You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Why fight with your head when you can fight with your feet?

Started by suspsy, November 08, 2022, 10:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Guess the various japanese media depicting them as boxers were up to something. There were probably still headbutts involved.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

andrewsaurus rex

Very interesting but it doesn't really explain why Pachy would have a super thick skull if it kick boxed and it doesn't explain the injuries noted on the tops of  skulls of Pachy's, which have been interpreted as damage from head butting.  And two round heads pushing against each other, like Sumos, is even less likely than ramming, as the round shape would slip off the opposing round skull almost immediately, making the contest rather pointless.....at least with a ramming you could do some damage to your opponent with a split second glancing impact, but not with a split second push.

Perhaps Pachy's could have kick boxed each other and rammed predators (eg in the ribs).

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 That's what I'm wondering as well. There's certainly evidence to suggest they used their heads in some way, and if this holds up, then this will be evidence to show they did this as well. All in all pachycephalosaurs are certainly an interesting group of animals, despite most being pretty fragmentary. What we do have does show they are pretty unique among Dinosauria though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Or, heads intraspecifically, and kicks against predators.

Shane

It's interesting that the article says the conclusion was reached after analysis of a "well preserved" skeleton of P. wyomingensis.

I was under the impression that only skull material was known from Pachycephalosaurus proper, and that the rest of its anatomy is speculated from other pachycephalosaur remains.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shane on November 09, 2022, 08:29:54 PMIt's interesting that the article says the conclusion was reached after analysis of a "well preserved" skeleton of P. wyomingensis.

I was under the impression that only skull material was known from Pachycephalosaurus proper, and that the rest of its anatomy is speculated from other pachycephalosaur remains.

Tom Holtz implied on FB that there is a new specimen used in this study.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 09, 2022, 07:58:28 PMOr, heads intraspecifically, and kicks against predators.

Potentially.  I said it the other way around just because ramming domed heads together has long been considered impractical.  Head butting would better explain the observed skull damage, though.

A complete skeleton makes this all the more interesting.

So, is the implication with the kangaroo comparison that Pachy kicked with both feet at once?  Ostriches and Cassowaries kick too, which would intuitively seem the more likely way Pachycephalosaurus would kick.......what are their spines like?

Halichoeres

I was looking for a paper, but I guess this is just an SVP presentation. It does seem like the kickboxing angle kind of buries the lede; a reasonably complete postcranium is the real news.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Absolutely. Very happy to learn that more Pachycephalosaurus remains have been found! IIRC it's only known from skull material, so it's great that we will soon be having a more complete image of such an iconic dinosaur. Looking forward to see the skeletal. I imagine that will also help clarify whether or not the so called Dracorex and Stygimoloch are juvenile P.wyomingensis individuals after all or if they're their own thing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.