News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 25, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
I just got a crazy idea >:D

There are stores here in the UK offering to make printed versions of yourself. I was thinking how weird it would be to scale yourself down to a certain size and then display yourself (literally) with your collection. I think my mind just exploded from awesomeness.

AAAAAKK why does the UK get the cool things :P

I would love to have a Model of my self at a Toy model Scale. The only replica I have of my self is a model Baby that was made to look like me when I was, well, A BABY

fabricious

Hey guys, I hope it's alright if I post it in here as well. I have just recently finished my first 3D-model of a Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis and put it up on shapeways. If anyone wants to act as a guinea pig for it, just let me know (it's only in 1/72 for now, if the first prints work out, I'll put it up as 1/40), otherwise I'll be ordering a first print sometime soon (in about two or three weeks) to see how well they get printed.

PS.: I also have a thread dedicated to my (future) shapeways models, so I'll be posting updates there.

tyrantqueen

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/18119-new-pricing-for-strong-flexible-plastics-and-steel.html

This is excellent. This and the implementation of the "print it anyway" scheme has restored my faith in this company somewhat.

Now if they would just do the same for the frosted material >:D

stargatedalek

thats great to hear, I was considering a few models and I would prefer the more durable materials

Tyto_Theropod

Are the detail materials not very durable then? I would like something both durable and detailed, and paintable too ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on October 03, 2014, 07:26:11 PM
Are the detail materials not very durable then? I would like something both durable and detailed, and paintable too ;)
Compared to the WSF, they are brittle and can shatter easily. But, you can't have everything. WSF tends to be stronger due to its flexibility. I don't like the surface of WSF, but some people don't mind it. It's very coarse, like painting on fine sandpaper. But the detailing is inferior compared to the detail materials, obviously.

paleoferroequine

Don't get your hopes up too much. :(  Read the comments, many makers are complaining that their products might go up 2 times or more in price! Just have to wait and see.

tyrantqueen

I saw the comments. But I have not had such problems with the models I'm printing myself. They've all gone down.

mb-cg

It seems that the new prices are for Strong & Flexible Plastics and Steels. Now Shapeways considers the cm3 of material and the total volume of the object, so solid objects will get lower prices and most of the thin/hollowed models will increase the price. In my case there are only a few models that have lowered the price, 16 of 88, and the increases are a lot bigger (WSF material). In my opinion Shapeways should have said that they will change the pricing because they are losing money with thin or hollowed models.

stargatedalek

well I guess theres not much point in buying hollowed models at the moment :/

mb-cg

Well, hollowed models are and will be cheaper than solid ones, so that's not a problem. I was only talking about how the prices will change with the new pricing method. To be more precise, models that take up a big volume (the bounding box of the model, not the cm3 of material) but have a lot of free space in that volume would be more expensive. For example, a model of a tree would take up a volume but there will be a lot of free space because the branches are usually very thin. And that's similar to the dinosaurs case, because due to the tail there is a lot of free space in the bounding box of the model.

Gorgonzola

It's a bit of a pain for sure.  I just looked over at my models, it's pretty much all over the place.  Most of it is a price change of 20-70 cents, but there's some standouts.  Some of my models like some of the Cryolophosaurus are going up in price by that amount, while others are dropping down.  The worst offenders are the 1/40 Paras, which are jumping a solid 10 bucks in the WSF material  :o

On the flip side, I noticed that the pieces for the 1/20 Amargasaurus are apparently dropping by 20-30 bucks each for some reason, soooo that's cool, I guess?  I never made that one publicly available, but that could certainly be a push to do so.

Also the Allosaurus I did for Chris will apparently drop in price in WSF, so that's pretty cool. Looks like it'll drop considerably, like 5-10 bucks thereabouts?
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Aaron Doyle

Just updated the prices in my store to reflect the changes.  Most of my models have come down in price (in some cases drastically) a few went up but none are significantly more expensive.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Seems like our Allosaurus went down in price quite a bit : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/BackyardTerrors

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 08, 2014, 07:49:15 AM
Seems like our Allosaurus went down in price quite a bit : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/BackyardTerrors

Nice!  I had no idea you were doing shapeways items now.  I'll have to pick this up some time.  It's far better than any of the mass produced Allosaurus models I've seen.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: Aaron Doyle on October 08, 2014, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 08, 2014, 07:49:15 AM

Nice!  I had no idea you were doing shapeways items now.  I'll have to pick this up some time.  It's far better than any of the mass produced Allosaurus models I've seen.

Yeah! Chris, I was surprised when I saw the price for the model on my list - that's great that it dropped in price, I really enjoyed making it so the more people that can get it the better.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

tyrantqueen

I've had this problem with a couple of the frosted prints. They would be sticky and would yellow over time. I did some research and according to Shapeways.com, it is leftover wax. Also, this wax would cause adhesion problems with paint/primer.

So, I decided to test one of my models by putting it in a industrial degreaser.

Here is the model when it first arrived (before it had yellowed considerably). You can see the surface is quite glossy/greasy.

I put it in a plastic container and left it there for about two days or so. When I looked at it again, the liquid had turned a disgusting yellow colour (it was clear before)

Here it is out of the bath, after all the liquid had drained from inside.

The yellow is still there, so I might give it another soak. It may be permanently stained, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to paint over it anyway :) Anyway, the surface is much improved, and is no longer sticky/greasy. Mission was successful >:D

Oh, and it cleaned the spoon pretty well also..but never mind that ;)

reinier zwanink

Yes you really need to have is hardened out completly
I had that problem in the past with resin to
It can really ruin your model

Hynerpeton

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 22, 2014, 02:51:37 AM
I've had this problem with a couple of the frosted prints. They would be sticky and would yellow over time. I did some research and according to Shapeways.com, it is leftover wax. Also, this wax would cause adhesion problems with paint/primer.

So, I decided to test one of my models by putting it in a industrial degreaser.

Here is the model when it first arrived (before it had yellowed considerably). You can see the surface is quite glossy/greasy.

I put it in a plastic container and left it there for about two days or so. When I looked at it again, the liquid had turned a disgusting yellow colour (it was clear before)

Here it is out of the bath, after all the liquid had drained from inside.

The yellow is still there, so I might give it another soak. It may be permanently stained, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to paint over it anyway :) Anyway, the surface is much improved, and is no longer sticky/greasy. Mission was successful >:D

Oh, and it cleaned the spoon pretty well also..but never mind that ;)

I was wondering what a shape ways model looks like from a buyer. Now know. Thanks :)
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

tyrantqueen

Why don't you just do a google search?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: