News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I'm happy to say that Aaron Doyle restored the FD and FUD options to some of his models (most notably the Anzu, which was the one I wanted to buy)

Thanks a bunch :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: shiftdel on July 12, 2014, 01:35:58 PM

Detail of the Mammuth and Eremotherium:

Now, I just need to get some time to paint them, and all the other dinos on my collection...

Who are those by? Also, did you say Arctodus ;D?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

QuoteWho are those by?
I think he said it was by a guy named Dinoraul. I have not seen his work on Shapeways, but I do know of a guy who goes by the same moniker who makes 3D models: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=Dinoraul

They may be the same individual.

Yutyrannus

Hmm...yeah that could be him.

shiftdel

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 19, 2014, 11:39:55 PM
Who are those by? Also, did you say Arctodus ;D?

As Tyrantqueen as said, these models were made by Dinoraul, he do not have his work on Shapeways, he use to release his 3d models of prehistoric animals, plants and fantastic creatures on Renderosity mostly.

I bought a lot of his models, and had the idea to print some of them.  I asked his permission to print some, which I prepared myself to 3d print (as they are not originally made to), the hardest part is to put holes inside them, to save material.

Arctodus is the prehistoric short faced bear, it is on this pic (is the small one, close to the Allosaurus tail:

Yutyrannus

I know what Arctodus is, it is one of my favorite prehistoric creatures  :). I just didn't think anyone made figures of it.

shiftdel

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 21, 2014, 01:06:36 AM
I know what Arctodus is, it is one of my favorite prehistoric creatures  :). I just didn't think anyone made figures of it.

Oh, sorry for that, not meant to offend you ;)

The good thing about Dinoraul´s models is that he choose some different subjects, as Arctodus, Eremotherium, and even some obscure dinos.  Other thing is that they have some predefined poses (they are for Poser or DAZ3D, so each have a set of poses, and you can made others by yourself)... I was thinking about to print a herd of one of his models,  but gorgonzola´s Parasaurolophus saved me that trouble ;)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: shiftdel on July 21, 2014, 01:27:34 AM

The good thing about Dinoraul´s models is that he choose some different subjects, as Arctodus, Eremotherium, and even some obscure dinos.  Other thing is that they have some predefined poses (they are for Poser or DAZ3D, so each have a set of poses, and you can made others by yourself)... I was thinking about to print a herd of one of his models,  but gorgonzola´s Parasaurolophus saved me that trouble ;)
Oh, no you didn't offend me.

That sound cool. I may try and get some.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: shiftdel on July 21, 2014, 01:27:34 AM

Ah hah, that's interesting. How did you get them printed? Would you be able to help me out with getting some? I'm kinda interested in some of the obscure species.

shiftdel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 21, 2014, 01:35:51 AM
Ah hah, that's interesting. How did you get them printed? Would you be able to help me out with getting some? I'm kinda interested in some of the obscure species.

I used netfabb Studio to clean them to be printed.  It is pretty easy to do and free.  On Shapeways site there is a tutorial: https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_netfabb (meshlab is not totally necessary, netfabb can open .obj models).

The main problem is to insert holes to save money (otherwise they will be expensive), you need to do that in one 3D modeling program, I use Metasequoia, which is easy and free, but it is hard to have the correct wall thickness and other requirements, specially in 1:72 scale!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: shiftdel on July 21, 2014, 01:43:13 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 21, 2014, 01:35:51 AM

I used netfabb Studio to clean them to be printed.  It is pretty easy to do and free.  On Shapeways site there is a tutorial: https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_netfabb (meshlab is not totally necessary, netfabb can open .obj models).

The main problem is to insert holes to save money (otherwise they will be expensive), you need to do that in one 3D modeling program, I use Metasequoia, which is easy and free, but it is hard to have the correct wall thickness and other requirements, specially in 1:72 scale!
I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the help and the inspiration :)

Skulexander

I just got a Cryolophosaurus from gorgonzola in the mail. First shapeways model. I didn't expect it to be so light and fragile! I actually accidentally broke a toe off but was able to super glue it back on somehow, even though it's so tiny. Don't think I did a bad job either. It's a really cool figure. What do you guys use as stands? Also, what's the best material for display and not painting it? I also want to get every version of the Cryolophosaurus so I can have a whole pack of them. Might even eventually buy another of the standing one so I can have one without the toe broken. Oh well. Just gonna imagine that this one's toe was injured and healed wrong.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Skulexander on August 24, 2014, 02:41:41 AM
I just got a Cryolophosaurus from gorgonzola in the mail. First shapeways model. I didn't expect it to be so light and fragile! I actually accidentally broke a toe off but was able to super glue it back on somehow, even though it's so tiny. Don't think I did a bad job either. It's a really cool figure. What do you guys use as stands? Also, what's the best material for display and not painting it? I also want to get every version of the Cryolophosaurus so I can have a whole pack of them. Might even eventually buy another of the standing one so I can have one without the toe broken. Oh well. Just gonna imagine that this one's toe was injured and healed wrong.
WSF polished is a good display material. I made my own stands using a popsicle stick and epoxy putty.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: Skulexander on August 24, 2014, 02:41:41 AM

Glad you like it! It is a very light model, I have a prototype from before I beefed up the fingers and toes and they are SUPER delicate. Most of the time when I make bases I use a rough plaster that's used for molding mountains and terrain for train displays, but as I typically paint and gussy it up with foliage and stuff it's not applicable to what your needs are currently if you're just looking for a simple display. TQ's suggestion is pretty good though, really anything that provides a stable base - you could buy some hex bases that are used for tabletop wargame miniatures and do a similar base, and even add some really basic flocking and foliage too, if that's your bag.

Skulexander

That actually gave me an idea. I play a lot of D&D. I could get some tabletop miniature bases, put the dinos on them, write up some stats for them, and use them as monsters! Like, spectral dire cryolophosauruses or something like that.

SBell

Quote from: Skulexander on September 14, 2014, 03:15:19 PM
That actually gave me an idea. I play a lot of D&D. I could get some tabletop miniature bases, put the dinos on them, write up some stats for them, and use them as monsters! Like, spectral dire cryolophosauruses or something like that.

I DM'd once and toally wen through the toy bins and my collection to broaden things out--and other DM's also did that. It's fun to go beyond 'just' D&D monsters! ;)

Didn't bother with bases, etc though.

postsaurischian

Nebuloid

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 24, 2014, 09:38:03 AM
A Triceratops skeleton by EoFauna: http://www.shapeways.com/designer/EoFauna?li=pb

Wow ! That 1:20 version looks really tempting, except for the price... ::)

tyrantqueen

I just got a crazy idea >:D

There are stores here in the UK offering to make printed versions of yourself. I was thinking how weird it would be to scale yourself down to a certain size and then display yourself (literally) with your collection. I think my mind just exploded from awesomeness.

fabricious

That is actually a pretty good idea, TQ! :D I like that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: