News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Joel on February 13, 2013, 11:18:06 PM
Quote from: mb-cg on February 13, 2013, 09:56:32 PM
I had the Princeton Field Guide by S. Paul as reference and I think the size is about 4 or 5 foot. I've searched a bit more and I've only seen that size (9.8 ft) in Wikipedia. I don't know which one is more reliable. The model I'm working on is about 16cm.
I'd go with GSP's Field Guide. I'm not sure if those who edit Wikipedia have access to the source material.

lol too true.

ihatefeathers144

Would I be out of line if I asked for several different Champsosaurs in different poses (Swimming, walking, mouth open  etc.) I would buy quite a few..

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: mb-cg on February 13, 2013, 09:56:32 PM
I had the Princeton Field Guide by S. Paul as reference and I think the size is about 4 or 5 foot. I've searched a bit more and I've only seen that size (9.8 ft) in Wikipedia. I don't know which one is more reliable. The model I'm working on is about 16cm.
I think you are correct. The size being stated by S. Paul just makes more sense when you consider other dinosaurs from this lineage, ie, Psittacosaurus, Koreaceratops, etc. The maximum size for Psittacosaurus has been pegged at six feet, similar to other dinosaurs of this family. The 9.8 foot figure does sound somewhat inflated when you measure against other members of the line.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mb-cg

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2013, 10:31:37 PM
If it ballparked around 100.00 or so I'd be game. Maybe a hatchling Allosaurus would also be possible. ;) I know David once mentioned something about hollowing out a piece to a certain extent..is that possible ? Could allow larger pieces for less price then.

All my models (except the smaller ones) are hollowed to get the cheapest prices, and the walls of the models have around 0,7mm. I suppose that with a bigger figure it will need thicker walls, lately Shapeways is stricter with the material design rules...

Quote from: ihatefeathers144 on February 13, 2013, 11:36:06 PM
Would I be out of line if I asked for several different Champsosaurs in different poses (Swimming, walking, mouth open  etc.) I would buy quite a few..

Here is the test for the Champsosaurus. Given the small size that the final figures will have, it won't need so much detail:

Bokisaurus

Very nice, can't wait to order it, along with the vintage megalosaurus!
I just got the hadrosaurus at 1/72, now waiting on the ceratopsians! Great work, keep them coming! :)

ihatefeathers144

Great job on the Champsosaurs! Stupid question, these are going to be in 1/40, correct?

SBell

I really like the champsosaurs. BUT. Champsosaurs didn't have/wouldn't have had scutes on their backs like crocodiles; they were likely leathery or maybe pebbly (like various lizards).

mb-cg

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 15, 2013, 01:06:42 AM
Very nice, can't wait to order it, along with the vintage megalosaurus!
I just got the hadrosaurus at 1/72, now waiting on the ceratopsians! Great work, keep them coming! :)

Thank you Bokisaurus!!

Quote from: ihatefeathers144 on February 15, 2013, 01:13:09 AM
Great job on the Champsosaurs! Stupid question, these are going to be in 1/40, correct?

Correct  :D

Quote from: SBell on February 15, 2013, 02:20:23 AM
I really like the champsosaurs. BUT. Champsosaurs didn't have/wouldn't have had scutes on their backs like crocodiles; they were likely leathery or maybe pebbly (like various lizards).

Thanks a lot for the advice, I will fix it :D

SBell

Quote from: mb-cg on February 15, 2013, 02:40:59 AM

No problem--I think they look great, but realized that the scutes made them look like crocs!

Any chance that one could be posed in a rising (get a breath at the surface) or diving downward (to get a fish) pose. Most of their time would have been spent swimming, which means they'd be moving around in all 3 dimensions.

This is a well-known surfacing picture as reference:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: mb-cg on February 15, 2013, 12:43:24 AM
If it ballparked around 100.00 or so I'd be game. Maybe a hatchling Allosaurus would also be possible. ;) I know David once mentioned something about hollowing out a piece to a certain extent..is that possible ? Could allow larger pieces for less price then.

All my models (except the smaller ones) are hollowed to get the cheapest prices, and the walls of the models have around 0,7mm. I suppose that with a bigger figure it will need thicker walls, lately Shapeways is stricter with the material design rules...

Maybe they've had a lot of errors or something.  With a bigger figure I would guess that it would indeed need thicker walls..at least in some areas..maybe 3mm at least ?   It would be great to have some smaller species in 1:1 scale ..Microceratops/microceratus was in the Jurassic Park novel as well so it might have some fans there too.  These guys incidentally would be painted and coated to be added to my park outdoors.   ;) Now a baby Allo like I mentioned..well that would have to right here beside the comp with me.. ;D

Joel

Quote from: SBell on February 15, 2013, 02:52:36 AM
Quote from: mb-cg on February 15, 2013, 02:40:59 AM

No problem--I think they look great, but realized that the scutes made them look like crocs!

Any chance that one could be posed in a rising (get a breath at the surface) or diving downward (to get a fish) pose. Most of their time would have been spent swimming, which means they'd be moving around in all 3 dimensions.

This is a well-known surfacing picture as reference:

I am unfamiliar with the skins of champsosaurs, but do you think it would be possible for them to have scales like the caiman lizard or crocodile skink?

ihatefeathers144

I like the idea of one of them swimming/going up for air as well.

SBell

From what I understand, the skin was probably leathery looking, maybe a slight pebbly texture (similar to what has been found for mosasaurs, perhaps)--no heavy scaling. Keep in mind these were very aquatic animals, adapted to diving and swimming in the mid-water (away from the shore-hugging crocs) so armour and plates would just slow them down.

Joel

Quote from: SBell on February 15, 2013, 04:54:09 AM
From what I understand, the skin was probably leathery looking, maybe a slight pebbly texture (similar to what has been found for mosasaurs, perhaps)--no heavy scaling. Keep in mind these were very aquatic animals, adapted to diving and swimming in the mid-water (away from the shore-hugging crocs) so armour and plates would just slow them down.
Ah, that makes sense. Sort of like a water monitor with the face of a gharial?

Mr. Bejarano, I just got all four of your new ceratopsians in 1/72 scale in the mail today , and of course, they're excellent! They really complement Krentz's 1/72 dinos superbly! If you don't mind me asking, does Shapeways give you some sort of compensation for every sale of your models? I hope they do, as to give you motivation for you to keep cranking these guys out! :D

gorgosaurus

There are Late Cretaceous fossilised skin impressions of very fine pebbly skin, without visible osteoderms or scutes, associated with skeletal remains of Champsosaurs.

I have read somewhere, but cannot remember where at the moment, that their eyes may have been forwardly orientated. I´ll look into it. Anyway changing this small detail on a model would be an easy fix for anyone.

Spike.

radman

Quote from: Joel on February 15, 2013, 08:01:13 AM
Mr. Bejarano, I just got all four of your new ceratopsians in 1/72 scale in the mail today , and of course, they're excellent! They really complement Krentz's 1/72 dinos superbly!

I fully agree.  I got mine yesterday also, and lined them up with the other 1:72's:

The penta is actually the largest of the bunch.  I thought the Kaiyodo Anchiceratops also fit in, so that's included as well.  The Takara trike is also about right as is the Kaiyodo styraco (not shown).  Hopefully the Sinoceratops will fit in as well, I don't have it yet.
Nice job, mb-cg, overnight you have almost doubled my ceratopsian 1:72 collection!

postsaurischian

Awesome 1:72 Ceratopsian collection, Chris :)!

I have to order the mb-cg models soon. I think I'll go for the 1:40s.

mb-cg

I have modified the Champsosaurus model following your indications. I read that the Champsosaurus was about 1.5m/5ft long that will be 3,8cm in the final figure, so I don't think the little details will be seen. Here is a comparison with the last version:

Quote from: SBell on February 15, 2013, 04:54:09 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Sort of like a water monitor with the face of a gharial?

Mr. Bejarano, I just got all four of your new ceratopsians in 1/72 scale in the mail today , and of course, they're excellent! They really complement Krentz's 1/72 dinos superbly! If you don't mind me asking, does Shapeways give you some sort of compensation for every sale of your models? I hope they do, as to give you motivation for you to keep cranking these guys out! :D

Thank you Joel, I don't mind asking your question :D In Shapeways for every figure there is a price per cm3 for each material and then you add a markup, and that is what you earn (Shapeways also have a markup fee). I try to hollow the models as much as I can and add a low markup to get the lowest prices possible. Reading the comments and seeing the photos are a great motivation :D

Quote from: radman on February 15, 2013, 12:24:42 PM
Mr. Bejarano, I just got all four of your new ceratopsians in 1/72 scale in the mail today , and of course, they're excellent! They really complement Krentz's 1/72 dinos superbly!

I fully agree.  I got mine yesterday also, and lined them up with the other 1:72's:

The penta is actually the largest of the bunch.  I thought the Kaiyodo Anchiceratops also fit in, so that's included as well.  The Takara trike is also about right as is the Kaiyodo styraco (not shown).  Hopefully the Sinoceratops will fit in as well, I don't have it yet.
Nice job, mb-cg, overnight you have almost doubled my ceratopsian 1:72 collection!

Thank you Radman, I hope they behave well XD  Are you planning to paint them?

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2013, 02:59:08 AM
Quote from: mb-cg on February 15, 2013, 12:43:24 AM

Maybe they've had a lot of errors or something.  With a bigger figure I would guess that it would indeed need thicker walls..at least in some areas..maybe 3mm at least ?   It would be great to have some smaller species in 1:1 scale ..Microceratops/microceratus was in the Jurassic Park novel as well so it might have some fans there too.  These guys incidentally would be painted and coated to be added to my park outdoors.   ;) Now a baby Allo like I mentioned..well that would have to right here beside the comp with me.. ;D

I will do a test to see how much would it cost. Maybe a juvenile version or a hatchling dinosaur would be possible. Anyway I have a little model that will be 1:1 scale and I will show it soon here  :))

SBell

That revised champsosaur looks amazing--and just right!

I have to say, you are very productive with these--my wish list is constantly growing! Once I am moved and settled, I think I know what my first parcel to the new address will end up being!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very cool of you and much appreciated.  I believe Microceratus is about 24'' as an adult.

A newly hatched or very young Allosaurus..maybe it be a 12" or so ?  I'm not sure any eggs have been found to be exact.  I had heard about one last year but haven't any more info on it since. There are apparently some Allosaur-like eggs in Portugal but again no pics.

Here is  a video of one Crawely Creatures did : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoRLwSOiWOw&list=UUfIX6hJVq3z_bJyCMjaknGA&index=5

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: