News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

J

Potential well known dinosaurs for Mojo Fun

Started by john2xtheman, December 03, 2012, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What well known dinosaurs do you want to see from Mojo Fun?

Ceratosaurus nasicornis
12 (16.2%)
Styracosaurus albertensis
5 (6.8%)
Diplodocus longus
8 (10.8%)
Dilophosaurus wetherilli
6 (8.1%)
Lambeosaurus lambei
18 (24.3%)
Lambeosaurus magnicristatus
11 (14.9%)
Archaeopteryx lithographica
17 (23%)
Tyrannosaurus rex
6 (8.1%)
Triceratops horridus
3 (4.1%)
Ankylosaurus magniventris
1 (1.4%)
Giraffatitan brancai
5 (6.8%)
Stegosaurus stenops
4 (5.4%)
Iguanodon bernissartensis
11 (14.9%)
Baryonyx walkeri
21 (28.4%)
Deinonychus antirhhopus
9 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Trexroarr

I really don't think packs is something that Mojo is looking into. Maybe this is a discussion for elsewhere? Just sayingggg lol.

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

Splonkadumpocus

In general, I think it's fair to expect the following or some variation thereof to be in a company's line-up early on:

Tyrannosaurus
Triceratops
Apatosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Stegosaurus
Velociraptor
Allosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Ankylosaurus
Pteranodon

Voting on specifics comes afterward.

Yutyrannus

I voted for Deinonychus and Baryonyx. Baryonyx is winning 8)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Myself, somewhat considered the idea of having an open discussion as just that....an OPEN discussion about what could or should be considered. I missed the page where someone spoke up and said we will limit the choices to x or y only.
  I do see a lot of toy makers out there plunking out single figures over and over like automatons. I suggested a card or package approach because it is unique and might just go over well. If you look at some of the collecta figures for instance, there is no single reason some of them could not have been group packed as sets, but as single toys they dont quite find the mark.
And I also suggest the dinosaur toy market has become much like a new album being released. The hit singles are not chosen by the public, they are chosen by those endlessly repeating the same track over and over....the tyrannosaurs, and triceratops and so forth, are expected because thats what people look for because that was what was in the set that was released last year had and it becomes a horrid cycle of endless repititon. Perhaps someone should try something new just once.....
   Kids run and look for the tyrannosaurus in the bin because thats what was there last year...safe, expected and rather dreary. Perhaps just once we could offer them a Dasplateousaurus, or Acrocanthosaurus instead, or even a Carnotaurus.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerzā€”Glenn Jepsen

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 12, 2012, 06:10:13 AM
Myself, somewhat considered the idea of having an open discussion as just that....an OPEN discussion about what could or should be considered. I missed the page where someone spoke up and said we will limit the choices to x or y only.
  I do see a lot of toy makers out there plunking out single figures over and over like automatons. I suggested a card or package approach because it is unique and might just go over well. If you look at some of the collecta figures for instance, there is no single reason some of them could not have been group packed as sets, but as single toys they dont quite find the mark.
And I also suggest the dinosaur toy market has become much like a new album being released. The hit singles are not chosen by the public, they are chosen by those endlessly repeating the same track over and over....the tyrannosaurs, and triceratops and so forth, are expected because thats what people look for because that was what was in the set that was released last year had and it becomes a horrid cycle of endless repititon. Perhaps someone should try something new just once.....
   Kids run and look for the tyrannosaurus in the bin because thats what was there last year...safe, expected and rather dreary. Perhaps just once we could offer them a Dasplateousaurus, or Acrocanthosaurus instead, or even a Carnotaurus.

I wouldn't take all this so seriously,the polls are just suggestion anyway.Nothing is even close to being set in stone for Mojo.
Besides,if you'll notice an earlier post by mojojames (who runs Mojo Fun) urging us to give T. rex consideration,it seems clear Mojo has Tyrannosaurus in mind as the next dinosaur they are going to develop anyway.By coincidence though,the prehistoric animal I've been wanting to see the most will turn up by one of the other companies next year (I'm not saying what it is or by what company),therefore I don't have a dog in this fight so to speak.Whatever Mojo ultimately decides to make whether it's on the polls or not will be fine by me.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Horridus

I honestly wouldn't mind a T. rex, as long as it was a good, anatomically sound (enough) one. They're surprisingly thin on the ground. Feathers would be great, but I understand that would be a hard sell, and aren't strictly necessary...yet ;)

Still gunning for a Deinonychus, in which case feathers ARE necessary. The Favorite one's OK, but dreary.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Horridus on December 12, 2012, 07:26:35 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind a T. rex, as long as it was a good, anatomically sound (enough) one. They're surprisingly thin on the ground. Feathers would be great, but I understand that would be a hard sell, and aren't strictly necessary...yet ;)

Still gunning for a Deinonychus, in which case feathers ARE necessary. The Favorite one's OK, but dreary.

That was one of my votes as well--I have yet to be really happy with a dromaeosaur (feathered or not). I like my older Bullyland one (the yellow-ish with stripes on a base) but the lack of feathers really dates it.

DinoToyForum

I honestly wouldn't mind a T. rex, as long as it was a good, anatomically sound (enough) one.

That's one of the things we will all hopefully be able to help Mojo with - getting the anatomy spot on. 8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on December 12, 2012, 08:08:35 PM

That was one of my votes as well--I have yet to be really happy with a dromaeosaur (feathered or not). I like my older Bullyland one (the yellow-ish with stripes on a base) but the lack of feathers really dates it.

What about the Bully Velociraptor ? :)

I'd like a ornithomimid of some sort..maybe struthiomimus ?

Takama

I got some info From Mojo BTW.

The cretures they wish to make are set at a certain price point

James said that he wishes for the Large models(example, there bigger T-Rex) to be from 10-$14.00 So there might be a chance that large Sauropods might not quite be to scale.

Trexroarr

Quote from: Takama on December 13, 2012, 03:14:26 AM
I got some info From Mojo BTW.

The cretures they wish to make are set at a certain price point

James said that he wishes for the Large models(example, there bigger T-Rex) to be from 10-$14.00 So there might be a chance that large Sauropods might not quite be to scale.

Maybe they would make an exception for the Sauropods. Like if it was say $20, that really isn't such a big difference from like $14.

Takama

your correct. Besides, James said that the Deinotherium is going to be $19 ($20 if you include Tax in the states)

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 13, 2012, 02:05:37 AM
Quote from: SBell on December 12, 2012, 08:08:35 PM

What about the Bully Velociraptor ? :)

I'd like a ornithomimid of some sort..maybe struthiomimus ?

Paratrooper-raptor? No. Just no.

Trexroarr

Quote from: Takama on December 13, 2012, 03:41:39 AM
your correct. Besides, James said that the Deinotherium is going to be $19 ($20 if you include Tax in the states)

Exactly. If Deinotherium can be $20, then I'm sure a Sauropod could even be like $25, if need be. People would pay it.

SBell

Quote from: Trexroarr on December 13, 2012, 06:02:00 AM

Exactly. If Deinotherium can be $20, then I'm sure a Sauropod could even be like $25, if need be. People would pay it.

That's certainly true of the large Carnegies (~$30-35 for the new Brach and Diplo) or even large CollectA (~$25 for the Jobaria). We sold them at the museum shop (not necessarily a place for collectors) but those ones still went relatively fast.

Trexroarr

Quote from: SBell on December 13, 2012, 06:59:17 AM

That's certainly true of the large Carnegies (~$30-35 for the new Brach and Diplo) or even large CollectA (~$25 for the Jobaria). We sold them at the museum shop (not necessarily a place for collectors) but those ones still went relatively fast.

Yes, exactly. Even the new Papo Brachiosaurus is like $40 or so, isn't it? If everything is under the $20 mark except for some Sauropods, then I really don't see the harm at all. I just hope they are in 1/30 scale (like the 2013 prehistoric mammals). Like I said before, if Mojo can make it's prehistoric figures all in the same 1/30 scale (or as close to it as possible for smaller species), that would be absolutely amazing and a first for a toy company (besides Battat).

SBell

Quote from: Trexroarr on December 13, 2012, 07:06:29 AM

Yes, exactly. Even the new Papo Brachiosaurus is like $40 or so, isn't it? If everything is under the $20 mark except for some Sauropods, then I really don't see the harm at all. I just hope they are in 1/30 scale (like the 2013 prehistoric mammals). Like I said before, if Mojo can make it's prehistoric figures all in the same 1/30 scale (or as close to it as possible for smaller species), that would be absolutely amazing and a first for a toy company (besides Battat).

I would be cautious using Battat as an example for any kind of business model--that is the only large Museum-Quality line that did not survive the small burst of dino-making companies from the late 80s to the mid 90s; all of the others (Carnegie, Safari, Schleich, Bully) are still with us. Even Invicta remained in production longer! I could be wrong, but I don't recall any others from that era with equally large distribution (Papo came later).  For whatever reason, the Battat line did not grab the consumer market like the others (other than Bully, which has always been kind of low profile anyway), and not for lack of availability--I remember seeing the line in most toy stores (and never buying a single one).

Trexroarr

Quote from: SBell on December 13, 2012, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: Trexroarr on December 13, 2012, 07:06:29 AM

I would be cautious using Battat as an example for any kind of business model--that is the only large Museum-Quality line that did not survive the small burst of dino-making companies from the late 80s to the mid 90s; all of the others (Carnegie, Safari, Schleich, Bully) are still with us. Even Invicta remained in production longer! I could be wrong, but I don't recall any others from that era with equally large distribution (Papo came later).  For whatever reason, the Battat line did not grab the consumer market like the others (other than Bully, which has always been kind of low profile anyway), and not for lack of availability--I remember seeing the line in most toy stores (and never buying a single one).

I say Battat only because of how all of their figures were in the same scale. That is the only reason lol.

Simon

OTOH, I believe that the Battat toy company is still very much around - producing toys for younger kids.  Its also possible that this venture into quality pieces was just too far off their usual type of toys and that, combined with perhaps less than expected profits, may have contributed to their ending the line.

SBell

Quote from: Simon on December 13, 2012, 05:01:41 PM

OTOH, I believe that the Battat toy company is still very much around - producing toys for younger kids.  Its also possible that this venture into quality pieces was just too far off their usual type of toys and that, combined with perhaps less than expected profits, may have contributed to their ending the line.

Battat is around (so is Invicta, I think)--but we are talking about lines of museum-quality dinosaurs.  And this is the one line that didn't last.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: