News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hynerpeton

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 23, 2014, 06:04:33 AM
Why don't you just do a google search?

Uh how do you google search that?  ::)
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess im lost about that wanting to see a shapeways from a buyers view, I just posed a whole herd of them...huh?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Daspletodave

Shapeways seems to be always ahead of the pack. Example - Nasutoceratops is available on Shapeways now. The plastic versions by Safari, Battat and Collecta won't be available until 2015.
Now if only someone on Shapeways would do the newly discovered Deinocheirus or Edmontosaurus with cox comb.

stargatedalek

I'd like some advice on which material to go with

I want the most durable possible, but I'm not entirely certain if WSF is in fact the strongest

tyrantqueen

WSF is strong enough for most people's needs. You intend to display it right? As long as you're not using it as a punching bag it will be okay. It has "flex" so it's not prone to snapping. Considering that WSF handles detail quite well, it's a good all round material to go with, especially for a beginner.

amargasaurus cazaui

WSF=white, strong and flexible. It is the only material I order . It is true they sell something stronger, if use one of the metal options perhaps. The other types of higher detail plastic are more brittle and more likely to snap and have less flex like TQ stated. I have dozens of models done in WSF and it works perfectly for my needs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

fabricious

I have a question about the materials and especially painting them as well! Would you guys say that the WSF and BSF materials could withstand a child playing with it? I would love to surprise a four year old with his own personal dinosaur, so I thought I'd create one, order it in WSF and maybe paint it in acrylics. Any suggestions on how to seal the color, though, to be suitable? Clear toy sealing lacquer, maybe?

amargasaurus cazaui

Depending on the sculpt and how narrow the tail and other parts might be , you could be asking for trouble. I myself would not attempt it...this plastic when dropped or banged hard has a tendancy to brittleness....it really is not made to be played with in the four year old sense.

fabricious

Fair enough, thanks! I never had either of the materials in hand, so I have to rely on your experiences with it. :)

Patrx

Something bulky and comparatively simple in WSF ought to be pretty tough. For example, David Krentz has a line of cartoony prehistoric models called "Chubbies" that're designed to be toys.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: fabricious on November 25, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
I have a question about the materials and especially painting them as well! Would you guys say that the WSF and BSF materials could withstand a child playing with it? I would love to surprise a four year old with his own personal dinosaur, so I thought I'd create one, order it in WSF and maybe paint it in acrylics. Any suggestions on how to seal the color, though, to be suitable? Clear toy sealing lacquer, maybe?
They're not toys in the first place, but regardless, I'd advise a matt varnish. The one I'm using at the moment is by Winsor and Newton.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 25, 2014, 05:09:05 PM
Quote from: fabricious on November 25, 2014, 08:32:11 AM
They're not toys in the first place, but regardless, I'd advise a matt varnish. The one I'm using at the moment is by Winsor and Newton.

Yeah, all the spindly bits on these models can snap super easy under the destructive strength a 4 year old has.  I'd be cool with getting a bulkier one like Krentz's chubbies, but if you're trying to do a realistic thing like my models? Those things won't have a chance.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Quen

I have a similar question about the strength of the WSF material. I don't intend the model to be a toy, but my family is full of the sort of adult that roughly handles other people's things without permission. How would you say the strength compares to that of Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, as those have surprisingly tolerated my family's mishandling quite well? And would a model (a sauropod, if that matters) in WSF material be able to withstand a drop onto carpet? Or, would both of those answers depend on the thickness and heaviness of the particular model (I haven't decided on a specific one, yet, in part for this reason)?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Quendrega on November 26, 2014, 12:04:27 AM
I have a similar question about the strength of the WSF material. I don't intend the model to be a toy, but my family is full of the sort of adult that roughly handles other people's things without permission. How would you say the strength compares to that of Kaiyodo Dinotales figures, as those have surprisingly tolerated my family's mishandling quite well? And would a model (a sauropod, if that matters) in WSF material be able to withstand a drop onto carpet? Or, would both of those answers depend on the thickness and heaviness of the particular model (I haven't decided on a specific one, yet, in part for this reason)?
Yes, I'd say it would, but only on a carpet. I'd be wary about dropping it onto a hard floor.

Quen

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 26, 2014, 05:57:42 AM
Quote from: Quendrega on November 26, 2014, 12:04:27 AM
And would a model (a sauropod, if that matters) in WSF material be able to withstand a drop onto carpet?
Yes, I'd say it would, but only on a carpet. I'd be wary about dropping it onto a hard floor.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to tolerate a hard floor drop. Good to know it'll be okay over carpet, though. Thanks for the info!

triceratops83

All right, first attempt to post a picture. No one's mentioned this so far, so here's the shapeways eofauna triceratops skeleton

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

...Can't.delete.message...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

shiftdel

Recently I bought some models from Shapeways, in WSF (no polished), the Parasaurolophus by gorgonzola, and the Stegosaurus by mb-cg.  This was the first time that I bought WSF without polishing, and my models came full of horribly visible print lines (some look more like trenches!!).

I think you can see at the pics below:

Is that normal with WSF, or I received defective models?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: