You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HIYA TOYS Godzilla vs. Kong / MONSTERVERSE & TOHO CLASSIC Articulated Figure Line (Image-Heavy OP)

Started by GojiraGuy1954, September 27, 2022, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 18, 2023, 11:46:04 PMThe 2019 KOTM figure also has improved neck articulation over the 2021 GvsK version; I think a few other sculpting & articulation details were subtley improved on as well.

2014 vs 2019 will be a much more noticeable difference in design. Compared to 2014, the 2019 design has a more robust chest, larger classic-looking dorsal spines, a blunter tail, longer & sharper toes, and possibly a shorter, smaller neck/head.
avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, Faelrin and I were referring to the updated version of the GvK figure, not the original, so both the updated GvK and 2019  have that improvement in neck articulation as they are the same mold.

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Thanks for sharing that review. I think I prefer the slightly greener tone of the GvsK version (which you mentioned has better eyes which is also a plus). Think I may try to go with that one at least, but I would like to save for King Ghidorah first, since it is also the more expensive one of the bunch.

Good point about the lack of blue belly on the translucent plate heat ray one. I missed that at first. I saw a review of that non translucent one earlier today, and I really liked how the blue was done on the belly. I may wait for a comparison on both versions before deciding though.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Also yes to what avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp responded with, since I'm currently looking at the BBTS listings and the improved version of the GvsK is the one up for pre-order currently, along with the other versions I mentioned.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on December 18, 2023, 09:36:11 PMThat said any recommendations towards either the previous Godzilla variations or the upcoming ones? Like between the upcoming 2014 one, KotM, GvsK (updated ver) versions (ignoring the heat ray and burning), do you folks have a particular preference? I'm actually (surprisingly) still behind on watching KotM (and Kong Skull Island), but I did watch the recent Godzilla vs Kong (wonder if Hiya Toys will also do Mecha from that one), plus the original 2014 one way back when it first released. I see with the 2014 one it will be slightly smaller, and it seems the plates on the KotM design are much bigger. Not sure what the difference between the KotM and GvsK designs are though, other then the slight size difference of the figures, and maybe paint as well? Also wondering if I should go for either the regular or translucent version of the heat ray GvsK design.

Honestly you can't go wrong with picking up any of the 3 designs, just pick which one looks best to you as they're so similar to the casual fan. HIYA's affordability and qualit is just unmatched, especially when compared to the more expensive and less screen accurate SHM figures...

Differences in the designs
G14:
- Largest head proportionally
- Least developed upper body musculature (thinner build overall)
- Obvious pubic bone
- More columnar legs and feet + small foot claws
- Smaller dorsal plates
- Longest tail that ends in a sharp tip
- The smaller figure
Notes: you can really tell that the designers went for a more "plausible" reconstruction of what such a massive creature would realistically look like.

G19:
- Smallest head proportionally
- More developed upper body musculature
- Rounded abdomen
- Larger foot claws
- Larger dorsal plates
- Shorter blunted tail
- The larger of the two
Notes: The "cooler" design.

To my knowledge the updated GvK figure is a direct repaint of the G19 sculpt. So just boils down to which colouration or movie you fancy more. I've got the G19 personally because KotM is the first Godzilla film I ever went to see in cinemas, and the design is just so nice. (Though I do know that some people dislike the "pinhead").

The initial batch of G19 figures had less crisp molding, and obvious seamlines across the mandible. The light tan wash was also a bit heavy handed in its application. These minor issues seems to have been corrected in later batches of G19, as I don't notice any of them on my copy. So do take note when you're watching Youtube comparisons between the G19 and GvK figures, as they will note the apparently crisper details on the updated GvK, which now the G19 version has as well. Issue is, not sure if there's any way to guarentee a later batch release of G19 unless your retailer of choice received their shipment around this time of year or later.

1st Pic by @MFS314; GvK, HIYA G19 1st batch, SHM19.
2nd Pic by me; HIYA G19 (2nd batch)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on January 23, 2024, 01:16:37 AMLet me know when they secure the rights to MINUS 1

Might be a minute. I would recommend the Bandai figure until then, it has great detail even if limited mobility.

MLMjp

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I preordered him.  You can also order him on Hiya maybe with a slightly faster delivery but the shipping..wow.

I also just ordered the translucent Previews Ex Godzilla from Kowkis with Luminous Youtube discount coupon it brought him to around 62.00 and he will be here via airmail in a couple weeks.

GojiraGuy1954

2 more Godzillas revealed from HIYA, both for GxK; another repaint of their G19 sculpt ("Pre-Evolved Version") and the bad one

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Didn't need another repaint but I did order the Evolved Godzilla. BBTS,Kowkis, and Hiya all have them up for preorder.

MLMjp

I still have not fully accepted the evolved Godzilla desing (2019/2021 was peak) so I'm going to wait until I see the movie before pre-ordering the figure. Or maybe just wait for the heat ray variant, maybe a translucent one...

I do wonder if Hiya managed to secure the final CGI files to make this figure, as the waist has yet again that malnourised look (like the playmates toys) and according to that image of Godzilla and Kong roaring in the desert (I have not seen the second trailer so I can't make better comparisons) the waist isn't that narrow.

Being located in china means their product development and communication are faster than other companies so I do hope they got the final files and not unfinished ones.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: MLMjp on March 02, 2024, 04:51:38 PMI still have not fully accepted the evolved Godzilla desing (2019/2021 was peak) so I'm going to wait until I see the movie before pre-ordering the figure. Or maybe just wait for the heat ray variant, maybe a translucent one...

I do wonder if Hiya managed to secure the final CGI files to make this figure, as the waist has yet again that malnourised look (like the playmates toys) and according to that image of Godzilla and Kong roaring in the desert (I have not seen the second trailer so I can't make better comparisons) the waist isn't that narrow.

Being located in china means their product development and communication are faster that other companies so I do hope they got the final files and not unfinished ones.
It's because he's angled upwards in that image
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on March 02, 2024, 04:51:38 PMI still have not fully accepted the evolved Godzilla desing (2019/2021 was peak) so I'm going to wait until I see the movie before pre-ordering the figure. Or maybe just wait for the heat ray variant, maybe a translucent one...

Being located in china means their product development and communication are faster than other companies so I do hope they got the final files and not unfinished ones.

I understand, he didn't look nearly as small waisted in the latest trailers. I do wonder if maybe that bugged folks and they lessened it. Playmates had to get their figures done pronto so they might have only received early renders? The tail spines/thagomizer look smaller on Hiya and the Jada but larger on the Playmates. Either it's a design time frame issue or maybe they can expand and retract?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have seen a leaked image that I won't post here, but looks like we are definitely getting a Hiya Shimo. Hopefully it's the right scale to Godzilla.

MLMjp

Does Kowkis toys charge you in advance when you pre-order? Everyone recommends them but for the love of God(zilla) nobody says if they charge upfront for their preorders or not, not even the website.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on March 05, 2024, 12:38:06 PMDoes Kowkis toys charge you in advance when you pre-order? Everyone recommends them but for the love of God(zilla) nobody says if they charge upfront for their preorders or not, not even the website.

They do.  I've been telling people that ask on Facebook. Kowkis and Hiya both charge upfront for preorders, Kowkis has coupons that take a few bucks off and offer "free"shipping,  they are just charging a bit more for the item to cover the fees.  You can upgrade faster shipping for around 20.00 I think?  Hiya charges a flat fee of 30.00 for shipping.  I haven't yet been told who gets items shipped first, Hiya or Kowkis. I think both are located in China and might be really close?  The free ship from Kowkis takes around 2 weeks.  I've not ordered from Hiya yet.

The cheapest method in the states is to wait and use BBTS or EE. But if your impatient for something... lol

I did see the new GxK paint version is now listed from Hiya and Kowkis as a March delivery, BBTS and EE still have it up as June so that's a big leap forward.  The new Evolved Godzilla might move up too?

I also have been looking at the pics of the GxK Godzilla/repaint and I think it has a new tail design?

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2024, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on March 05, 2024, 12:38:06 PMDoes Kowkis toys charge you in advance when you pre-order? Everyone recommends them but for the love of God(zilla) nobody says if they charge upfront for their preorders or not, not even the website.

They do.  I've been telling people that ask on Facebook. Kowkis and Hiya both charge upfront for preorders, Kowkis has coupons that take a few bucks off and offer "free"shipping,  they are just charging a bit more for the item to cover the fees.  You can upgrade faster shipping for around 20.00 I think?  Hiya charges a flat fee of 30.00 for shipping.  I haven't yet been told who gets items shipped first, Hiya or Kowkis. I think both are located in China and might be really close?  The free ship from Kowkis takes around 2 weeks.  I've not ordered from Hiya yet.

The cheapest method in the states is to wait and use BBTS or EE. But if your impatient for something... lol

I did see the new GxK paint version is now listed from Hiya and Kowkis as a March delivery, BBTS and EE still have it up as June so that's a big leap forward.  The new Evolved Godzilla might move up too?

I also have been looking at the pics of the GxK Godzilla/repaint and I think it has a new tail design?
Thank you!

I can't pay up front for most stuff generally, so... to wait the extra months...

Pd:I heard they both get their stock around the same time, even if there's a minir difference they still beat other retailers in getting their stock earlier. Kowkis looks to be the better option (if you can pay upfront), 30 bucks for shipping from Hiya is a no-no.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on March 05, 2024, 06:20:59 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2024, 04:14:46 PM

Thank you!

I can't pay up front for most stuff generally, so... to wait the extra months...

Pd:I heard they both get their stock around the same time, even if there's a minir difference they still beat other retailers in getting their stock earlier. Kowkis looks to be the better option (if you can pay upfront), 30 bucks for shipping from Hiya is a no-no.

Sorry I missed this. For sure. 30.00 per figure would be ridiculous unless your one of those "me first" reviewers.  If  Iwere making a large order and it was only 30.00 then..maybe.

Hiya just announced a new Ghidorah repaint/add-ons.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/270444?o=1

Of course I just got charged for my first Hiya Ghidorah via Amazon..ugh.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: