News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Cenozoic and Eons mammoth Backerkit Sept 3rd

Started by Faelrin, October 11, 2022, 05:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I will be honest, maybe it is just my bias (I am not a huge fan of the Cenozoic), but I am less than hyped for this. Unlike dinosaurs, where they can go wild because we don't know most of the specific colors, we know the colors of quite a few Cenozoic creatures, or at least can make more precise guesses than with dinosaurs. I feel this series will be a lot more limited and boring than before.

There's so much stuff being planned, and the Tyrannosaur line isn't even finished, I don't have really any excitement for more stuff. Cyberzoic? Not my thing, but the designs look sick. Non-entire family lines for BOTM? Okay. But now a whole other line, with less creative possibilities and more strict "rules" behind how speculative you can go is really over my head.

Of course, I am as ecstatic as anyone would that their able to be having a full-time job and are bringing the series to it's full potential, but this might be one of the few lines I never purchase from.
An oversized house cat.

andrewsaurus rex

i bet you change your mind once you start seeing the figures.   

Lynx

Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 12, 2022, 01:59:22 PMi bet you change your mind once you start seeing the figures.   

I don't collect Cenozoic stuff, and have zero interest in ever doing so. Even if one or two figures have a good design, that doesn't mean I will buy them or even change my mind regarding it
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

The carnivores will undoubtedly allow for greater leeway in terms of coloration and patterning. We definitely know for a fact that woolly mammoth fur was brown, but we definitely don't know if Simbakubwa had stripes or spots or if Arctotherium had black fur or brown fur or if the dire wolf had thin fur like a dingo or thick fur like a grey wolf. It might also be cool to try depicting Megatherium with little to no visible fur.

BotC will stand on the firm foundation of top notch sculpting, scientific accuracy (as close as can be approached), and articulation. Coloration is a minor factor compared to BotM.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

I'm not super enthusiastic about the Cenozoic to be honest, but there are some taxa that I would find very interesting. Especially Megatherium.

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on October 12, 2022, 03:02:51 PMThe carnivores will undoubtedly allow for greater leeway in terms of coloration and patterning. We definitely know for a fact that woolly mammoth fur was brown, but we definitely don't know if Simbakubwa had stripes or spots or if Arctotherium had black fur or brown fur or if the dire wolf had thin fur like a dingo or thick fur like a grey wolf. It might also be cool to try depicting Megatherium with little to no visible fur.

BotC will stand on the firm foundation of top notch sculpting, scientific accuracy (as close as can be approached), and articulation. Coloration is a minor factor compared to BotM.

The main reason coloration matters a lot to me is that there are plenty of brands with more affordable and perfectly good Cenozoic and Mesozoic models as well, coloration and designs matter because it sets BOTM apart. Even if you aren't much of a fan of articulation, the colors and speculative designs really do make most releases a hit. PNSO can do the same thing anytime regarding the accuracy and top-notch sculpting, but the sheer design of it makes BOTM a clear throne among other companies to that degree.

Maybe I am alone with this opinion, but I really don't mind.
What makes a BOTM Smilodon different from every. single. other. brand. if they just give it a pale color or brown? Nothing. Any company can make a well-articulated model, but not every company can match the creative design behind it.

Edit: ignore this, I read the statement wrong
An oversized house cat.

JohannesB

Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but I would rather have seen Beasts of the (late) Palaeozoic, with all its strange and magnificent beasts.

Lynx

Quote from: JohannesB on October 12, 2022, 03:16:36 PMSorry to go off-topic a bit, but I would rather have seen Beasts of the (late) Palaeozoic, with all its strange and magnificent beasts.

Same here, we have a lack of many (and many good) models of these guys. (not saying that there are no good models, but compared to the Cenozoic or Permian..)
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

I love both Cenozoic and Paleozoic stuff, but if I'm gonna be real, I do prefer Paleozoic stuff a bit more so. I hope the possibility of Paleozoic stuff comes at some point. Plenty of creatures I'd like to see done in such a line. (Dimetrodon, Dunkleosteus, Estemmenosuchus, Moschops, Scutosaurus, Tiktaalik, etc. For now I guess the Mattel Dimetrodon (the new Dominion mold with corrected digits and head shape), and Scutosaurus will tide me over. And if we return to the Mesozoic, Triassic period stuff would be nice as well, though for the meantime Mattel also has me covered. Certainly not as accurate, but it's something to get me by.

But well I'm still incredibly excited at the possibly of what could be done here. I guess I'm in the minority that collects Cenozoic stuff, but I really do love prehistoric fauna all throughout Earth's history. My collection certainly shows it, with how many Paleozoic and Cenozoic genera I've added to it over the years, never mind the Mesozoic and its ever famous dinosaurs.

Action figures for prehistoric Cenozoic creatures are also severely lacking (same with Paleozoic, but well a few are getting out there now thanks to Mattel, Takara Tomy and F-Toys). Only the old Tyco ones come to mind, and sure there was those Lanard Toys Primal Clash sets released a few years back, but the figures in those were hardly articulated to truly count.

Not related to this stuff, but this reminded me that I am sorely behind on updating my Paleozoic and Cenozoic figure threads. I should probably amend that today or this week.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on October 12, 2022, 04:16:55 PMI love both Cenozoic and Paleozoic stuff, but if I'm gonna be real, I do prefer Paleozoic stuff a bit more so. I hope the possibility of Paleozoic stuff comes at some point. Plenty of creatures I'd like to see done in such a line. (Dimetrodon, Dunkleosteus, Estemmenosuchus, Moschops, Scutosaurus, Tiktaalik, etc. For now I guess the Mattel Dimetrodon (the new Dominion mold with corrected digits and head shape), and Scutosaurus will tide me over. And if we return to the Mesozoic, Triassic period stuff would be nice as well, though for the meantime Mattel also has me covered. Certainly not as accurate, but it's something to get me by.

A BotP Estemmenosuchus figure would be an absolute dream come true.

As for the new BotC line, I don't mind it. Probably will be skipping most of the famous taxa since I already have good representations of them in my collection. (moreover, I think I prefer my mammals to be static figures)

But anything obscure, bizarre, or hasn't been previously made before is fair game.

Sim

Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 11, 2022, 10:37:28 PMwith still a wealth of Dinosaur subjects to cover, not to mention PRE dinosaur subjects eg postosuchus, dimetrodon, and on and on and on, suffice it to say, David can be a busy boy for the next decade or more, if he is so inclined..
Postosuchus was a contemporary of dinosaurs.

Quote from: Thialfi on October 12, 2022, 02:35:19 AM
Quote from: Eatmycar on October 11, 2022, 09:20:27 PMDefinitely not excited about this honestly. We don't even have Hadrosaurs in BoTM OR Cyberzoic and now this is announced?

My fear of BoTM not becoming more diverse has come back again. Now, instead of tooth genera or focusing on just families, it'll be ice age creatures clogging the pipelines.

He'll get me with Terror Birds if he does any, same with early primates like Gigantopithecus or Neandertals. I would go in for a 1/18 scale Dodo though.

Overall I'm worried. Between this and the Beasts Rex's neck giving it a giant hood over the back of the head... it has not been a stellar year.

Of course your sentiment is perfectly valid, but it's funny, I feel the exact opposite: dinosaurs have been clogging the pipelines of extinct Cenozoic animals or any other extinct non-dinosaurs in model form for way too long 👀

Hyped for this, hoping for a lot of obscure species!
I agree somewhat with E @Eatmycar on this.  Dinosaurs are extremely popular, the most popular prehistoric animals, so it's natural that they would get the most attention.  It's similar to how there are lines of just horse figures, although much more diverse than that.  Making just dinosaurs or just Mesozoic reptiles can be good for those like me who are mostly interested in just those animals.
I too worry that BotC will hinder BotM from becoming more diverse.  There are still a number of dinosaur types missing from BotM, and same goes for pterosaurs and marine reptiles.  However, I'm going to trust David to deliver a satisfying result as he's done so so far.

Carnoking

I'll say I would much prefer the truly bizarre life forms of the Paleozoic to the relatively familiar ones of the Cenozoic. I've often jokingly said that everything in Earth's history after the Mesozoic was a mistake but I did grow up on Walking with Beasts (probably watched that even more than WWD ) so I can still appreciate the creatures of the Cenozoic even if they don't have a place on my shelf.

That said, I do wonder about the production timeline for this and Cyberzoic. The concept art and story snippets we've gotten for the latter suggest a more expansive lineup than the initial list suggested, and I know David has hinted at or confirmed more already. It honestly feels like he could spend years developing that line alone given how big the concept is. With that in mind, what will wind up getting more of his attention between this and Cyberzoic?

stargatedalek

I feel like this line might exist more to offer alternate colourschemes for the non-Mesozoic Cyberzoic species than to serve as its own line per-se, and I have nothing against that. Probably with a handful of new things thrown in.

Thialfi

Quote from: Sim on October 12, 2022, 05:18:47 PMI agree somewhat with E @Eatmycar on this.  Dinosaurs are extremely popular, the most popular prehistoric animals, so it's natural that they would get the most attention.  It's similar to how there are lines of just horse figures, although much more diverse than that.  Making just dinosaurs or just Mesozoic reptiles can be good for those like me who are mostly interested in just those animals.
I too worry that BotC will hinder BotM from becoming more diverse.  There are still a number of dinosaur types missing from BotM, and same goes for pterosaurs and marine reptiles.  However, I'm going to trust David to deliver a satisfying result as he's done so so far.

I am not sure of I fully understand. Doesn't this same logic apply to people who prefer (extinct) Cenozoic animals?

Sim

I think only the part about making x animals being good for those who prefer them, BotX possibly hindering BotX, and trusting David to deliver a satisfying result.  So only some parts.

Thialfi

Yes, those are the parts I meant. I mean, people who prefer (extinct) Cenozoic animals will get some really nice stuff to collect now, after three lines of strictly dinosaurs. That's pretty cool no, some diversity in the line? The dinosaur lines narrows it down to families, whereas the Cenozoic line will encompass an entire epoch. So either way dinosaurs will be represented on a much grander scale.

I am pretty sure that after BotC BotM will return with more dinosaurs to rejoice over, and will see a return to dinosaur family representation.

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek That was basically my thinking as well. I mean we already have BotM versions of the Cyberzoic figures coming out, so it makes sense to have something similar for the Smilodon in place. Smilodon also isn't Mesozoic, so makes sense that it would be time for a new line, if it were to get the same alternate colorations treatment between the two series as all those other ones all get. And it is a good way to get more out of those expensive molds too.

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi You are making a good point here. Anyone for example that is interested in, or might only be interested in prehistoric and/or extinct Cenozoic fauna, might feel like they only get scraps in comparison to the Mesozoic stuff. In fact in recent years I think even the Paleozoic stuff that has been getting a better chance in the spotlight lately, and they typically have only ever gotten scraps. Granted yes some dinosaurs also suffer from this too (still waiting for a Kulindadromeus, and others), but Dinosauria as a whole is far better represented then extinct Synapsida (including Mammalia), etc.

And again I must reiterate, quality action figures of prehistoric and/or extinct Cenozoic animals are few and far between. This is why I am so excited for the doors being opened here, even if it is at least the ever popular Smilodon for now. It may provide an opportunity for often neglected genera, or even some popular ones, a chance in the spotlight, as far as highly detailed action figures go, if not models in general.

Like I get that some folks here are only interested in dinosaurs or Mesozoic animals in general, but can those of us that like stuff outside that be allowed to have this chance for once?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

You said it better than I ever could avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, thank you.

Lynx

Quote from: Faelrin on October 13, 2022, 12:58:11 AMavatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek That was basically my thinking as well. I mean we already have BotM versions of the Cyberzoic figures coming out, so it makes sense to have something similar for the Smilodon in place. Smilodon also isn't Mesozoic, so makes sense that it would be time for a new line, if it were to get the same alternate colorations treatment between the two series as all those other ones all get. And it is a good way to get more out of those expensive molds too.

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi You are making a good point here. Anyone for example that is interested in, or might only be interested in prehistoric and/or extinct Cenozoic fauna, might feel like they only get scraps in comparison to the Mesozoic stuff. In fact in recent years I think even the Paleozoic stuff that has been getting a better chance in the spotlight lately, and they typically have only ever gotten scraps. Granted yes some dinosaurs also suffer from this too (still waiting for a Kulindadromeus, and others), but Dinosauria as a whole is far better represented then extinct Synapsida (including Mammalia), etc.

And again I must reiterate, quality action figures of prehistoric and/or extinct Cenozoic animals are few and far between. This is why I am so excited for the doors being opened here, even if it is at least the ever popular Smilodon for now. It may provide an opportunity for often neglected genera, or even some popular ones, a chance in the spotlight, as far as highly detailed action figures go, if not models in general.

Like I get that some folks here are only interested in dinosaurs or Mesozoic animals in general, but can those of us that like stuff outside that be allowed to have this chance for once?

The last part is what I will be referring to.
I feel like this is going to start an argument, but oh well.
I really don't care if others are starting to get more diversity, especially the Cenozoic and those who are fans of it. Really, I'm happy for them.

I don't have concerns that BOTC is going to overshadow BOTM or whatever, I'm just worried BOTC will have less diversity, that's it.

Maybe you were referring to me, maybe you weren't, but I feel it needs to be said.

I don't mind if BOTM gets slowed down so fans of other areas can get stuff. I am overjoyed those with less options can get more stuff. I may only be interested in Mesozoic creatures, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to make it seem like your not 'allowed' to get a line of your own. The whole situation is just plain odd in general.

To its core, I'm PURELY worried if or if not the designs will be good. That's it. I don't mind a Cenozoic line, I just would love to see unique designs for stuff that usually gets very basic color schemes. It doesn't have to be neon sparkles and rainbows, but something different, even if "basic" would be wonderful to see, regardless if I'm interested in a line or not.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on October 13, 2022, 03:21:23 AMI don't have concerns that BOTC is going to overshadow BOTM or whatever, I'm just worried BOTC will have less diversity, that's it.
I recommend looking into cenozoic fauna. There is absolutely a large diversity of animals. If anything, I'd say David will be able to have a much greater variety of different species with this cenzoic line than BOTM.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: