News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I thought there was already a discussion about how this Dilo isn't shrinkwrapped
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

V @vampiredesign would it be possible to fix the shrink-wrapping on the head before the final product is released? I would say it's worth it. It's better to take your time to release a product that's as good as possible than rush something, I think.

Other than that, so far I'm really happy with this upcoming Dilophosaurus. We were overdue for a new one and this one looks like it will definitely deliver. Ironically, by getting this Dilophosaurus instead of Creative Beast's, I will be saving a fair amount of money and space!

Lynx

Quote from: Concavenator on July 27, 2023, 11:52:13 PMV @vampiredesign would it be possible to fix the shrink-wrapping on the head before the final product is released? I would say it's worth it. It's better to take your time to release a product that's as good as possible than rush something, I think.

Other than that, so far I'm really happy with this upcoming Dilophosaurus. We were overdue for a new one and this one looks like it will definitely deliver. Ironically, by getting this Dilophosaurus instead of Creative Beast's, I will be saving a fair amount of money and space!

Ok I'll just reply here
There isn't anything that actually seems to be shrink wrapped on the head, according to previous discussions. The 'shrinkwrapping' in question is pretty normal and shown in even accurate depictions. That sunken bit near the eye is not shrink wrapping.

The other area in front of the eye is just because the crest overhangs a bit, and again, isn't shrinkwrapping.
An oversized house cat.

Prehistory Resurrection

SRF

So HAOLONGGOOD's Allosaurus isn't just half the price of PNSO's Allosaurus, it's half the size as well.
But today, I'm just being father

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SRF on July 28, 2023, 08:00:26 AMSo HAOLONGGOOD's Allosaurus isn't just half the price of PNSO's Allosaurus, it's half the size as well.

Really dont wanna be that guy

But the pnso allosaurus is 25cm ( 27 to the curve) for 37-45

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H2267720aa129404da2036817bac23222N/AUF-LAGER-PNSO-Allosaurus-Paul-Figur-Allosauridae-Dinosaurier-Modell-Sammler-Tier-Erwachsene-Spielzeug-Geschenk.jpg

The haolonggood one is 22cm for 22

I DONT love it either and prefer pnsos sculpt , both weirdly are weak though, lacking the claw and shrinkwrapping

SRF

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on July 28, 2023, 08:29:41 AM
Quote from: SRF on July 28, 2023, 08:00:26 AMSo HAOLONGGOOD's Allosaurus isn't just half the price of PNSO's Allosaurus, it's half the size as well.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H2267720aa129404da2036817bac23222N/AUF-LAGER-PNSO-Allosaurus-Paul-Figur-Allosauridae-Dinosaurier-Modell-Sammler-Tier-Erwachsene-Spielzeug-Geschenk.jpg

I DONT love it either and prefer pnsos sculpt , both weirdly are weak though, lacking the claw and shrinkwrapping

It's not just the length I'm referring to. Looking at them side by side, it seems to me that the PNSO Allosaurus contains almost the double amount of plastic overall. Maybe I'm crazy for doing so, but I tend to weigh my figures as well. After all it's weight we use to define which animal is bigger than the other.   
But today, I'm just being father

Samrukia

Quote from: SRF on July 28, 2023, 09:41:27 AM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on July 28, 2023, 08:29:41 AM

It's not just the length I'm referring to. Looking at them side by side, it seems to me that the PNSO Allosaurus contains almost the double amount of plastic overall. Maybe I'm crazy for doing so, but I tend to weigh my figures as well. After all it's weight we use to define which animal is bigger than the other.   

mathematically you are right, 5 cm length difference is about 20%, volume-wise PNSO should be 70% bigger, with certain assumptions for simplicity

vampiredesign

We have been working hard on our lips to do this. I mentioned it before.When it comes to this ratio and size, it is regrettable that something must be discarded.
There will be some product transitions, thank you very much for your support.

Sim

The PNSO Allosaurus is a very good representation of the animal, it's not weak.

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx The area on the skull that contains the ears is overexposed on both the Dilophosaurus and Allosaurus, therefore there is some shrinkwrapping going on. Brands like BotM, Safari, PNSO, etc don't have those holes on the skull as exposed like that. Favorite Ltd does that however, and common consensus around here has always been that their models are shrinkwrapped.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Sim on July 28, 2023, 02:43:32 PMThe PNSO Allosaurus is a very good representation of the animal, it's not weak.
I agree, plus I find the paleonerd review by Leyster best sums up my feelings on it too.
https://www.paleo-nerd.com/recensioni/allosaurus-pnso-2021/

I am actually curious about your opinion L @Leyster on this Haolonggood Allosaurus.

To me at least, I don't understand the fuss other than lack of lips. I think it is a fine model and at less than $20 I am more intrigued to purchase it.

V @vampiredesign I am eager to see your future releases. Thank you for the amazing work.

Sim

Sometimes extant reptiles exhibit some "shrink-wrapping", so I think there's nothing wrong with the degree of that on the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus.  An example of this is below, I've also seen it on monitor lizards

(Image source)

Fembrogon

Quote from: Renecito on July 27, 2023, 06:28:04 AMDilophosaurus prototype

Would Dilophosaurus's subnarial gap - the "notch" or "kink" at the front of the snout - be quite that visible on a lipped individual? The gap was less pronounced than previously thought anyway.

Spoiler

[close]

Overall the design looks very nice from these previews, so I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I can see what you mean, but its skull is also pretty divergent from that of theropods. Do you have any more examples of this? Just wondering how widespread it is, or if this is like a strange one off. I did see you mentioned some monitor lizards. Any particular species to check out?

Lynx

Quote from: Faelrin on July 28, 2023, 02:53:58 PMavatar_Lynx @Lynx The area on the skull that contains the ears is overexposed on both the Dilophosaurus and Allosaurus, therefore there is some shrinkwrapping going on. Brands like BotM, Safari, PNSO, etc don't have those holes on the skull as exposed like that. Favorite Ltd does that however, and common consensus around here has always been that their models are shrinkwrapped.

Couldn't this just be a case of it being more obvious thanks to the unpainted version?
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Fembrogon on July 28, 2023, 05:07:03 PMWould Dilophosaurus's subnarial gap - the "notch" or "kink" at the front of the snout - be quite that visible on a lipped individual?
I've seen professional restorations of lipped dinosaurs with the kink in the snout still visible.  I think it's possible.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, do a Google image search for "monitor lizard eye".  When I did it there was lots of images showing the shape of the eye socket externally.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks. I did check those out, but just to be clear it isn't the eye area that I saw as being shrinkwrapped on either model. It's specifically the temporal fenestrae area. That's the ear hole area I was talking about in my previous post. I just couldn't recall the term earlier. Most of the more paleo accurate figures out there these days don't have that particular area as exposed/deep. The area I do see some depth too, is the eye region, and the antorbital fenestrae, but still clearly reconstructed with tissue present.

Using Allosaurus as an example, here are three recent sculpts:

Spoiler
Safari Ltd:

PNSO:

Cyberzoic/BotM digital models from Jake:

[close]
Favorite Ltd's model in comparison, where it is clearly visible:

Spoiler

[close]
avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon I think based on V @vampiredesign response above that the Dilophosaurus might also lack lips due to the smaller size of the sculpt, and the difficulty in doing so? In any case there are teeth, or at least indentations in the shape of the teeth, visible on the left side of the sculpt. The right side I can't tell due to the image compression. Going to need better quality images to get a better idea overall. I did outline the teeth I could make out in the one image, in case it is helpful for anyone. That said it also pretty clearly lacked lips in the earlier image we saw of the figure too.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx After watching DinosNDragons review on this figure, the area I'm referring to (such as in my response to Sim above) is still visible on the finished Allosaurus model, so I think it would still be visible on the finished Dilophosaurus model, unless altered? In the case of the Allosaurus the skull was also based on an outdated reconstruction (such as the WWD one), which might have contributed to it further, rather then basing it on any particular species, where as this new Dilophosaurus seems based on the post 2020 paper reconstruction. Granted it didn't seem as noticeable on this image shared earlier (even when zooming in on it), so I'm wondering if the above images of the sculpt in red were actually earlier along in the design phase, then that previous image we saw of the Dilophosaurus sculpt? That said the above compression of the image, and zooming in on it will cause it to lose detail, so if it were to still be present, like in the pics of the red colored sculpt, it could be harder to detect because of that anyways. I guess I'll have a better idea of what is going on with it, when there are product pics and/or in hand pics/video. I'll share that previous image of the sculpt again here for an easier comparison of the two:

Sim

The Dilophosaurus's temporal fenestra doesn't look more "shrink-wrapped" than its eye socket and antorbital fenestra to me...  And the PNSO and Creative Beast Allosaurus seem just as "shrink-wrapped" in that area as the Dilophosaurus...

Flaffy

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin just looks like raised scales/keratin to me, rather than Favorite Co. style of sunken-in temporal fenestrae.

This is evident by the lack of obvious shadow cast in the initial black and white teaser.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: