News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

It reminds me of the Favorite Allosaurus.

Remko

Quote from: SidB on July 19, 2023, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: Remko on July 19, 2023, 10:54:26 AMPaleofiguras has posted some nice photo's of the new Allosaurus figures with a white background, so you can better see what the sculpt looks like.

I'm not impressed with the Allosaurus.
Their herbivores are all fantastic, but for now I have zero interest in any of the theropods. 
Even the carcharodontosaurus?

No, not even the Carcharodontosaurus.
Even with the flaws, I prefer the PNSO version.

Sim

I would be curious to see how the Haolonggood Allosaurus compares to Allosaurus jimmadseni remains.  To me it clearly looks like A. jimmadseni.

I too am not liking this Allosaurus.  It doesn't look much better than the Haolonggood Tyrannosaurus...  The 2023 Haolonggood plant-eaters are so much better than this Allosaurus, I don't understand why there's such a quality difference.  Why does the Allosaurus have a shrink-wrapped head?  Why is it not as good as the Haolonggood Carcharodontosaurus and 2023 herbivores?  The Haolonggood Dilophosaurus looks excellent though, I'm looking forward to it!

Samrukia

i like it despite all mentioned flaws, it says Big Al in my profile after all  :D
ordered blue variant from My Online Toy Store, $19 shipment incl.

Sim

I've been trying to buy a couple of Haolonggood figures on Aliexpress, but in the shopping cart page there's a broken image.  So, I tried buying each figure separately, but after I try logging in it just takes me to a login page.  The email address and password I put in aren't incorrect.  I've tried logging in a number of times but it just keeps taking me to a login page.  So I can't buy the figures.  Can anyone help with this?

Samrukia

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2023, 04:26:08 PMI've been trying to buy a couple of Haolonggood figures on Aliexpress, but in the shopping cart page there's a broken image.  So, I tried buying each figure separately, but after I try logging in it just takes me to a login page.  The email address and password I put in aren't incorrect.  I've tried logging in a number of times but it just keeps taking me to a login page.  So I can't buy the figures.  Can anyone help with this?

i buy stuff using phone app, logging in as my google account

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Is the region for you correct? Sometimes Aliexpress will load up in a random region. I know I frequently have to correct it to be the US before I even attempt to sign in.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

For what it is I think this is a pretty darn good Allosaurus. The Safari Allosaurus is the only decent one in a similar price bracket, about $15. It's an alright figure but just like this Haolonggood one it isn't perfect. I was never a fan of the paintjob or exaggerated pose so I never got it.

The PNSO Allosaurus is likewise not perfect. Never was a fan of that paintjob either, it also doesn't have lips, and there are other things I dislike about it that I won't get into. It also costs double what Haolonggood's Allosaurus costs.

I also don't think it's fair to compare the Allosaurus to Haolonggood's other theropods. Positively or negatively. The Carcharodontosaurus goes for about $60, and the T. rex for about $70. For $20 you're probably not going to find a better Allosaurus. Especially in the paint department. The blue variant is complex and interesting. I don't like the white squiggles but it's still really cool otherwise. I haven't gotten a new Allosaurus figure in at least 8 years so I'm looking forward to getting this one eventually, it's not a priority though. It's not perfect but I'm not sure such a thing exists. The pros outweigh the cons for me here, especially when factoring in the price point.

Sim

Thanks for your responses avatar_Samrukia @Samrukia and avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin!  I tried buying the figures a few minutes ago and I was able to log in!  So I've now bought the figures!  What happened earlier must have been a glitch on Aliexpress.  I too have sometimes got an incorrect location sometimes in the past.

Regarding comparing the Haolonggood Allosaurus to the Tyrannosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, it's true that those last two are much more expensive than the Allosaurus.  But I think comparing them can still be informative, and it's a natural thing to do.  I will say though that I failed to be clearer and say I didn't mean why is the paintjob of the Allosaurus not as good as the Carcharodontosaurus.  If it was its price would be higher too I think.  It's really the head of this Allosaurus that doesn't look good to me, like that of the Haolonggood Tyrannosaurus.  The 2023 plant-eaters were an improvement from the Tyrannosaurus, but now it's back to the level of the Tyrannosaurus...  I don't understand why the Allosaurus has a shrink-wrapped head while the rest of it looks good.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Hopefully, as happened with Ouranosauru's thumb issue, they could release a corrected model with both correct (jimmadseni** Big Al skull) and first larger claw. I think I'll wait till then to buy the blue one.

Sim

Big Al is an Allosaurus jimmadseni.  The Haolonggood Allosaurus's head looks like it.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2023, 06:54:23 PMBig Al is an Allosaurus jimmadseni.  The Haolonggood Allosaurus's head looks like it.
Oh, my bad. Idk where saw it was fragilis and kept with it.  :-X

suspsy

I think it's a fine Allosaurus, but I already have the CollectA and Safari versions. I have zero desire for a third one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I tried to do a side by side comparison of the skull reconstruction of A. jimmadseni, and with a side profile kind of pic of the figure, and the skull does not seem to match the dimensions of A. jimmadseni. Something about it just seems off after all. It has a flatter jawline like that of A. jimmadseni, a shorter and blunter snout shape of like A. fragilis or A. europaeus, and I'm not sure the crest shape particularly resembles any of the three species. I first thought that it was similar to A. jimmadseni at first, but comparing them directly side by side in Gimp shows that isn't quite the case. The crests seem a bit taller.

I don't know if this will actually be helpful for anyone, but I took the images of the skull reconstruction, and fossil material on wikipedia, and shrunk them down, and rotated them, and aligned them with one of the images of the figure (flipped horizontally).

You can see that the proportions are different. Granted it is also hard to make this kind of comparison with images only, and not like having the figure in hand, as the camera, and angles the figure was shot at could be distorting the proportions somewhat. Like I said earlier it would definitely have been helpful to know what species this was intended to represent, and what reconstruction (if any) was used as the starting point.

Edit: I'll probably order this one next year sometime, if not later in the year if I can get away with it, with how cheap it is on Aliexpress, but I'm still trying to save my funds up as well. From there I could probably do a better comparison of it.

Edit 2: Comparing it with the more paleo accurate Cyberzoic A. jimmadseni model, one can also see there's quite a bit that's different between the two, despite the smaller scale. Above still holds though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bmathison1972

It's an OK Allosaurus. It doesn't 'wow' me like some of their ornithischians to date. I am more than happy with the most recent Safari version even though I don't like its paint job.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Taking a parentheses from the discussion, today I received my corrected Ouranosaurus and I wanted to share some pictures of the previous and updated model:

Also, as a bonus hype, a few days ago the Edmontonia's pair arrived, and they're truly wonderful. Easily my HG's favourites alongside Apatosaurus (although I have a soft spot for thyreophorans, so I am a bit biased). Here are some night photos of them:

They look amazing, almost alive  ;D

SidB

Yes they really stand out that way in your night photos, avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum . HLG has done some great work with their ornithischians, haven't they! You'll love their sauropods too, the Apatosaurus, for instance, when you get one.

Skorpio V.

Finally got to a render of A. jimmadseni I was satisfied with! Although also not the perfect match, I think it proves this sculpt is most likely a case of them using an old A. fragilis cast with the jugal simply being an oversight.

The A. jimmadseni edit was based on MOR 693,
A. fragilis - DINO 2560,
A. europaeus - ML 415.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: SidB on July 20, 2023, 12:03:53 PMYes they really stand out that way in your night photos, avatar_TlatolophusJuanorum @TlatolophusJuanorum . HLG has done some great work with their ornithischians, haven't they! You'll love their sauropods too, the Apatosaurus, for instance, when you get one.
Absolutely! As a matter of fact, I actually have their gray Apatosaurus, but the brownish colouration is staring at my wallet. So maybe I'll order it on another sale in the future.
It is a gorgeous and bulky chonk! :))

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 20, 2023, 01:03:01 PMFinally got to a render of A. jimmadseni I was satisfied with! Although also not the perfect match, I think it proves this sculpt is most likely a case of them using an old A. fragilis cast with the jugal simply being an oversight.

The A. jimmadseni edit was based on MOR 693,
A. fragilis - DINO 2560,
A. europaeus - ML 415.

Thanks for these renders, very helpful visualisation. Perhaps HLG will see our feedback and make changes down the line...?

I take back all I ever said about the PNSO Allosaurus not being a "proper" Allosaurus model (save for thumb claw)...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: