News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

This is the first I've heard of Ruyangosaurus; although it does appear similar to Collecta's Mamenchisaurus, this figure honestly looks even more majestic in sculpt. I look forward to it.

Brightsoneus doesn't look quite as attractive as last week's Hadrosaurus, but another ornithopod is nonetheless welcome. I'm very likely to get this one.

I already have Favorite's soft model version of Anomalocaris (plus some minifigure versions either in storage or on order), but I'm happy to see another Cambrian toy released. Perhaps if this one sells well, we can get more Burgess Shale fauna in the future?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Dusty Wren on November 04, 2022, 02:18:54 AMSurprised that CollectA is coming out the gate with another Triceratops this year. I know it's a popular genus and all, but releasing two back-to-back is an odd choice.

the color on this one is much nicer, at least for my tastes

GojiraGuy1954

The CollectA Anomalocaris doesnt look particularly hard-shelled either
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for all the info there. Very much appreciate it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

alexeratops

I realize this conversation has already come and gone, but I wanted to put in my two cents.

I recently put a lot of time into researching the anatomy of Anomalocaris for an art piece I was working on for (shameless plug) @projectpaleozoo on Instagram. My piece has yet to be officially revealed, but that's beside the point. I will say that it's disappointing to see a number of small anatomical inaccuracies here and there, but I will admit I never would have noticed if not for my specific experience in researching them recently. It's sort of funny- if a dinosaur had these sorts of inaccuracies, I'm sure they'd stick out like a sore thumb to most of us, but since radiodonts like Anomalocaris are so unlike anything we have now, the inaccuracies seem to fly under the radar. I hope that more recent research on these animals' anatomy becomes more mainstream soon!

I'll definitely be picking up the figure regardless. I think I'll even have someone handy with a paintbrush repaint it to match the color scheme I decided on for the aforementioned Paleozoo project.
like a bantha!

Flaffy

For those curious about learning more about Anomalocaris, and how glaring the issues are on the CollectA and Houston Museum models, here's a thread made by @Fossil_TTTTT on Twitter:

And another great resource by Jun (@ni075) again, detailing Anomalocaris's gross anatomy. No reason why CollectA couldn't have referenced this, or the multitude of new papers describing & updating what we know about A. canadensis.

Concavenator

Is there any evidence for those triangular dermal spikes on the Ruyangosaurus' hip area in any titanosaur taxa? I've lost track of how many times I've seen them in modern titanosaur paleoart, and I'm simply curious why (not that this is any criticism to the figure ).

Overall, I'm very happy with these CollectA reveals, even if I'm not interested in any of the new figures so far, mostly due to the species choices. But they have noticeably improved from even recent years I'd say. Okay, I was interested in the Anomalocaris but if it's so outdated then I'll pass (thanks avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy for your input). The other figures are just very nice figures of they taxa they represent, but I'm simply not interested in getting figures of said taxa. I'm interested in a big, accurate titanosaur and this CollectA Ruyangosaurus looks great, but Ruyangosaurus itself I'm not too interested... I would've been more excited for a Patagotitan (yeah I agree this is how the Safari version should have been), Alamosaurus or Dreadnoughtus.

Looking forward to see the Mosasaurus, Stegouros, Koolasuchus and Shastasaurus.

profnik

That's what I think for the Safari ltd should make wild safari prehistoric world collection of Dreadnoughtus someday. :D

profnik

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 12, 2022, 12:50:24 AMIs there any evidence for those triangular dermal spikes on the Ruyangosaurus' hip area in any titanosaur taxa? I've lost track of how many times I've seen them in modern titanosaur paleoart, and I'm simply curious why (not that this is any criticism to the figure ).

Overall, I'm very happy with these CollectA reveals, even if I'm not interested in any of the new figures so far, mostly due to the species choices. But they have noticeably improved from even recent years I'd say. Okay, I was interested in the Anomalocaris but if it's so outdated then I'll pass (thanks avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy for your input). The other figures are just very nice figures of they taxa they represent, but I'm simply not interested in getting figures of said taxa. I'm interested in a big, accurate titanosaur and this CollectA Ruyangosaurus looks great, but Ruyangosaurus itself I'm not too interested... I would've been more excited for a Patagotitan (yeah I agree this is how the Safari version should have been), Alamosaurus or Dreadnoughtus.

Looking forward to see the Mosasaurus, Stegouros, Koolasuchus and Shastasaurus.

Flaffy

Quote from: profnik on November 12, 2022, 01:59:43 AMThat's what I think for the Safari ltd should make wild safari prehistoric world collection of Dreadnoughtus someday. :D

And hopefully not base it off the paper skeletal, like they did with the Patagotitan.

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 12, 2022, 12:50:24 AMIs there any evidence for those triangular dermal spikes on the Ruyangosaurus' hip area in any titanosaur taxa? I've lost track of how many times I've seen them in modern titanosaur paleoart, and I'm simply curious why (not that this is any criticism to the figure ).

Yes. Mostly inferred from a Spanish titanosaur. I've linked the paper below for further reading:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131861/

Faelrin

I really appreciate you sharing those Anomalocaris graphics. Gonna save them. To be honest despite it being one of my favorite prehistoric animals, I haven't been as well kept on its anatomy.

Anyways I am wondering how it scales with their marine tube mini Olenoides. Perhaps their Redlichia as well. And even though this model is inaccurate unfortunately, I'm still glad CollectA is continuing their trend of 1 Paleozoic animal a year (and/or mostly invertebrates), even if this is also one of the most popular ones. I think next year they should do a Tully monster or switch it up to a vertebrate again (such as the much needed Tiktaalik).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

profnik

:D I like the CollectA anomalocaris for 2023 2 days ago. Just like the safari ltd Cambrian era Toobs with figurine anomalocaris that I have it at home. An kinto favorite prehistoric collection anomalocaris with different sizes.

Safari Ltd Cambrian ERA Toobs

Concavenator

Libraraptor

I like the Anomalocaris and will buy myself one. One of the first top predators.

Halichoeres

I like the Ruyangosaurus and Brightsoneus, although I do wish the latter had a coat of paint more different from the Fukuisaurus. I wonder whether, without Beeson, future CollectA offerings will have fewer British dinosaurs.

The Anomalocaris doesn't look quite as mineralized/sclerotized as the Houston Museum model, but it also isn't up to the standards of CollectA's other invertebrates.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

More reveals coming tonight! Assuming the rest of the leaks are indeed legit, my bet is that we're going to see the Shastasaurus and the Mosasaurus this time and then Stegouros and the Koolasuchus will be the grand finale next week. :D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2022, 01:07:52 PMMore reveals coming tonight! Assuming the rest of the leaks are indeed legit, my bet is that we're going to see the Shastasaurus and the Mosasaurus this time and then Stegouros and the Koolasuchus will be the grand finale next week. :D

I refuse to participate in wish lists and gossip about predictions, but if those four are coming, the latter two are definite 'yes' (unless they are some Deluxe or Supreme scale)

Fembrogon

I would also be overjoyed to see a Koolasuchus at long last; Stegouros and Shastasaurus would be delightful as well.
Even the Mosasaurus would be welcome if it's good enough; a different mosasaur genus would be preferable, but there aren't all that many "good" Mosasaurus models on the market right now I can think of, either.

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2022, 01:07:52 PMmy bet is that we're going to see the Shastasaurus and the Mosasaurus this time

You were right.  :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: