News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shapeways

Started by tyrantqueen, December 01, 2012, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Hehe, blue jay raptor.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

paintingdinos

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 30, 2017, 12:09:36 AM
Hehe, blue jay raptor.

Backyard Birding (paleontological edition):

Left to right: Kingfisher, Blue Jay, Cardinal (female), Black-Capped Chickadee

fabricious

I just uploaded my life sized Aquilops americanus skull (only the cranium) to shapeways, the mandible is soon to follow!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2MZ4N2ZE3/aquilops-americanus-1-1-cranium

Best regards,
Fabrizio

Papi-Anon

GNmodel Dinosaurs just released an articulated 1:48 scale T-Rex kit on Shapeways. Swivel legs, arms, hinge neck and hinge jaws. I just talked with him and he's going to do an articulated version of his Inostrancevia figure too.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7XTXQSGYY/dinosaur-t-rex-toy-1-48-scale
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

spinosaurus1

just received my first figure from shapeways. the 1:40th scale baryonyx is gorgeous.

PumperKrickel

deleted

spinosaurus1

it's actually the 1:35th scale version. my bad

the only thing that bugs me are the undefined teeth

PumperKrickel

deleted

spinosaurus1

the model is only available in black and white strong and flexible plastic. i do plan on painting this model :)
heres a link to it

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9L5KCDG38/baryonyx-1-35?optionId=15676496

Gorgonzola

I just popped back randomly on here to see what cool models are being uploaded to Shapeways nowadays - loads of neat stuff!  So happy to see my cryolophosaurus models are still getting love, those seem to be a perennial favorite out of all of my models I've done.  Krentz's and Rarebreed's raptors are really outstanding, I might pick up Rarebreed's models of that sometime soon.

Still wish the pricing on shapeways was a bit better though - it's more or less what drove me to stop making new models for now, the base cost alone forces you out of any reasonable markup on the backend, so consumers are paying mostly Shapeways costs with a fraction going to the producer.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Gorgonzola on July 05, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
I just popped back randomly on here to see what cool models are being uploaded to Shapeways nowadays - loads of neat stuff!  So happy to see my cryolophosaurus models are still getting love, those seem to be a perennial favorite out of all of my models I've done.  Krentz's and Rarebreed's raptors are really outstanding, I might pick up Rarebreed's models of that sometime soon.

Still wish the pricing on shapeways was a bit better though - it's more or less what drove me to stop making new models for now, the base cost alone forces you out of any reasonable markup on the backend, so consumers are paying mostly Shapeways costs with a fraction going to the producer.

Thank you for sharing that. I always thought Shapeways were unreasonably expensive, and that just confirms that most of it goes to them and that the actual artists aren't profiteering. I think in a free market environment competitors will offer lower prices, especially with the growing prevalence of (high quality) 3-D printing technology.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

fabricious

Finished Ichthyovenator laosensis in both 1/40 and 1/35 scale!

http://shpws.me/OK2q

http://shpws.me/OK31

Gorgonzola

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 05, 2017, 10:48:21 PM
Thank you for sharing that. I always thought Shapeways were unreasonably expensive, and that just confirms that most of it goes to them and that the actual artists aren't profiteering. I think in a free market environment competitors will offer lower prices, especially with the growing prevalence of (high quality) 3-D printing technology.

Right, because I don't think it's discussed enough/at all, I'll lay it out plainly - Here's one example of how the pricing is set up right now: My 1/40 standing Cryolophosaurus costs 30 bucks to produce, and on top of that I add a $4.57 markup to it, bringing it to about a 15% markup on the production price. 

On average, most retail items are marked up 50%, so if we were to follow that I'd be adding about 15 dollars to a 30 dollar to produce model making it cost about 45 total, at which point it's a flipping insane price point (to me at least.)  For 45 dollars you typically can get a larger dinosaur model IN RESIN with sharper detail.  I think it's unreasonable to pay that much for a product that is ultimately out of my control once it's on the shop (because we're also dealing with not knowing the print quality beforehand and test prints and iterative improvements are too costly to test.)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Quen

This has probably been asked before, but has anyone else received a figure that's still full of plastic powder/dust? It's made of the white natural versatile plastic. The powder keeps coming out of the hole used to reduce weight. It's more of an annoyance than anything else; it looks like my dinosaur is puking snow every time it's touched. I think I've managed to get a good bit of it out, though. Just wondering how common this is, as this is only my second shapeways figure.

ITdactyl

Good question.

I didn't notice dust coming off the belly holes but they all did have a powdery coat out of the box.  I just immediately soaked them in soapy water and used a "retired" paintbrush to clean the surface (I used a cheap faux-squirrel brush; didn't risk using a toothbrush as I didn't know then how sturdy the shapeways figures are/were)

The other members here who've kept their figures unpainted can probably give more insight.  I immediately primed my figures 24 hours after the initial bath.

Remko

I've been collecting Shapeways dinosaurs for a while now, focusing mainly on 1/35th and 1/40th figures, as well as two app. 1/6th scale pterosaurs (Dsungaripterus and Pterodaustro).

So far my collection counts about 40 different figures, including all the Cryolophosaurus figures. With many more on my whishlist.  O:-)
Don't want to know the combined costs for them though...  :-X ;D

Anyway, what is the best way to paint these figures? All are in the White Strong Plastic material.

I've already read that you need a lot of primer, because the base material soaks up the paint like a sponge. Will plastic primer and acrylic paint do the job?

ITdactyl

don't have pix to show you, but i have tried painting the flexible plastic material both with and w/o primer.  i'm happy with the results either way.

That said, a primed surface helps in several ways:
- hides some of the excessive grainy texture
- made blending easier

the rough surface of the material hurt my natural sable brushes a lot - a lesson i had to learn the hard way. Also can't speak for airbrush users as i don't own one. and you're right, the WSF material soaks the paint a lot, had to use 2 light coats of primer just to cover all the white that kept poking (after the 1st coat).

Shonisaurus

The baryonyx of Shapeways is fabulous, it is a very well made figure. It is also flexible plastic! That is much more interesting to me.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 05, 2019, 08:47:29 PM
The baryonyx of Shapeways is fabulous, it is a very well made figure. It is also flexible plastic! That is much more interesting to me.

It's called "flexible," but it is definitely not as pliable and robust as PVC or other plastics commonly used for toys. I think you would find them unacceptably fragile, given your tastes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: