News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitamin-Imagination

Dinosaur model's skin and detail.

I have prepared my Xenoceratops, Triceratops, Medusaceratops and Regaliceratops to illustrate this topic.
(If you want to know more about this product, please click on the link. It is not the purpose of publicity. It is just for sharing basic information on this topic.)
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jinkyeom

1.Overall, the powders are still inside and appear to be dirty.
So the powder was attached to the skin...

2.Skin and detail
The overall skin description was very well expressed.
But there is a part that is not satisfactory.
The sharp part of the dinosaur horn was made dull.
(It's still sharper than the color material.^^)

In addition, the ability to describe the skin of the FUD material appears to be slightly better than the WSF material.

Finally, I show you the pose and finish this post.

Next topic...
(Biger...Biger....BigBigBigBigBig...er!!!!)

Fenestra

They turned out pretty good.
I  think the horns look good the way they are.
Thanks for showing!

Vitamin-Imagination

The subject of this post is the detail according to output size.
To compare the details according to size, we have prepared the following models.

1.Spinosaurus concept.03 - Medium size ('Spi1')(22cm)
2.Spinosaurus concept.03 - Large size('Spi2')(More than 30cm)
3.Spinosaurus Front + Back .part - Total 70cm/1:20('Spi3')

Size
Compare the size of each model, as shown in the picture.

Skin of the head
Spi1-Spi2-Spi3
The size should be over 30 centimeters to reveal detailed skin.
(Certainly Spi3's skin is perfect ...^^)

Skin of the sail
Spi1-Spi2-Spi3
The size of Spi1 is completely skipped the delicate skin...
(I'm a little disappointed...)
The model is about 30cm in some degree is expressed delicacy.^^

Teeth
Spi1-Spi2-Spi3
The shape of the teeth is expected to be sharp when clearly over 30 cm. If you look at B, you can see that it is a little rounded.

Skin of the abdomen
Spi1-Spi2-Spi3
The size of Spi1 is completely skipped the delicate skin...
Still, from the size of the Spi2 model, you can see the delicacy.^^

Skin of legs
Spi1-Spi2-Spi3
The results are similar to the skin of the abdomen.
Also, you can see that the skin of Spi3 is perfect.^^

Finally, I show you the diorama of Spi3 and finish this post.

Next topic...
If you have several models in a single file?

Vitamin-Imagination

What if I update multiple parts to one file?

There are dinosaurs with several models in one product. If you evaluate based on my experience, it is better to divide each model into one product.
This is because there is a capacity limitation for updating one product.

So if you have multiple models in a file, the capacity will increase and the quality of each model will be lower...
For my chess, each model is less realistic than rendering.

So in my case, I've updated both the dinosaur chess set and each of the dinosaur chess.
If you are looking for convenience when buying, please purchase a set. If not, I recommend purchasing each product. ;D ;D

next topic...

What if I print the model in color?

MIXVS MINIMAX

@Vitamin-Imagination: It would be better if You sort the models by scale. A medium/large/small size says nothing.
For example in Your Ceratopia-collection every dino has the same size. A protoceratops is big as a Styracosaurus? I thought about to order it, but as I saw that the size can't be compared to each other, I left it.

MIXVS MINIMAX

Hello,

Today I got my first Shapeway-dinosaurs (Giganotosaurus (Krentz, WSF), Europasaurus (GN Models, WSF) and Amargasaurus (Andrew Sides, UFD).
My conclusion is, that I will keep sculpting dinosaurs in 1/72 with Milliput. The details are far more better doing them by hand, than get them printed.

In 1/72 the quality of Ultra frosted Detail (UFD) is good to very good. But there are only a few models avaiable and the price is mostly far to high to be affordable. 

The quality of White Strong flexible in 1/72 did not satisfied me at all. I thought: WTF, that's WSF? It looks very interesting on the 3D-image, but the printed results are crap. Europasaurus head has only the rough shape of a brachiosaurid head. No eyes, no skull window, no nostrils, no lips at all. The quality of Giganotosaurus is not good, but I can live with it.

bye, Alex

Vitamin-Imagination

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on March 16, 2017, 09:47:11 PM
Hello,

Today I got my first Shapeway-dinosaurs (Giganotosaurus (Krentz, WSF), Europasaurus (GN Models, WSF) and Amargasaurus (Andrew Sides, UFD).
My conclusion is, that I will keep sculpting dinosaurs in 1/72 with Milliput. The details are far more better doing them by hand, than get them printed.

In 1/72 the quality of Ultra frosted Detail (UFD) is good to very good. But there are only a few models avaiable and the price is mostly far to high to be affordable. 

The quality of White Strong flexible in 1/72 did not satisfied me at all. I thought: WTF, that's WSF? It looks very interesting on the 3D-image, but the printed results are crap. Europasaurus head has only the rough shape of a brachiosaurid head. No eyes, no skull window, no nostrils, no lips at all. The quality of Giganotosaurus is not good, but I can live with it.

bye, Alex

I agree with most of you.
So if I give you a tip, it's a good idea to buy the product that uploaded the actual output photo of the item.^^
It is recommended that you check the date of the last update of the product.
Shapeways are always looking to update their skills.
So past dinosaur are likely to consist of lower polygons than the current dinosaur. :'( :'(
And you should always consider the quality of a dinosaur bigger than a small dinosaur. (The problem is that the price is expensive ...)
I also printed a lot of things this time. In conclusion, I do not recommend buying a small dinosaur. :) :)

fabricious

Wasn't that 1/20 scale Spinosaurus extremely expensive?

Fenestra

I've recently bought 3 Cryolophosaurus on Shapeways from seller "Dinosaurs and Other Things" (aka Gorgonzola.)
They are in 1/40 scale and printed in WSF.
The prints are good for that scale IMO; sharp claws, enough detail to make out eyes and teeth and there is skin detail.
The poses of all three are wonderful and I thought the price for the figures was fair.
And Shapeways sure pack their items very well.
I'm a happy customer.

Blank figures:

Painted figures by me:

Vitamin-Imagination

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on March 16, 2017, 09:43:44 PM
@Vitamin-Imagination: It would be better if You sort the models by scale. A medium/large/small size says nothing.
For example in Your Ceratopia-collection every dino has the same size. A protoceratops is big as a Styracosaurus? I thought about to order it, but as I saw that the size can't be compared to each other, I left it.

I usually make custom sizes for each customer.
So if my customer does not have the desired size, I receive the request from the customer and deliver the dinosaur of the desired size to the customer.^^

Vitamin-Imagination

Quote from: fabricious on April 17, 2017, 08:22:58 AM
Wasn't that 1/20 scale Spinosaurus extremely expensive?
It is my product, but I agree with you. :'( :'(
Actually I set my revenue for that model very low. Because the original price was expensive.
I think this problem is the limit of 3d printing service. :'( :'(

Vitamin-Imagination

Quote from: Fenestra on April 20, 2017, 09:29:12 PM
I've recently bought 3 Cryolophosaurus on Shapeways from seller "Dinosaurs and Other Things" (aka Gorgonzola.)
The prints are good for that scale IMO; sharp claws, enough detail to make out eyes and teeth and there is skin detail.
The poses of all three are wonderful and I thought the price for the figures was fair.
I'm a happy customer.

I think painting has become really cool!!! ;D ;D

fabricious

Hey folks,

I have recently redone my shapeways store and uploaded two new models, Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis (redone) and Rhomaleosaurus thorntoni, in both 1/72 and 1/40 scale for anyone to enjoy!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NBGEBEKZV/pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-72?optionId=62399563

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NTPNH384S/rhomaleosaurus-thorntoni-1-72?optionId=62445702

Best regards,
Fabrizio

AcroSauroTaurus

Painted figures by me:

I really like the colors and patterns on them. Would you mind if I used your colors/pattern for when I make a Cryolophosaurus for my figure line?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I'm a happy customer.

Painted figures by me:

If I ever got these, I get 2, the standing one and the laying one. I would paint the standing one in the color of the big male from Dinosaur Revolution, and the laying one, the smaller male.

Fenestra

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on April 27, 2017, 09:24:57 AM
Painted figures by me:

I really like the colors and patterns on them. Would you mind if I used your colors/pattern for when I make a Cryolophosaurus for my figure line?

Sure, go ahead. I'm glad you like them.  :)

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 27, 2017, 12:22:47 PM
If I ever got these, I get 2, the standing one and the laying one. I would paint the standing one in the color of the big male from Dinosaur Revolution, and the laying one, the smaller male.

There are more poses available on Shapeways then just these 3.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: fabricious on April 27, 2017, 08:28:26 AM
Hey folks,

I have recently redone my shapeways store and uploaded two new models, Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis (redone) and Rhomaleosaurus thorntoni, in both 1/72 and 1/40 scale for anyone to enjoy!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NBGEBEKZV/pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-72?optionId=62399563

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NTPNH384S/rhomaleosaurus-thorntoni-1-72?optionId=62445702

Best regards,
Fabrizio

It's entirely up to you as the shop owner, but I'd love to see you bring back a feathered Albertosaurus at some point. As the proud owner of a possible Albertosaurus tooth I'd definitely be interested in up-to-date figures of that lovely Tyrannosaurid and I may well be interested in a small FUD print. ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

MIXVS MINIMAX

@fenestra: Thats a very nice colour variation. I like it. I bought the sitting Cryolophosaurus in 1/72 and now I really think about to paint it in a similar way.

Fenestra

Quote from: MIXVS MINIMAX on May 21, 2017, 01:00:46 AM
@fenestra: Thats a very nice colour variation. I like it. I bought the sitting Cryolophosaurus in 1/72 and now I really think about to paint it in a similar way.

Well, thank you.  ;D
I really wanted to give the Cryolophosaurus that "fuzzy" look, but the models themselves don't have any of that texture.
I thought this paint up was a nice way to pretend they do have fluff.
Have fun painting yours!

paintingdinos

Thanks to everyone who posts their stuff here... I recently discovered shapeways, and this thread was a huge help in deciding which models to try first. Figured I'd share my experiences here too in case it helps someone in the future.

Like many people, the Cryos by gorgonzola were too good to resist. I also picked up the little raptor set by Krentz. All were in FUD, and all of them look amazing:

The Cryos have been posted a lot, but I haven't really seen the raptors anywhere else. For how tiny they are, they pack a decent amount of detail! I've played a bit fast and loose with washing/painting them... they're tiny and very brittle, and scrubbing gently with a toothbrush managed to snap one off his base (not a huge deal, glued back together fine). I elected to just soak them for a bit in simple green, paint on several layers of primer and go from there. Turned out ok, but we'll see what happens long term.

The Cryolophosaurus pair are just too good not to spoil, so I'm working on a scenic base for them before I paint:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: