News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on July 16, 2023, 09:13:01 PMDidn't the Morrison formation also have multiple species of sauropods within the same genera co-existing as well?
I think it might be the case, looking on Wikipedia the two Apatosaurus species both come from the same unit and some other Morrison sauropod genera also have two species from the same unit.

Quote from: Faelrin on July 16, 2023, 09:13:01 PMMight very well be one of the most diverse dinosaur ecosystems out there
Yes, the Morrison Formation is amazing!

Quote from: Faelrin on July 16, 2023, 09:13:01 PMThere's also the thing where one species evolves into the next, which I think has happened with Pachyrhinosaurus, and other ceratopsians? That's what I was expecting earlier with Allosaurus species in particular.
I think you're right about it happening with Pachyrhinosaurus, it's also happened with Triceratops and Daspletosaurus and Psittacosaurus, protoceratopsids and centrosaurines and chasmosaurines.  I get the impression Hesperosaurus evolved into Stegosaurus too, and Meraxes into Mapusaurus.
Since Allosaurus fragilis and Stegosaurus ungulatus are not present in the middle Morrison Formation, I wonder if they evolved from A. jimmadseni and S. stenops respectively, while the ancestral species continued existing alongside them?  Is this possible?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 16, 2023, 06:17:51 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 16, 2023, 05:50:57 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 16, 2023, 05:14:38 PMUhhh... sorry to differ from the discussion of the new Allosaurus and all, but this was shared by paleofiguras on facebook.

Can anyone translate? From what I get it is an Alamosaurus rumor.
I hope its Brachiosaurus
Others are excited but I am think about tge shipping cost >:D
I hope they make it either
attachable for assembling so it thats less space

or hollow.

Rumours of S.ungulatus are also exciting.
Does anyone know how long they figures stay in stock before they discontinue?

Sorry but I would have to disagree to this. If anything bothers me about dinosaur figures, it is if you see clear seam lines between body and tail or body and neck, or even more than that. This is the main reason why neither the Rebor Diplodocus nor the Nanmu Apatosaurus were an option for me. It would be really a waste if Haolonggood would sacrifice on the quality of the figure for saving a few bucks in shipping costs. Realistically these large sauropods will only be bought by serious collectors. Considering that the Apatosaurus was about 100 USD (with discounts maybe a bit less), an even larger sauropod will probably cost 150 USD. At this price tag, the shipping costs would only be a moderate fraction of the price of the product. Lana Time Shop for example offers decent shipping rates. I got my brown Haolonggood Apatosaurus from them and shipping to Germany was even free. I paid 20 USD in shipping for my Nanmu large Brachiosaurus.
It's not THAT noticeable, and theres many interesting methods of avoiding such problems, check out the Terra Models? Patagotitan. Its plenty bigger bit only costs 90 USD or so, and is on resin kit levels.
Not to mention simply adding miliput and matching the colors goes a long way.
It is not a damage to quality

ceratopsian

If I simply added milliput and tried to match the colours, the result is always going to be easy to see. Unless I send it off to an artist who would have a good eye for colour and a good range of paints available. So I see it as a definite loss of quality. The mechanism of the Patagotitan you mention is also rather different. As I understand it, it screws tightly into place. Also it's not mass produced. They're produced individually to order. 

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 16, 2023, 10:43:06 PMIf I simply added milliput and tried to match the colours, the result is always going to be easy to see. Unless I send it off to an artist who would have a good eye for colour and a good range of paints available. So I see it as a definite loss of quality. The mechanism of the Patagotitan you mention is also rather different. As I understand it, it screws tightly into place. Also it's not mass produced. They're produced individually to order. 
Wouldn't a indivually produced thing be more expensive on average. Mass production is often cheaper per item.
And the Mechanism is a bit different but still the general idea

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have a lot of Brachiosaurs..would love an Alamosaurus.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Bread on July 16, 2023, 05:14:38 PMUhhh... sorry to differ from the discussion of the new Allosaurus and all, but this was shared by paleofiguras on facebook.

I hope for real to be an Alamosaurus. Brachiosaurus/(Giraffatitan) has gained too much appreciation by the JP/JW franchise and has plenty of models to choose from, meanwhile Alamosaurus is surprisingly not.
Although, I would rather expect some pronunciated osteoderms on such a titanosaurid model, the sole paintless model looks astonishing, for whoever sauropod it is.

Daydreaming also, I could hope for a nice Magnapaulia and Shantugosaurus model, it would be magnificent.  ;D

In the meantime I think I'll be saving for more Haolonggood's herbivores and BOTM 1/18 releases.

ceratopsian

I think the screw mechanism gives a better fit.  And the maker will check that fit on your personal model before sending it.

To be honest, I am so acutely aware of joins that I can find even a seam line created in the production process of a single-piece animal very distracting.  And it's the main reason I dislike articulated jaws so heartily.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 16, 2023, 11:23:19 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on July 16, 2023, 10:43:06 PMIf I simply added milliput and tried to match the colours, the result is always going to be easy to see. Unless I send it off to an artist who would have a good eye for colour and a good range of paints available. So I see it as a definite loss of quality. The mechanism of the Patagotitan you mention is also rather different. As I understand it, it screws tightly into place. Also it's not mass produced. They're produced individually to order. 
Wouldn't a indivually produced thing be more expensive on average. Mass production is often cheaper per item.

thomasw100

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 16, 2023, 10:08:06 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on July 16, 2023, 06:17:51 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 16, 2023, 05:50:57 PM

I hope its Brachiosaurus
Others are excited but I am think about tge shipping cost >:D
I hope they make it either
attachable for assembling so it thats less space

or hollow.

Rumours of S.ungulatus are also exciting.
Does anyone know how long they figures stay in stock before they discontinue?

Sorry but I would have to disagree to this. If anything bothers me about dinosaur figures, it is if you see clear seam lines between body and tail or body and neck, or even more than that. This is the main reason why neither the Rebor Diplodocus nor the Nanmu Apatosaurus were an option for me. It would be really a waste if Haolonggood would sacrifice on the quality of the figure for saving a few bucks in shipping costs. Realistically these large sauropods will only be bought by serious collectors. Considering that the Apatosaurus was about 100 USD (with discounts maybe a bit less), an even larger sauropod will probably cost 150 USD. At this price tag, the shipping costs would only be a moderate fraction of the price of the product. Lana Time Shop for example offers decent shipping rates. I got my brown Haolonggood Apatosaurus from them and shipping to Germany was even free. I paid 20 USD in shipping for my Nanmu large Brachiosaurus.
It's not THAT noticeable, and theres many interesting methods of avoiding such problems, check out the Terra Models? Patagotitan. Its plenty bigger bit only costs 90 USD or so, and is on resin kit levels.
Not to mention simply adding miliput and matching the colors goes a long way.
It is not a damage to quality

I think it depends very much on the person who looks at a figure if these seams are noticeable or not. For my part, I simply notice them right away and it really bothers me. You might be able to not notice it too much or be able to tolerate it. People are obviously different in their perception. And not everybody has the ability to work with miliput and repainting part of a model. Again people are different. The bottom line is that a model has to be able to appeal to the majority of people (i.e. convincing them to purchase it) without them having to modify it or even send it to an expensive art studio to fix it. Saving 50 USD in shipping costs and then spending 400 USD for shipping it back and forth to an art studio and getting it fixed up is not a real deal.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 17, 2023, 08:13:33 AMI think the screw mechanism gives a better fit.  And the maker will check that fit on your personal model before sending it.

To be honest, I am so acutely aware of joins that I can find even a seam line created in the production process of a single-piece animal very distracting.  And it's the main reason I dislike articulated jaws so heartily.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 16, 2023, 11:23:19 PM

I very much sympathize with you. Unfortunately the articulated jaws have become the norm for most carnivore figures and even for some herbivores now. Sometimes one really needs to make a choice between the overall quality of a model on one side and accepting a model with articulated jaws on the other side. This is why finally I made up my mind and got the Triceratops, Torosaurus, Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus from PNSO.

Bread

Eofauna and Haolonggood have proven that they do not need detachable parts for sauropods. So I wouldn't worry.

Besides we are mainly judging this upon Rebor's and Nanmu's takes on sauropods.

For one, Nanmu only did this with their Apatosaurus which I might add was one of their early models.

Another, Rebor's are rubberized (or rubber-like) materials for their detachable tails, which I despise as they usually don't connect or sit flush with the harder plastic body.

As avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian noted, the screw mechanism could work very well, with very little or at all seamline being noticeable. I agree with this notion if it were to happen.

SidB

That's a good survey of the history of the approaches, avatar_Bread @Bread - quite informative.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Bread @Bread but eofauna is less than half the price.

But i am glad many of us find a common ground with screw implementation

ceratopsian

I compromise on the articulated jaws T @thomasw100.  I don't buy as many theropods anyway, as I'm more interested in ornithischians on the whole. I have the four PNSO models you list.  It's just a preference for me but an articulated jaw isn't a dealbreaker if a model appeals to me enough in other respects.

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 17, 2023, 05:10:44 PMavatar_Bread @Bread but eofauna is less than half the price.

It's important to be acutely aware that a large percentage of our members don't necessarily have deep pockets, so relative value becomes very important for them. this is why Safari, for instance, has such a historically large and valued role amongst us, IMO.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 17, 2023, 05:32:35 PMI compromise on the articulated jaws T @thomasw100.  I don't buy as many theropods anyway, as I'm more interested in ornithischians on the whole. I have the four PNSO models you list.  It's just a preference for me but an articulated jaw isn't a dealbreaker if a model appeals to me enough in other respects.
Commenting, from the outside of the conversation, the matter of the non-presence of jaw articulation on the two different magnetically attached, lipped W-Dragon rex heads attracted me. Mind you, there's the collateral issue of a seam at the back of the interchangeable heads. Perfection seems impossibly elusive!

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 17, 2023, 05:32:35 PMI compromise on the articulated jaws T @thomasw100.  I don't buy as many theropods anyway, as I'm more interested in ornithischians on the whole. I have the four PNSO models you list.  It's just a preference for me but an articulated jaw isn't a dealbreaker if a model appeals to me enough in other respects.

This is exactly my approach as well. I was really taking my time to make up my mind if I should get these four PNSO models, but then their overall quality has really convinced me to get them. I know that many people criticize the color schemes of PNSO these days, but for my personal taste they are just about right. The earth tones, the gradients, the subtle accents, and the few but always decent highlights, for me this is the perfect combination of color effects. Right now I essentially collect herbivores, with some preference for sauropods. From the theropods so far I only got the Deinocheirus and the Therizinosaurus. I am considering to perhaps expand a little bit here into piscivores though.

Sim

I'm fine with articulated jaws as PNSO does them.  But I would never want a figure with magnets, that just makes it into something that I don't want.  I wouldn't want a sauropod that came in pieces either.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 17, 2023, 05:10:44 PMavatar_Bread @Bread but eofauna is less than half the price.

Are you comparing Eofauna's less than half the price of Rebor's/Nanmu's?
Slightly confused on that matter.

I just hope Haolonggood does these large sauropods, and we can worry about the issue of detachable parts later. In my opinion at least, if they want to do these sauropods like their Apatosaurus, it would be easier for them to just have no detachable parts and avoid the quality control issues.

From what we all know, those detachable tails can be a pain to get to sit flush connected to the body, like others have said too.

Halichoeres

Two questions: 1) Are we sure that model has anything to do with Haolonggood? 2) What was the source of the rumor that they would be making a megaraptoran? There doesn't seem to be any concrete indication of that so far.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Samrukia

Quote from: Concavenator on April 23, 2023, 12:41:18 PM

Credit: Paleo-Nerd

Here's the... surprise?

Any guesses?

Hoping it will be an Anchiceratops, but particularly hoping it won't be the problematic Nedoceratops.

I think this means we'll be getting a megaraptorid, a sauropod and a stegosaurid too sometime soon, based on these teasers:

And: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid09hoJUEkgDzK838BsaGQawC8GgcYGTA4KA7HRRAcuW98JiMquheBNvRN5HDVhnNP2l&id=100066892290400

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: