News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: NikToo on June 02, 2015, 09:39:56 AM
Thanks, might get the T-Rex then. Can you give them a slight sandpapering to cut down on the grainyness? And it's for painting and displaying, not playing. :)
Actually I don't buy WSF for detailed models any more, usually I choose one of the Detail options. But there are some things you can do to help with the graininess.

Sanding might help. I personally don't sand my dinosaur models because it's so easy to remove surface detail. It's best to start with a rough grit and work your way up to smoother ones. For example,  320, 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grits in that order.

I like to use a primer (Vallejo surface primer for instance) which helps smooth the surface down. You will find that the surface has a "tooth", and it will take a couple of layer before the tooth is filled in. Then the surface gets much smoother.

You could also use some kind of filler over the surface to improve smoothness, for example using thinned down putty or model filler. I haven't tried this option so I can't really offer much advice there.

NikToo

Thanks. The T-Rex doesn't have any other option other than WSF, which is a bit unfortunate.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: NikToo on June 02, 2015, 10:18:57 PM
Thanks. The T-Rex doesn't have any other option other than WSF, which is a bit unfortunate.
Which model is it? You can also try emailing the artist. They might make other material options available if you request it. If it's printable then I think the artists would be more than happy to help you.

Due to the recent frosted detail material being retired and replaced, many materials have disappeared from model listings. I'm not sure why but I think it's something to do with price restructuring.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: NikToo on June 03, 2015, 10:24:59 AM
I was thinking of this one: http://www.shapeways.com/product/3YEVVD6L9/tyrannosaurus-rex-sue-1-40?li=user-profile&optionId=41537444

Although this might be an option, although slightly smaller: http://www.shapeways.com/product/NNNDVCRNN/tyrannosaurus-rex-t-rex-dinosaur-miniature?li=shop-results&optionId=20792048
That first one is Manuel Bejarano's Tyrannosaurus. He is a member here too, but hasn't been online much lately, probably due to workload. You could PM him on the forum or leave a comment on the item listing. He would probably add some more materials for you :)

terrorchicken

hello everyone, I just discovered the wonderful (albeit pricey) world of 3d printed prehistoric animal figures. Ive seen the ones available on Shapeways, but anyone know if there are other places that sell these types of things? there's a seller on ebay named  tams7prairie who is also selling some very nice looking ones. I am especially interested in prehistoric mammals/birds to complement my safari/schleich/collecta/bullyland pre-mammals.

my other question is can they be displayed as is, unpolished/unpainted. How do they look? I dont think Id have the time to paint them.

Ramose

Has anyone ever bought GNmodels Allosaurus?  Looking at the webpage it looks like it might not stand well but I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience. 

SBell

Quote from: terrorchicken on June 22, 2015, 11:04:58 PM
hello everyone, I just discovered the wonderful (albeit pricey) world of 3d printed prehistoric animal figures. Ive seen the ones available on Shapeways, but anyone know if there are other places that sell these types of things? there's a seller on ebay named  tams7prairie who is also selling some very nice looking ones. I am especially interested in prehistoric mammals/birds to complement my safari/schleich/collecta/bullyland pre-mammals.

my other question is can they be displayed as is, unpolished/unpainted. How do they look? I dont think Id have the time to paint them.

I have lots from several different makers, and I haven't painted any of them, nor do I intend to (mostly because I am not much of a painter). But I like how they look unpainted; I did purchase some in different colours other than white, though, to break up the monotony.

pascosaur

Quote from: Ramose on June 25, 2015, 02:14:42 PM
Has anyone ever bought GNmodels Allosaurus?  Looking at the webpage it looks like it might not stand well but I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience.

yes I have. It's a wonderful figure but it can't stand on its own.

Ramose

Quote from: pascosaur on June 26, 2015, 03:55:14 PM
Quote from: Ramose on June 25, 2015, 02:14:42 PM

yes I have. It's a wonderful figure but it can't stand on its own.

Good to know. Thanks!

terrorchicken

Quote from: SBell on June 25, 2015, 05:12:26 PM

I have lots from several different makers, and I haven't painted any of them, nor do I intend to (mostly because I am not much of a painter). But I like how they look unpainted; I did purchase some in different colours other than white, though, to break up the monotony.

nice, Id like some in earth tones(brown, gray, tan etc) but most of the other colors available on Shapeways(other than black/white) are a bit loud(cheeto orange, neon pink?)  :o

anyone know if those amphibians/fish on the first few pages of this thread are still available anywhere?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: terrorchicken on June 26, 2015, 10:50:10 PM
Quote from: SBell on June 25, 2015, 05:12:26 PM

nice, Id like some in earth tones(brown, gray, tan etc) but most of the other colors available on Shapeways(other than black/white) are a bit loud(cheeto orange, neon pink?)  :o

anyone know if those amphibians/fish on the first few pages of this thread are still available anywhere?
You mean the ones by razh00? You can still purchase them as far as I know. The shop is here:

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/razh00?li=pb

terrorchicken

oh thanks for the link, these are so neat!

pylraster

I want to try shapeways, but I'm concerned about their durability. I don't want parts breaking off during shipping.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: pylraster on June 30, 2015, 09:21:14 PM
I want to try shapeways, but I'm concerned about their durability. I don't want parts breaking off during shipping.
My experience has been more with pieces breaking off during printing process than shipping as much...while Shapeways tends to like excusing their mistakes in printing and failure to detect said errors by stating it was during shipping . The simple fact is in the cases where it was explained as a shipping breakage , for my pieces , the missing or broken areas were never inside the box.....I even had Shapeways print a model that broke quite badly in a few places, and they refused to redo it, instead sending it and giving me a coupon for ten percent off my next order, despite the model having cost me over fifty dollars.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I have had very few issues, maybe one or two in the four plus years I've been ordering from them. Not meaning to sound arrogant, but if you have ever checked my collection thread you can see I have/had a big collection of Shapeways prints, so I feel like I can speak with some authority on this subject. And I have always been refunded for broken models.

That's my personal experience, take it for what it's worth. 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 30, 2015, 11:14:34 PM
I have had very few issues, maybe one or two in the four plus years I've been ordering from them. Not meaning to sound arrogant, but if you have ever checked my collection thread you can see I have/had a big collection of Shapeways prints, so I feel like I can speak with some authority on this subject. And I have always been refunded for broken models.

That's my personal experience, take it for what it's worth.
I have to also agree with what she just said..other than my first order which I mentioned and which they mucked up rather terribly I have always been taken care of for issues since. I generally am not refunded when a model is broken but they do reprint it and send it directly to me free of charge.I have seen big strides in how they handle these issues, personally
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

paleoferroequine

I'll have to agree with the others. I have 58 prehistoric critters and about a dozen model train creations and none of them were broken. My first train body was malformed with vinyl powder solidified on the surface covering the detail. I took pictures and got a reprint from them. I also had one critter that had some 1/4" holes where it didn't print but I filled them with epoxy putty. That's it.

Silvanusaurus

I'm very interested in ordering some shapeways models, but I was hoping someone could clarify for me; if for example you order several models, each from a different artist, are they all printed/delivered as one order from the same place, with combined postage?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 03, 2015, 11:26:15 AM
I'm very interested in ordering some shapeways models, but I was hoping someone could clarify for me; if for example you order several models, each from a different artist, are they all printed/delivered as one order from the same place, with combined postage?
Yes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: