News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2022/11/18/new-collecta-models-2023-part-3.html

Damn you, CollectA. I had resolved that I was perfectly happy with my 2014 Mosasaurus. And now you've gone and made me renege on that resolution! Just look at that bigger, beefier, badder, beautiful beast! 39 freaking cm long! Where the hell am I supposed to put it? :o

The Shastasaurus also looks quite nice. I especially like the killer whale-inspired colours. Glad it's not Deluxe size as well!

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

JimoAi

All I can say that the Mosasaurus is the best on currently! Though the 1:40 scale as usual isn't accurate considering a 12m individual unless they could get bigger. Though I prefer the 2014 one due to the size however that figure has got some serious shrinkwrapping

The shashtasaurus is nice but would be better to be larger unless it represents S.pacificus

Dusty Wren

I know Everything Dinosaur described the Shastasaurus' color scheme as orca-like, but it mostly looks like a big penguin to me. Still, nice to see CollectA do another ichthyosaur.
Check out my customs thread!

Flaffy

I really wish they had sculpted the Shastasaurus with it's mouth closed. At least with the Mosasaurus, it includes an articulated jaw for increased poseability. Minor gripe aside, it looks good so far! Always nice to see CollectA expanding plastic Icthyosaur diverty, followed by PNSO of course. Digging the penguine-like colour scheme / patterning; and it's nice to see Shastasaurus being depicted as such rather than just a scaled down Shonisaurus. IIRC newer reconstructions depict Shastasaurus as a much sleeker animal than the even more massive Shonisaurus?

Loving the Mosasaurus, from what I can see it has proper Mosasaurus proportions too instead of Tylosaurus-like proportions (another reason why I'm not using PNSO's Tylosaurus as Mosasaurus). Big step up from their previous attempt, and to my knowledge the only proper Mosasaurus on the market.

Top: Old CollectA Mosasaurus;  Middle: Scott Hartman's Tylosaurus;  Bottom: PWNZ3R-Dragon's Mosasaurus.

Flaffy

Also, I guess this all but confirms the last two reveals being Koolasuchus and Stegouros! Bring them on! ;D

Pliosaurking

Now that's what I'm talking about! These both look fantastic especially that Mosasaurus!

Faelrin

Oh these two look fantastic. I was eyeing the old CollectA Mosasaurus for a while now but guess this is better to go with. I really like the skin detail on that close up pic. I agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy in that it's quite a big one. Like half the size of the Mattel one just about.

Looking forward to the Stegouros and Koolasuchus next week hopefully, the latter of which I've been wanting for quite a while now.

Edit: Would this be their first year without an extinct Cenozoic animal if that holds true? A bit strange for them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

I really like those 2 for the most part and I will probably be adding them to my wishlist, but I'll admit I find the Globidens teeth on the Mosasaurus to be off-putting (seriously CollectA, the 2014 one got that right...).

Also what Shastasaurus species is that meant to represent? Anyone knows? avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum  O:-)

dinofelid

Quote from: Flaffy on November 18, 2022, 02:24:09 AMLoving the Mosasaurus, from what I can see it has proper Mosasaurus proportions too instead of Tylosaurus-like proportions (another reason why I'm not using PNSO's Tylosaurus as Mosasaurus). Big step up from their previous attempt, and to my knowledge the only proper Mosasaurus on the market.

In terms of accuracy, where would you say it improves on the 2019 PNSO Mosasaurus?

Flaffy

Quote from: dinofelid on November 18, 2022, 02:50:02 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 18, 2022, 02:24:09 AMLoving the Mosasaurus, from what I can see it has proper Mosasaurus proportions too instead of Tylosaurus-like proportions (another reason why I'm not using PNSO's Tylosaurus as Mosasaurus). Big step up from their previous attempt, and to my knowledge the only proper Mosasaurus on the market.

In terms of accuracy, where would you say it improves on the 2019 PNSO Mosasaurus?

Just at a glance, the PNSO Mosasaurus suffers from a couple of issues:
- Tail is too long
- Distal end (of the tail) tapers too much when it should be more robust
- Digits overly exposed, almost like it's suffering from localised wasting in it's flippers
- Flipper shape might not be correct(?)
- Skull is too long and gracile, was very robust in Mosasaurus

And personally, the soft tissue is much more convincing on the CollectA compared to PNSO's. Especially around the head.

I'm hesitant to comment on the CollectA since there aren't any proper side views. But to me it looks better than the PNSO. I'm sure avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum could tell you way more about the two though.

Concavenator

Thank you for sharing that info with us, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy

BTW, do you know what species these are? I did a quick research and S.pacificus seems to be fragmentary, and not sure about M.hoffmani either.

TheCambrianCrusader

Holy... that is one amazing Mosasaurus, definitely the best on the market.
Also a bit late but while that Anomalocaris def has flaws I still think its one of the better figures available and I'm way too much of a paleozoic fanboy to not get it.

BlueKrono

Well I'm tremendously excited. That's four of their figures I'll need next year... five if they make a Koolasuchus.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Personally I think the leaks spoiled the fun of having the traditional Friday reveal in this case.  I'd rather have waited a couple of weeks and found out on the nominated Friday morning.

TheCambrianCrusader

The barnacles on the Shastasaurus is a really nice touch. Always love to see more Triassic representation. Can't wait for the Stegouros and Koolasuchus

Flaffy

EverythingDinosaur's response regarding specific species ID:

" We are not aware of any species of Mosasaurus being defined by CollectA.  As for the Shastasaurus figure the Orca inspired colouration infers that this represents an ichthyosaur of similar size so perhaps the type species Shastasaurus pacificus.

However, the presence of barnacles on the model which suggests a much larger animal comparable to some of the larger cetaceans around today, so possibly S. sikanniensis although CollectA have not provided additional information to give you a definitive answer."

Bread

Oh my!!!!!

I've been looking for a Mosasaur for a bit now. PNSO's looked weird to me, CollectA's old version was okay, but this newer variant is exceptional! It looks great! Definitely need a repaint to represent a certain media O:-)

Shastasaurus is one species I am just now learning about. Most likely a pass for now. Looks great though!

Now bring on the Koolasuchus!!!

bmathison1972

I was only going to get the rough collie from round 3, but excitement on the DTF makes me wonder if I should get the Mosasaurus (you guys are all way more knowledgeable about how they should look than I!!!!)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: