News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

J

Potential well known dinosaurs for Mojo Fun

Started by john2xtheman, December 03, 2012, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What well known dinosaurs do you want to see from Mojo Fun?

Ceratosaurus nasicornis
12 (16.2%)
Styracosaurus albertensis
5 (6.8%)
Diplodocus longus
8 (10.8%)
Dilophosaurus wetherilli
6 (8.1%)
Lambeosaurus lambei
18 (24.3%)
Lambeosaurus magnicristatus
11 (14.9%)
Archaeopteryx lithographica
17 (23%)
Tyrannosaurus rex
6 (8.1%)
Triceratops horridus
3 (4.1%)
Ankylosaurus magniventris
1 (1.4%)
Giraffatitan brancai
5 (6.8%)
Stegosaurus stenops
4 (5.4%)
Iguanodon bernissartensis
11 (14.9%)
Baryonyx walkeri
21 (28.4%)
Deinonychus antirhhopus
9 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 74

John

Quote from: Pixelboy on December 06, 2012, 10:37:48 PM
Quote from: John on December 06, 2012, 08:53:04 PM
Quote from: Pixelboy on December 06, 2012, 04:13:06 AM
Quote from: John on December 06, 2012, 03:40:59 AM
I was not expecting Archaeopteryx to end up being a front runner,but it is the one with the most votes so far. :) I would pick one up in a flash,but since it's not something big or fierce I wonder how well it would sell outside of the most hardcore collectors.

Hah, I'd not be surprised if even the general public has had enough "big and fierce" dinosaurs by this point.
Sorry Pixelboy but no,not everyone has "had enough" of the big and fierce variety...one of my votes was for Ceratosaurus ;D

Hah, well, Ceratosaurus is pretty interesting - but with the Fauna Casts version on the market, I personally have no need for another. Now, if Mojo wanted to make a feathered Ceratosaurus, that'd make for some lovely variety  8)
There can never be enough Ceratosaurus' out there. ^-^
And what if the Ceratosaurus got feathers on it by tearing apart a feathered Ornitholetes,getting covered by it's victim's fuzzy coat in the process? ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ajax

Quote from: dinonikes on December 07, 2012, 12:39:37 AM
As an 'outsider' watching form the sidelines, I have to make one observation, or critique of the process used to gather suggestions for Mojo-
It seems like you all jumped rather quickly into your poll before all members would have a chance to make suggestions- the original post for this thread for example is only dated the third- today is the sixth- as one who went through this process myself when I was taking suggestions of what to make it took a while for all members to find the thread, and to think over their desires and to submit them to me- it seems like three days to collect ideas and then to make a poll that one has to then choose from without seemingly to having an input into what is voted on is unfair to those member who might have wanted to have had more of an input than to just be able to vote for those species tha others got to decide were the candidates up for vote- I hope you get my point here- not trying to rain on anyones enthusiasm over having the chance to pick ideas for a toy company that might actually listen to forum members- just trying to point out what I see as an unfair situation to those members who may have say been working, or our of town etc. and were not able to get involved until later in the game than three days time-
[/qu

Start another poll with new dinosaurs. Its only suggestive anyway, nothing here is set in stone for Mojo.

John

Quote from: ajax on December 07, 2012, 01:33:13 AM
Quote from: dinonikes on December 07, 2012, 12:39:37 AM
As an 'outsider' watching form the sidelines, I have to make one observation, or critique of the process used to gather suggestions for Mojo-
It seems like you all jumped rather quickly into your poll before all members would have a chance to make suggestions- the original post for this thread for example is only dated the third- today is the sixth- as one who went through this process myself when I was taking suggestions of what to make it took a while for all members to find the thread, and to think over their desires and to submit them to me- it seems like three days to collect ideas and then to make a poll that one has to then choose from without seemingly to having an input into what is voted on is unfair to those member who might have wanted to have had more of an input than to just be able to vote for those species tha others got to decide were the candidates up for vote- I hope you get my point here- not trying to rain on anyones enthusiasm over having the chance to pick ideas for a toy company that might actually listen to forum members- just trying to point out what I see as an unfair situation to those members who may have say been working, or our of town etc. and were not able to get involved until later in the game than three days time-
[/qu

Start another poll with new dinosaurs. Its only suggestive anyway, nothing here is set in stone for Mojo.

Yes it is! It is ALL SET IN STONE! Feel the POWER I HAVE to TAKE AWAY ANY CHOICES OTHER THAN MY OWN!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! >:D
....er I mean yeah,what ajax said! :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Patrx

Quote from: John on December 07, 2012, 01:10:14 AM
Quote from: Pixelboy on December 06, 2012, 10:37:48 PM
Quote from: John on December 06, 2012, 08:53:04 PM
Quote from: Pixelboy on December 06, 2012, 04:13:06 AM
Quote from: John on December 06, 2012, 03:40:59 AM
I was not expecting Archaeopteryx to end up being a front runner,but it is the one with the most votes so far. :) I would pick one up in a flash,but since it's not something big or fierce I wonder how well it would sell outside of the most hardcore collectors.

Hah, I'd not be surprised if even the general public has had enough "big and fierce" dinosaurs by this point.
Sorry Pixelboy but no,not everyone has "had enough" of the big and fierce variety...one of my votes was for Ceratosaurus ;D

Hah, well, Ceratosaurus is pretty interesting - but with the Fauna Casts version on the market, I personally have no need for another. Now, if Mojo wanted to make a feathered Ceratosaurus, that'd make for some lovely variety  8)
There can never be enough Ceratosaurus' out there. ^-^
And what if the Ceratosaurus got feathers on it by tearing apart a feathered Ornitholetes,getting covered by it's victim's fuzzy coat in the process? ;D

Hah! That would certainly be a unique figure. "Ceratosaurus with 'Battle Residue'".  It'd fly off the shelves  :))

mojojames

Hi Everyone
I see this poll is getting quite exciting, my particular choice would have been a good T-Rex, basically because we need is desperately.
Also funny enough, i dislike every version of Baryonyx i have seen to date so that would be good for me too.

Anyway this is your choice guys.....................but please please please consider old rexy  :P

Thanks Trexroar, you comments made a lot of sense  :))

Cheers

James

Takama

Quote from: mojojames on December 07, 2012, 07:48:26 PM
Hi Everyone
I see this poll is getting quite exciting, my particular choice would have been a good T-Rex, basically because we need is desperately.
Also funny enough, i dislike every version of Baryonyx i have seen to date so that would be good for me too.

Anyway this is your choice guys.....................but please please please consider old rexy  :P

Cheers

James

I assume you want to Retire the new one.

ZoPteryx

I certainly wouldn't mind a new T. rex, as the only scientifically accurate T. rex that's large (to my knowledge anyway) is the Carnegie anniversery rex, but that one just seems to lack something.  I think I'm gonna draw up some specs for the top runners and T. rex in these polls and then post them.

John

Lambeosaurus lambei is fast catching up to Archaeopteryx! :)

SBell

Quote from: John on December 08, 2012, 12:59:55 AM

Of all the ones on that list, Lambeosaurus is the longest without a decent figure (admittedly, the Invicta is great, but very hard to find).

I;m also not counting the Shapeways ones, which are part of a different kind of market.

John

...And the Lambeosaurus is now tied with the Archaeopteryx! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on December 08, 2012, 01:04:15 AM

Of all the ones on that list, Lambeosaurus is the longest without a decent figure (admittedly, the Invicta is great, but very hard to find).

I;m also not counting the Shapeways ones, which are part of a different kind of market.

My sentiments exactly.  I've always liked Lambeosaurus for some reason and it's time it had a figure as nice as the Shapeways releases I think.

Himmapaan

We don't have another readily available lambei besides the Invicta either, I don't think. The Shapeways ones by Angie are magnicristatus.

Trexroarr

Hi Everyone

Cheers

James

Thanks, James! Just because the T-Rex isn't doing so well in the voting, doesn't mean Mojo shouldn't make one, of course.

Although James is here representing Mojo and he is asking us for our help and input, which is fantastic, we all need to remember something. Mojo is a company. What is the point of a company? To make profits. Out of every single prehistoric creature there ever was, which one sells the best, to all ages, worldwide? Tyrannosaurus rex. As collectors, we may be sick of seeing T-rex figures already (I'm not lol), but the public isn't.

Let's say a child walks into a store and sees the Mojo figure display. The display features all of the amazing 2012 Prehistoric Mammals and all future 2013 prehistoric figures (including a T-rex). The child can only buy one figure. Which one do you think the child will buy? The T-rex, obviously. Why? Because it's a T-rex. Like I said before, T-rex sells. 'Nuff said.

Mojo and all other companies, need to find a balance between figures that will appeal to the average person (of all ages) and to the die-hard dino collector (again, of all ages). If Mojo is attempting to 'relaunch' their Prehistoric collection, then they will need to use iconic species, like T-rex, to get it off the ground. Then, maybe, in 2014, we can see a lot of these species that us collectors want.

This is just my two cents on the matter. Maybe I should apply for a job at Mojo or something lol. I know dinosaurs AND marketing (apparently) lol! xD

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

SBell

Quote from: Trexroarr on December 10, 2012, 06:48:14 AM
Hi Everyone

Cheers

James

Thanks, James! Just because the T-Rex isn't doing so well in the voting, doesn't mean Mojo shouldn't make one, of course.

Although James is here representing Mojo and he is asking us for our help and input, which is fantastic, we all need to remember something. Mojo is a company. What is the point of a company? To make profits. Out of every single prehistoric creature there ever was, which one sells the best, to all ages, worldwide? Tyrannosaurus rex. As collectors, we may be sick of seeing T-rex figures already (I'm not lol), but the public isn't.

Let's say a child walks into a store and sees the Mojo figure display. The display features all of the amazing 2012 Prehistoric Mammals and all future 2013 prehistoric figures (including a T-rex). The child can only buy one figure. Which one do you think the child will buy? The T-rex, obviously. Why? Because it's a T-rex. Like I said before, T-rex sells. 'Nuff said.

Mojo and all other companies, need to find a balance between figures that will appeal to the average person (of all ages) and to the die-hard dino collector (again, of all ages). If Mojo is attempting to 'relaunch' their Prehistoric collection, then they will need to use iconic species, like T-rex, to get it off the ground. Then, maybe, in 2014, we can see a lot of these species that us collectors want.

This is just my two cents on the matter. Maybe I should apply for a job at Mojo or something lol. I know dinosaurs AND marketing (apparently) lol! xD

Having worked retail--of these types of things--and having even consulted on a few products, I have tried to point this out for years. I think what happens is that, as collectors, we know that the big 5 (Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus/Apatosaurus, Velociraptor) are going to get done. As you said, it would be odd for a company to leave them out. So when collectors are asked what they want, there is a tendency to go beyond the usual and try for something different. The trick is trying to balance between different-enough and marketable.

Trexroarr

Quote from: SBell on December 10, 2012, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Trexroarr on December 10, 2012, 06:48:14 AM
Hi Everyone

Cheers

James

Having worked retail--of these types of things--and having even consulted on a few products, I have tried to point this out for years. I think what happens is that, as collectors, we know that the big 5 (Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus/Apatosaurus, Velociraptor) are going to get done. As you said, it would be odd for a company to leave them out. So when collectors are asked what they want, there is a tendency to go beyond the usual and try for something different. The trick is trying to balance between different-enough and marketable.

That is exactly my point. When launching a new collection, using those 5 (plus perhaps Spinosaurus and Allosaurus), are the perfect way to get it off the ground. I'm not saying Mojo should do ALL of them right now for 2013, but definitely Tyrannosaurus and maybe Triceratops (gotta have a herbivore and it is probably the second most popular and well known dinosaur, plus it goes well with T-Rex, obviously). Kids love that. As for us collectors, I'd say the top two in this poll (Baryonyx and Lambeosaurus (as of now)) and top winner from the obscure species poll (Masiakasaurus (as of now)). The prehistoric mammal line(s) and any other prehistoric species that is made (pterosaurs, marine reptiles, terror birds, etc.), is totally a seperate thing. 5 dinos for the DINO line, is definitely a good starting point and it is a perfect balance, in my opinion.

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

Seijun

I would have suggested trex for the poll here, but since they already have two I figured they would not be interested.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

I think if I were making the decisions I would not go head to head with other dinosaur lines and do things the way they do specifically so I could offer something both UNIQUE and perhaps more cost effective and desireable. Everyone in the thread so far is figuring various single figures against one another and jockying for position.
  If it were my decision to make, I would offer three packs. Perhaps a set of three figures from the same time period..ala, Cretaceous, North America, you could offer Tyrannosaurus, triceratops, and lambeosaurus all three in one group. Then you could branch from that and make other themes as you chose..feathered dinosaurs, armored dinosaurs, feathered dragons of china, Fast and sleek, whatever you really could imagine.
  Such a process would save on packaging costs, make the dinosaurs more educational and also allow them to be sold at a cheaper price level, than single figures that each have to be handled seperately.
For those wanting the Brachiosaurus Althoriax or Giraffatitan, perhaps a two pack with BOTH......Some say Tyrannosaurs, some say Ceratosaurus, why not a predator two pack? Just seems easier to offer groupings than single dinosaurs.
  As for selecting from the list provided, I chose not to vote. The list lacks any species I could name from either China or South America, two of the most species rich environs for dinosaur types.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 11, 2012, 01:35:34 PM
...As for selecting from the list provided, I chose not to vote. The list lacks any species I could name from either China or South America, two of the most species rich environs for dinosaur types.
Some of those are in the "more obsure" dinosaurs options (It's hard for me to really tell between obscure and well known really,since to "Joe Public",EVERY dinosaur that isn't T. rex,Triceratops or a Jurassic Park "raptor" is obscure.)

SBell

I think if I were making the decisions I would not go head to head with other dinosaur lines and do things the way they do specifically so I could offer something both UNIQUE and perhaps more cost effective and desireable. Everyone in the thread so far is figuring various single figures against one another and jockying for position.
  If it were my decision to make, I would offer three packs. Perhaps a set of three figures from the same time period..ala, Cretaceous, North America, you could offer Tyrannosaurus, triceratops, and lambeosaurus all three in one group. Then you could branch from that and make other themes as you chose..feathered dinosaurs, armored dinosaurs, feathered dragons of china, Fast and sleek, whatever you really could imagine.
  Such a process would save on packaging costs, make the dinosaurs more educational and also allow them to be sold at a cheaper price level, than single figures that each have to be handled seperately.
For those wanting the Brachiosaurus Althoriax or Giraffatitan, perhaps a two pack with BOTH......Some say Tyrannosaurs, some say Ceratosaurus, why not a predator two pack? Just seems easier to offer groupings than single dinosaurs.
  As for selecting from the list provided, I chose not to vote. The list lacks any species I could name from either China or South America, two of the most species rich environs for dinosaur types.

Making packs is a good idea--but it would mean being very careful how they are packaged. Two Hell Creek Fm dinos with a Dinosaur Park Fm dino is no better than a random assortment, depending on your goals (Lambeosaurus is not found with T.rex--you'd need Edmontosaurus). By site? How narrow is 'place' defined? By age? How broad is the age range?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: SBell on December 11, 2012, 10:16:36 PM

Making packs is a good idea--but it would mean being very careful how they are packaged. Two Hell Creek Fm dinos with a Dinosaur Park Fm dino is no better than a random assortment, depending on your goals (Lambeosaurus is not found with T.rex--you'd need Edmontosaurus). By site? How narrow is 'place' defined? By age? How broad is the age range?

I think that's where the general public aspect would come in.  So the aforementioned pack would be "Late Creatceous Dinos of North America 1".  Would could have multiple packs under that name with different figures, just with the number changed.  Either way, I think if one is making packs, it would be best to group figures paleogeographically.  If they were by family or looks instead, a "large carnivores pack" would sell way more than the "little herbivores pack", which isn't really fair.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: