News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Halichoeres

Thanks for the info, avatar_Samrukia @Samrukia and avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy. It sounds like the megaraptoran rumors are unsubstantiated. I do hope the sauropod is a bona fide Haolonggood product, though!

As for the Allosaurus, as I said before an allosauroid would have to be superlative for me to want it, and this one doesn't meet that standard. The Carcharodontosaurus did; you can feel the absence of whatever personnel GR Toys brought to the table.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 20, 2023, 01:03:01 PMFinally got to a render of A. jimmadseni I was satisfied with! Although also not the perfect match, I think it proves this sculpt is most likely a case of them using an old A. fragilis cast with the jugal simply being an oversight.

The A. jimmadseni edit was based on MOR 693,
A. fragilis - DINO 2560,
A. europaeus - ML 415.

I mean, take crest shape with a grain of salt, since one can always claim keratin extensions or individual variation.
The other features would be less variable, though, so this is still a helpful comparison.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on July 21, 2023, 01:46:00 AM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 20, 2023, 01:03:01 PM

I mean, take crest shape with a grain of salt, since one can always claim keratin extensions or individual variation.
The other features would be less variable, though, so this is still a helpful comparison.

Absolutely, these edits were based directly on what was preserved/filled in by the people making the skeletals, so one could say they're conservative reconstructions of those specimens. Simplifying the keratin growth does help in distinguishing species, which is the end goal of the edits. Of course, leeway should be granted to all aspects, but especially where you noted.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

PoptartDoodle

I'd love to see how Haolonggood tackles abelisaurids, Majungasaurus and Rajasaurus just had some amazing screen time with Prehistoric Planet, and it really seems they got inspiration to give Pachyrhinosaurus horizontal pupils from PP.

Sim

P @PoptartDoodle, abelisaurids could be interesting.  The head of Haolonggood's Allosaurus already looks like an abelisaurid's in side view.  I would be particularly interested in seeing a Carnotaurus with correct integument from Haolonggood.

Faelrin

Allosaurus is on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/HAOLONGGOOD-Allosaurus-YangZhi/dp/B0CC6F258Q

SuoChao (red):

Spoiler

[close]
YangZhi (blue):

Spoiler

[close]

Edit: I found a short video review of the Allosaurus (paint doesn't seem as elaborate as the prototypes, but still looks nice enough to me):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on July 24, 2023, 02:46:57 AMEdit: I found a short video review of the Allosaurus (paint doesn't seem as elaborate as the prototypes, but still looks nice enough to me):

Thanks for the video. The reviewer posted some helpful images.

Skull overlay (looks like A. fragilis'?):

Nasal passages:

Size comparison with GR Toys x Haolonggood Carcharodontosaurus:

His main gripe is also with the skull shape, but otherwise has pretty good things to say about them (he also mentioned the white lines on the blue version look like lightning bolts shooting across a dark sky).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Been thinking this over, I love the blue paint scheme, but that skull, mainly the mouth area reminds me too much of the negative aspects of the WWD Big Al design, the lines going to the teeth and the teeth themselves are a bit too regular and uniform.

Sim

I dislike how the skin over the fenestrae of the Allosaurus is sunken and has strange lines.

Renecito

Dilophosaurus prototype

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

SenSx

Quote from: Renecito on July 27, 2023, 06:28:04 AMDilophosaurus prototype

If the final product is anything like that it will be gorgeous.
Finally a good updated Dilo, with lips !

Quiversaurus

Dang, that Dilo is gorgeous...

Bread

If this has no quality issues relating to the jaw articulation or anything regarding breakage, there should be now no excuse for PNSO to not use lips on their larger therapod models.

This Dilophosaurus will be an instant pickup.

SidB

Very fine indeed. This looks to finally displace the Papo Dilopho in my collection, if it lives up to its promise.  But it really puzzles me how HLG is very capable of designing this with lips, yet NOT the Allosaurus. I don't get that. If it's a matter of developing and executing the appropriate techniques, why not wait till they are mature, as with the Dilophosaurus, before releasing the Allosaurus? Another herbivore pair could have been inserted into the line-up in the meanwhile. Just speculating, of course.

Sim

The Dilophosaurus looks excellent!  It's easily the most accurate figure of this animal.  Haolonggood is so good at listening to their customers, I appreciate that.

Carnoking

Well, well, well. I stand corrected.

Faelrin

A bit too shrinkwrapped on the head currently, like the Allosaurus was. Also seeing some indentations that look like teeth on the front of the snout (left side). Hopefully that's improved more before being finished.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on July 27, 2023, 03:00:37 PMAlso seeing some indentations that look like teeth on the front of the snout (left side).
Upon closer inspection, and comparison with the lipless cg wip image we saw earlier, I don't think the Dilo prototype actually has lips. The edge of the mouth doesn't actually extend any further down than in the cg image. I think the teeth are just hard to see in the monochrome prototype

Sim

I think it's quite clear it has lips, but V @vampiredesign can you say if it has lips?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: