News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CARNIFEX

Started by suspsy, October 24, 2022, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

We are seriously getting a horror flick about Thylacoleo!

https://youtu.be/Ter3I37UYq4
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I almost didn't click on it, assuming it was some straight to streaming/SyFy junk, but it actually looks surprisingly decent. Australia has a decent track record for creature features, I'm looking forward to this.

Faelrin

That sounds like a great idea for a horror film, and the trailer was well made. Hope the final film don't disappoint. Would love to see Thylacoleo get more attention (other then it already does in Ark: Survival Evolved).

Wonder if we'll get any scenes of it attacking from a tree like the above game, or drop bear myth? Either way I'm stoked. Just hope I have a way to watch this as I'm in the US.

I also hope it will be more like the modern wombat like reconstruction, versus the older lion one.

Edit: And you know hopefully another Thylacoleo figure out there someday.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dusty Wren

It is weird and kind of hilarious that we're getting a horror film with Thylacoleo as the villain, and I am absolutely going to watch this when it comes out.
Check out my customs thread!

Mellow Stego

Oh yeah, this has my attention.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Duna

A horror film about a wombat-like marsupial lion?  ;D

Concavenator

That looks cool! On a side note, it's funny how horror films in general are so similar to each other they look like copies, down to the same type of scenes, pretty much always the same background story...  :))

triceratops83

I just finished watching this on DVD, and it's definitely worth recommending. First off, this movie plays it pretty straight - it's not some cheap corny monster flick and is fairly realistic. The cinematography is beautiful, at times you feel like you're watching a documentary. The small cast showcases some fine acting and the characters themselves are likeable - you don't want anything bad to happen to them. They're not cliche horror movie stereotypes where you're just waiting for them to get bumped off. One's a Documentarian and the other two are Biologists cataloguing the return of wildlife to an area previously decimated by the recent bushfires, when they find a new, displaced species. Like any good creature feature, the Thylacoleo is hidden in the shadows for the most part, but is impressive when you do see it. Also it generally behaves like a real, albeit very dangerous animal, not a monster. While I personally don't get scared easily with these kind of movies, there is an air of tension that increases throughout the film, especially because you want these characters to survive, unlike many other horror flicks. Nothing over the top happens here - it's all pretty grounded and we can understand the motivations behind the decisions made by the characters, no one acts foolishly just because they're in a horror movie. The violence isn't extreme, it's mostly off camera, and not too gory - nothing really here that'll gross anyone out. The chills come mostly from the air of moody tension and ever present suspense.

All in all, a very well made and enjoyable movie. While younger viewers may find it a bit scary, I think everyone here will get a kick out Carnifex.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dynomikegojira

That's good to here although in my opinion Australia has always been good with there natural horror films like Rogue and The Reef so it's great too here that another exceptional one has been made.

Dyscrasia

I came here thinking that this thread was about the deathcore band Carnifex, but it turned out to be something quite interesting nonetheless.

Gwangi

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 12, 2023, 04:05:01 AMI just finished watching this on DVD, and it's definitely worth recommending. First off, this movie plays it pretty straight - it's not some cheap corny monster flick and is fairly realistic. The cinematography is beautiful, at times you feel like you're watching a documentary. The small cast showcases some fine acting and the characters themselves are likeable - you don't want anything bad to happen to them. They're not cliche horror movie stereotypes where you're just waiting for them to get bumped off. One's a Documentarian and the other two are Biologists cataloguing the return of wildlife to an area previously decimated by the recent bushfires, when they find a new, displaced species. Like any good creature feature, the Thylacoleo is hidden in the shadows for the most part, but is impressive when you do see it. Also it generally behaves like a real, albeit very dangerous animal, not a monster. While I personally don't get scared easily with these kind of movies, there is an air of tension that increases throughout the film, especially because you want these characters to survive, unlike many other horror flicks. Nothing over the top happens here - it's all pretty grounded and we can understand the motivations behind the decisions made by the characters, no one acts foolishly just because they're in a horror movie. The violence isn't extreme, it's mostly off camera, and not too gory - nothing really here that'll gross anyone out. The chills come mostly from the air of moody tension and ever present suspense.

All in all, a very well made and enjoyable movie. While younger viewers may find it a bit scary, I think everyone here will get a kick out Carnifex.

Thanks for the review! It sounds about how I expected it would be. Like D @Dynomikegojira said, Australia's creature features are usually pretty good. Looking forward to seeing this one!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.