News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Here is a closest we have so far of the Allosaurus' mouth.

Me personally, I think this is fine for no lips. The teeth aren't hanging out or too long. They're tiny but they're there.

Here is another photo with the Apatosaurus

cryolophosaurus

Why wouldn't it be possible to add lips on the model aside from the size of teeth? Does it have to do with stress from the articulated jaw when lips are added with the teeth being finely sculpted? Personally don't understand since most models with lips pull it well. Though smaller models with lips (ex. safari ltd Allosaurus and Dilophosaurus) either seem to have the mouth fully closed or kept open.I wouldnt mind at all if the mouth just stayed open (non articulated) but had oral tissue.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on July 18, 2023, 07:00:23 PMWhy wouldn't it be possible to add lips on the model aside from the size of teeth?

My guess is that, when you have an articulated jaw, the upper row of teeth needs to slot into a space between the lower row of teeth and the lower lip. That space would be incredibly narrow on a figure this small. It would be difficult to mold and cast a sculpt with that extra level of complexity, let alone get a paintbrush in between the lip and the teeth for painting.
Check out my customs thread!

Fembrogon

I appreciate the information about the sculpting challenges, V @vampiredesign; we're quite spoiled to have such direct communication regarding the design process.
I would agree with those who say the shape of the skull looks a little odd; it reminds me of older reconstructions from the 2000s and prior when the head had a more rounded shape. The choice for no lips is reasonable, though, given the focus on a sturdy product. The rest of the body looks very nice, especially those robust arms.
...And the blue variant is the better of the two, no question about it. I can see the blue Allo and brown Apato making a particularly striking pair!

Stegotyranno420

I hate to be THAT guy, but I am not a big fan. I applaud the sculptor but it isn't my cup of tea. I vastly prefer PNSO's more natural take.
Once again, appreciate the sculptwork and effort

Flaffy

Body sculpt looks great, not a big fan of the head though. Doesn't look very fragilis to me, nor does it looks particularly jimmadseni-like; so will probably be picking up Safari's version instead. Will wait for further video reviews.

Skorpio V.

My main cripes with the headsculpt are the antorbital fossa being squished by the lacrimals and the lack of a protruding jugal. This figure looks more closely based on Majungasaurus than any Allosaurus specimen.
From left to right is the original headsculpt, my edit if it more closely followed fragilis, and my edit if it more closely followed europaeus.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Haolonggood's Allosaurus is now on sale from My Online Toy Store at 19.99 usd each (without box).
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msH3gVg
P.s. excellent info avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. , what a pity to know about this sculpt issue.

dragon53

Flaffy

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 19, 2023, 12:47:54 AMMy main cripes with the headsculpt are the antorbital fossa being squished by the lacrimals and the lack of a protruding jugal. This figure looks more closely based on Majungasaurus than any Allosaurus specimen.
From left to right is the original headsculpt, my edit if it more closely followed fragilis, and my edit if it more closely followed europaeus.

Thanks for the edit. Unfortunately this confirmed my suspicions. Some people I've chatted to have suggested a AMNH 600 affinity, but personally it just looks like BBC's WWD "Big Al" skull to me. Outdated proportions and all.

Bread

Yeah, I completely agree with this assessment of the Allosaurus. Once I saw the edits + Bil Al picture I was hit with "Oh yep, that looks off."

Despite it's anatomical issues with the head sculpt, I'll certainly be buying both as $20 for each figure, I certainly see this as the plus side of things. Again, we've come to know that price is really a factor when purchasing models. Like the discussion of PNSO, is it worth it despite the issues it has? I think so, but again, I completely agree with and understand those who are opposed.

Faelrin

Oh that's too bad. I was thinking it might be A. jimmadseni, like based on comparing it to this image on wikipedia (plus the side profile pics of the skulls out there), but you all know way better about this then I do.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Faelrin on July 19, 2023, 04:42:14 AMOh that's too bad. I was thinking it might be A. jimmadseni, like based on comparing it to this image on wikipedia (plus the side profile pics of the skulls out there), but you all know way better about this then I do.

I referenced my edits on this exact diagram. I was legit gave up on jimmadseni because of how different it was to the model, it was that much of a struggle. I'll try again tomorrow to see if today was just an off day but yeah. To be fair, they share the fairly flat upper jaw lining, but with how boxy the snout is, it was more likely based on an outdated fragilis skull cast.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Faelrin

avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. Yeah that boxy snout, compared with the flatter jawline was what was throwing me off with the earlier images. Any idea if the crest shape matches A. jimmadseni or one of the others either? Worth looking at further just in case.

Maybe once in hand samples come forth folks, it might be easier to get an idea of what's going on. Might also be helpful if we knew what reference material they worked from too, outdated or otherwise.

Edit: I mean at least it isn't like the Mattel ones post BaBR where the crests are over the eyes and not in front of them. I don't even think the final adult Allosaurus JW design suffers from that, just the earlier unused BaBR concept piece from what I recall.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TheImmortalEye

Sad it isnt a manaraptorid , allosaurus is great and im still gonna get it ( the fact u can get both of these for similar to one pnso allosaurus, a figure with def issues is insane value to me)

But i just hope the next theropod after announced ones is a megalosaur ( would work best with haolonggoods texture my opinion as i headcanon megalosaurs more scaly and ratty than other carnivores)

The dilophosaurus is a must when it comes

Remko

Paleofiguras has posted some nice photo's of the new Allosaurus figures with a white background, so you can better see what the sculpt looks like.

I'm not impressed with the Allosaurus.
Their herbivores are all fantastic, but for now I have zero interest in any of the theropods. 

SRF

If I'm totally honest, I don't think this Allosaurus is an improvement over that T. Rex from last year. I even like that one better than this Allosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on July 19, 2023, 09:21:30 AMSad it isnt a manaraptorid , allosaurus is great and im still gonna get it ( the fact u can get both of these for similar to one pnso allosaurus, a figure with def issues is insane value to me)
Here are a few of those photos you mentioned, thank you:

SidB

Quote from: Remko on July 19, 2023, 10:54:26 AMPaleofiguras has posted some nice photo's of the new Allosaurus figures with a white background, so you can better see what the sculpt looks like.

I'm not impressed with the Allosaurus.
Their herbivores are all fantastic, but for now I have zero interest in any of the theropods. 
Even the carcharodontosaurus?

Stegotyranno420

Their Carcharodontosaurus was divine and Spinosaurus was cool

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: