautiful display! I've been trying to set something similar up in the guest room but haven't found anything quite to my liking.

That trilobite pick is delighful  :))
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Wow, about time you shared photos of your stunning collection!
I'm blown away by how beautiful your display is and just how amazing the PNSO collection all together, just stunning.!
I love that idea of displaying the marine animals... long ago I had something similar with my marine reptiles that was inspired by a comparison drawing I saw, unfortunately the display got so heavy it collapsed and I never put it back again! ;D

Faras

Added stegosaurs and new stamp book to previous post.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thank you! Yeah it's lovely piece, hope those metal shops do more prehistoric releases in the future :)

B @Bokisaurus Thank you thank you :) Need more sauropods to fill the space behind Allosaurus :p Hmm now that I think about it, glass or metal sticks might be better for hanging figures. I had a 30cm x 40cm x 8mm acrylic board as lid for turtle tank and it bent in a month :o

ceratopsian

I enjoyed seeing the shots of your new stamp book. How interesting that it's bilingual - but apparently never offered over here!  Good to see the rundown of the PNSO stegosaurs too. I always appreciate the fact that PNSO has attempted far more than just Stegosaurus itself. The large display statue must have been an impressive sight.  The medium-range Miragaia is such a graceful creature and occupies the front of my study shelf.  Even now in the half-light of evening, she stands out like a beacon when the others have faded into the gloom. And the Tuojianosaurus has far less space allocated to it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: