News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Between Eikoh and Kaiyodo I have been spoiled for choice with Cenozoic stuff this past year. Finally got an Arsinoitherium, giant moa, Synthetoceras, Thylacosmilus, and others I've long wanted in my collection. Granted all of these are on the small scale and probably don't work completely alongside the rest of my extinct Cenozoic collection, but better then not I say.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I'd forgotten about the Eikoh ones! With so many other companies active, maybe somebody else will come through in 2023 for Cenozoic fans.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

JimoAi

Koolasuchisbis Abit of a disappointment at least for me

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Shame that the Stegouros is that big, it would have been a must buy if it was smaller. But happy for people who like bigger figures!

Fembrogon

It only now occurs to me how unaccustomed I am to seeing an open-mouthed Koolasuchus.  :))
I'm very excited for this, though! I'll be sure to get the big amphibian for myself. Stegouros moght prove a bit to big for me, but we'll see. All in all a nice selection of figures for 2023!

suspsy

Again, I'm perfectly fine with the Stegouros' size; it'll help showcase the animal's wonderful tail very nicely.

CollectA has once again beaten both Papo and Schleich in terms of numbers, diversity, and overall quality. Mojo Fun has yet to reveal their 2023 assortment, but given that their last two consisted of one prehistoric mammal apiece, I don't have high hopes. Although maybe they'll be the company that finally delivers a new Megatherium? We shall see.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

The Koolasuchus is an absolute must have. So great to get a prehistoric amphibian and I want to encourage CollectA to make more. Hopefully it will sell well due to its presence in WWD.

All in all, a great lineup. Lots of figures I want to buy but the Koolasuchus and Hadrosaurus are top priority for me.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'll admit it looks kind of strange to see a koolasuchus that isn't black.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Ikessauro

I love the new models, except the Stegouros colors. The Koolasuchus is a must for me, the green color suits it very well. I also like it is a deluxe figure, as is Stegouros, a nice surprise, since a larger figure can be more detailed.

I must say, CollectA should retire this color pallete for a while  ;D

Faelrin

I'm so glad to see the Koolasuchus and Stegourus leaks were true after all. The Stegouros is quite nice, but I would have preferred it in a smaller scale, considering it was a rather small animal. Perhaps one day. They have taken some of their Deluxe sized models and put them in the standard scale like the Baryonyx and Deinocheirus if I recall correctly.

I really like that Koolasuchus though. About time we get a figure of it. Or another I suppose, since Paleo-Creatures did do one (and has a similar coloration, or well at least it was green). I think this is the first plastic version though.

A decent enough year with plenty of fresh faces, many that were recently described, and only a few that have plenty of alternatives on the market (Anomalocaris, Triceratops, and maybe Mosasaurus, but I think this is the most accurate version yet). It also looks like CollectA has seen some of the suggestions in the hopes and dreams thread. From what I skimmed, I did I see at least Ceratosuchops, Stegouros, Koolasuchus, and anything from the Cambrian/Paleozoic have been addressed at least, if not anything else.

Edit: avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro That is a lot of orange and brown. Kind of fallen into a similar trap as Safari Ltd and PNSO recently have as well, as many of their figures also suffer from too much brown and yellow. Though to be fair, of all those above at least Borealopelta does have some indication of its coloration that they went with. Otherwise I certainly agree with you. At least much of this year's roster goes into a different direction such as the newest green Koolasuchus, or the penguin like Shastasaurus.

I've also forgotten to mention this earlier, but I'm honestly impressed they've only put out one therapod for this year, and a recently described one as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Renecito

I love them both, specially the Koolasuchus.

(I am also excited to see the Angel shark and North Pacific right whale, Paleofiguras mentioned something about those last week I hope they are Collecta figures for 2023.)
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Lynx

I'm a little disappointed that the leaks were true, but their cool. I probably won't be picking anything up this year besides the Ceratosuchops and maybe the Shastasaurus and Mosasaurus.

Nothing wrong with any of the figures, all are top notch in the accuracy and detail department, I'm just not a fan of them for some reason.

These two releases look alright, being a fan of Ankylosaurids or anything of the sort, the Stegouros is the more appealing of the duo. Wish it had a different color scheme, but I cant complain much. All the releases were splendid in their own right.
An oversized house cat.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Faelrin on November 25, 2022, 03:05:17 AMThough to be fair, of all those above at least Borealopelta does have some indication of its coloration that they went with. Otherwise I certainly agree with you. At least much of this year's roster goes into a different direction such as the newest green Koolasuchus, or the penguin like Shastasaurus.

I've also forgotten to mention this earlier, but I'm honestly impressed they've only put out one therapod for this year, and a recently described one as well.

Agreed. Also, the mammals get a pass, since most mammals tend to be brownish anyway. But the others could have benefited from bolder colors. Also, didn't really notice the single Theropod. Yay for herbivores!

Brontozaurus

As someone whose collecting interests lean heavily towards Weird Southern Hemisphere Genera, the Koolasuchus and Stegorous are going to be day 1 purchases. I like that they'll be reasonably sizable as well, since I'll be putting them up on display.

Other than those ones I'm considering Ruyangosaurus for some titanosaurian goodness, and Hadrosaurus because it was all over my dinosaur books as a kid and I'm feeling some nostalgia for it.

Is it odd that I'm actually happy enough with CollectA's previous Mosasaurus that I don't feel a need to buy this new one? I know it's not as accurate but I adore the presentation of the older Mosa.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Flaffy

The Stegouros is cute. Probably too large for my liking though. We'll see if it's nice enough to justify getting despite the size, as Paleokhris's smaller scale Stegouros is already a very nice reconstruction.

The colour is passable, but awfully dull... very reminicent of Safari's constant use of their shade of brown. I would've loved to see the STegouros, or any ankylosaur for that matter have a colour scheme inspired by box turtles, similar to the Saurian Ankylosaurus.

Happy to see a prehistoric amphibian! And surprised to see Koolasuchus take so long to receive any attention at all. Not sure how I feel about the integument though. I get that some amphibians had bumpy skin, but the sculpt just looks like it has scales. Would've greatly preferred something like Gabriel's reconstruction of the currently unnamed 'Beast of Lesotho'.

I just find the soft tissue of the artwork a lot more convincing than CollectA's figure; especially how the legs connect with the body like in extant Giant Salamanders, rather than awkwardly jutting out the sides of the torso not dissimilar to shrink-wrapped reconstructions of legged-cetaceans. Hopefully more angles will clear things up.

Also A @austrosaurus O:-)
Quote from: austrosaurus on November 04, 2022, 08:55:11 PMI can almost guarantee that the Koolasuchus "leak" is false.

bmathison1972

In case I missed it, how big will the Koolasuchus be? I see the Stegouros appears to be '1:6' which means it will be too big for me (much like their Protoceratops, I has assumed).

Odobenocetops

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 25, 2022, 12:12:10 PMIn case I missed it, how big will the Koolasuchus be? I see the Stegouros appears to be '1:6' which means it will be too big for me (much like their Protoceratops, I has assumed).

21cm, so around 1:25

Thialfi

Woooow these look fantastic. A Koolasuchus, how amazing is that? I really like the Stegouros as well, and although too large for my collection I don't think I can resist the temptation.

Strong outing from CollectA this year with a lot of unique and first time creatures. What a time to be collector.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: