News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pliosaurking

Nice job on your first figure!

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Lynx @Lynx Thanks for your suggestion. I have repainted figures before and the details turned out to be still well visible for the most part but I'm still worried for this particular self-made figure. The tool impressions are a lot finer than on all my bought models and the material would require to first prime the figure before painting it (so the paint doesn't chip off the figure) and also sealing it after painting. I don't know if it I may be because I'm using fairly cheap acrylics but the paint has to be applied quite thickly to cover nicely. All this makes me think that I might lose a lot of my hard detail work through painting the figure but on the other hand I'd really like to do so... To summarize my essay: I'm torn.

avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking Thanks!

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on October 04, 2022, 11:27:05 PMMaybe try repainting a cheap trike model, and see if the detail is as clear as you'd like it to?
On this note, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , maybe you might want to switch paints to see if a different product will give you good coverage with a thinner application. After all the work that you've put into this piece, perhaps this would be a worthwhile approach.

TooOldForDinosaurs

You're right S @SidB . :)  I will probably try that, thank you both avatar_Lynx @Lynx ! Its probably worth to invest into some high quality paints if I wanna paint this. I'll have to do some research.

Bokisaurus

Looking very good! I can tell you are doing a lot of studying and taking your time in sculpting your model, that's good.
My biggest flaw was that I rushed too much🤣 that I didn't take the time to really study!

Yeah, I have a thread about my sculpting called "Boki's adventures in sculpting "
The journey took a little over a year!
Good luck, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

TooOldForDinosaurs

B @Bokisaurus Appreciate it, thanks!  ^-^ Cool, I'll go and check that out. The model will probably stay a bit like this for a while until I've found some better paint and did some testing. My free days are over so I'll have to see when I find some time again. This creative work takes up a whole afternoon or day very easily. But it will most probably be painted in the future and it will definitely get a custom base as well.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Here's a Ceratopsian group shot I took yesterday evening and I've also put all of the process into a video like I did with the Camarasaurus repaint  ^-^ :

Halichoeres

Looking good! On the topic of paints, are you using them straight out of the tube/bottle? I always thin mine with water when painting in three dimensions, so they're a lot less globby. If that works you don't have to buy new ones.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 06, 2022, 12:59:29 PMLooking good! On the topic of paints, are you using them straight out of the tube/bottle? I always thin mine with water when painting in three dimensions, so they're a lot less globby. If that works you don't have to buy new ones.
Thank you! Well, it varies. But they don't seem to thin out really well and lose a lot of opacity pretty fast and/or don't adhere well to the figure anymore... Maybe I'm just doing something wrong haha :)) (I primed my previous repaints just with a plain acrylic paint instead of a primer - maybe thats why I had to apply so thickly...? - I plan on using a primer this time anyway because this baked clay is very "slippery") But I'll take your advice and do some testing with the current paints first before I get new ones and experiment with those.

Halichoeres

Primer might be sufficient to get better adhesion and better opacity. I use gesso, which isn't really made for that purpose but seems to preserve detail really well--including 3d print lines ha ha.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Great, thanks for the tip! I'll have to check out if thats available here or else I'm sure I'll find something suitable.

TooOldForDinosaurs

New project started: Ouranosaurus

I really do still hope PNSO tackles this genus soon but while we wait for that to happen, why not try to make it myself? So far I've only done the wiring, maybe tomorrow I'll do the rough body shape with paperclay.

ceratopsian

It always seems strange to me that Ouranosaurus is not more popular with commercial firms. I look forward to seeing your take.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Update post:
I've decided to skip the use of paperclay this time because this body has not as much volume. I'll probably end up doing the tail today as well, maybe I'll even get to the head and neck. I don't know about that though. This is what I've got so far:

Bakey bakey

And

If anyone has a good reference picture for the head sculpt please leave it here. :D

TooOldForDinosaurs

Due to my wiring the Tail turned out a bit slopier than I intended.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Head sculpt done. 1 1/2 hours for this tiny thing:

SidB

Wonderful talent - you've got the juice!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Time for bed. Starting the limbs tomorrow. So far I'm happy with the sculpt.

Size comparison to PNSOs Iguanodon:

TooOldForDinosaurs

TooOldForDinosaurs

Phew... first leg done. That took me quite some time

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: