News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What were your firsts?

Started by Takama, March 19, 2012, 01:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

What was your first dinosaur toy.

and what were your firsts from each companey.

my first toy ever was a imperial T-Rex and Triceratops, boxset

companey firsts

Carnegi: Corythosaurus

Schelech: Original standing T-rex

Wild Safari: Dunkolosteus

Papo: Velociraptor version 2

CollectA: Tsintasaurus(thanks to its head)

Invicta: a gift Bag from my old elementry school with Stegosaurus Plesiosaurus Glyptodon Brachiosaurus Mammoth.

Gwangi

I can't speak for when I was a kid as I just don't know. The first I remember were a bunch of Chinasaurs with open mouths and sharp teeth, I would know them if I saw them. As an adult collector my first purchases were the Wild Safari Tyrannosaurus (1996), Brachiosaurus (1996), Spinosaurus (1996) and Stegosaurus (2008). I got them all at Michael's, an arts & crafts store. Funny thing is after two years of collecting they still only carry those same four.

As for other companies...

Invicta: Stegosaurus
Papo: Pachyrhinosaurus
Carnegie: Amargasaurus, Cryolophosaurus and Giganotosaurus
Bullyland: Pteranodon
Kinto Favorite: Spinosaurus
Kaiyodo: Camarasaurus
Schleich: Macrauchenia
CollectA: Jobaria, Ankylosaurus, Polacanthus, Scelidosaurus, Lioplurodon

Thundercharge

Well besides all the generic toys and chinasaurs I had as a child, my first figures when I started collecting were Papo Rex and Allosaurus, and Carnegie Tyrannosaurus. Took off from there, and still all very recently  ;D

Papo: Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus
Carnegie: Tyrannosaurus
Bullyland: Tyrannosaurus
Kinto Favorite: Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo: Elasmosaurus
Schleich: Allosaurus
Wild Safari: Velociraptor, Triceratops
Collecta: Velociraptor

Click sig for my collection! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm pretty sure it was probably an Imperial...but I do recall getting an Invcita Brontosaurus when I was seven.

So..

Invicta: Brontosaurus
Playskool : Deinonychus
Tyco: Dino-Rider Deinonychus
Carnegie/Safari : Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus
Kennner : Jurassic Park Screaming Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus

More recent :

Papo: T-Rex
Bullyland: Pteranodon
Kaiyodo: Elamosaurus vinyl kit
Schleich: Elasmosaurus
CollectA: Cryolophosaurus / Liopluerodon

ZoPteryx

Wow, I don't know. ???  Probably a Marx "Trachodon", it might be a knockoff though.

Carnegie: Anniversery T. rex
Safari: Utahraptor
Bullyland: Trilobite
Schleich: Anhanguera
CollectA/Procon: Eustreptospondylus or Liopleurodon
Papo: Velociraptor

Lio99

schleich junior: Saichania
carnegie: triceratops
wwd toyway: stegosaurus
papo: spinosaurus

Pachyrhinosaurus

Safari: Old triceratops (Gray and green), Utahraptor, Old, Green Brachiosaurus, and the red variation of the Geosternbergia.
Carnegie: Not completely sure, but I think it is either the green and yellow parasaurolophus, ankylosaurus, or the blue iguanodon.
Papo: Green tyrannosaurus
CollectA: Deluxe stegosaurus (Which is also my only CollectA to date)
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Horridus

As a kid, a couple of Chinasaurs. One a weird fin-backed warty newt-like theropod and the other was a stegosaur-type thing, I think. Long lost though!

As an adult...Papo Pachycephalosaurus. Bought for me as a gift and sparked off my interest in dino toy...uh...models all over again...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

When I was a child
Kenner- Rex Red
Imperial- Red and black Triceratops
Invicta- never owned any as child, but at school we had the Tyrannosaurus and others to play with in the sandbox. Dunno if that counts.

When I first starting collecting as a hobby-
Papo- T-Rex
Carnegie- Giganotosaurus
Safari- Great Dinos Triceratops
CollectA- Deluxe T-Rex (toy) I liked it at first, but someone ended up hating it and giving it to someone.
Schleich- Saichania
Bullyland- Arizonasaurus
Kaiyodo- Saichania

Tylosaurus

Aye! Good topic with a very good question hehe, this can get interesting too.

Well my first goes all the way back to December 08, 1980, it was a 1976 made Dimetrodon given to me for my 4th birthday by my parents I think, it's quite a long time ago ya see :) This Dimetrodon is from the brand from Imperial which was made in Hong Kong, yet I am not really sure of it's true branding, please correct me if I am mistaken ;)

Here some pictures of it;

Left Side, old but trusty, this one never let me down  :D

Right Side, as this oldie stands on my fresh Mangoes  ;D

Belly Shot:

Very vaguely you will see 1976 under the HONG KONG in print, you must click to enlarge to see this though :)

And in it's home amongst my marine reptiles and flying reptiles of my Dino-Riders collection :)

The full picture can be seen here :)

Even though  people called it a Dimetrodon back then, it has more of the characteristics of an Edaphosaurus :)

And what followed? Well I have truly no idea heh, lots of things took place those days heh  :-X

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 19, 2012, 08:18:03 PM
Aye! Good topic with a very good question hehe, this can get interesting too.

Well my first goes all the way back to December 08, 1980, it was a 1976 made Dimetrodon given to me for my 4th birthday by my parents I think, it's quite a long time ago ya see :) This Dimetrodon is from the brand from Imperial which was made in Hong Kong, yet I am not really sure of it's true branding, please correct me if I am mistaken ;)

Here some pictures of it;

Left Side, old but trusty, this one never let me down  :D

Right Side, as this oldie stands on my fresh Mangoes  ;D

Belly Shot:

Very vaguely you will see 1976 under the HONG KONG in print, you must click to enlarge to see this though :)

And in it's home amongst my marine reptiles and flying reptiles of my Dino-Riders collection :)

The full picture can be seen here :)

Even though  people called it a Dimetrodon back then, it has more of the characteristics of an Edaphosaurus :)

And what followed? Well I have truly no idea heh, lots of things took place those days heh  :-X
Tylosaurus, it's cool that you kept your first ever dinosaur  :D

Horridus

Not really - Edaphosaurus had a rather different sail and a tiny head. Found this in a Google search, looks reasonable based on my rather limited knowledge...

(Yeah, I'm annoying.)

By the way, the Imperial Dimetrodon looks very much like a knock-off of the Inpro one. I think my first couple of dinos were Imperial too! I didn't have a Dimetrodon though - as a kid I only remember having the UKRD and JP ones. I actually have more of them now...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

My firsts? I think those were some knock-offs of Marx Dinosaurs. Got rid of those and a lot Chinasaurs when I was younger....

Real Creatures:
Dino Riders: Torosaurus
Jurassic Park: Juvenile T-Rex
Prehistoric Scenes/Revell Dinosaurs: Allosaurus
Papo: T-Rex, Pterandon & Velociraptor Version 2 ( all three together )
Carnegie: Dilong
Safari: WS Inostrancevia
Landscapes: Cycad
Toob: Ichthyosaurus, Postosuchus, Sinosauropteryx
CollectA: Baby Spinosaurus
Schleich: Parasaurolophus Version 2 & small Allosaurus
Bullyland: Used to had the small Ankylosaurus. Currently it is the green Archaeopteryx.
Kaiyodo: Dinotales: White Tarbosaurus
Sega: Grey T-Rex
Dinosaur King: Saichania, Saltasaurus, Suchomimus and Carcharodontosaurus
Iwakura Godzilla: Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus ( that latter being about to be eaten by King Ghidorah )
Invicta: Mamenchisaurus, Triceratops & Plesiosaurus
Predators: Uintatherium
AAA: Brachiosaurus Adult & Baby ( no longer own them )
UKRD: Dimetrodon ( no longer own it )

Fictional:
Bandai Godzilla: Godzilla Final Wars
Iwakura Godzilla: Baragon, Biollante
Predators DNA Fusion: Lothar ( Liliensternus/Lystrosaurus Hybrid )
Predasaurs Insect Invasion: Curadan ( Placerias/Beetle Hybrid )
King Kong: Vastatosaurus Rex
Monsterpocalypse: Pteradactix Shadow
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

postsaurischian

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Horridus on March 19, 2012, 08:33:38 PM
Not really - Edaphosaurus had a rather different sail and a tiny head. Found this in a Google search, looks reasonable based on my rather limited knowledge...

(Yeah, I'm annoying.)

By the way, the Imperial Dimetrodon looks very much like a knock-off of the Inpro one. I think my first couple of dinos were Imperial too! I didn't have a Dimetrodon though - as a kid I only remember having the UKRD and JP ones. I actually have more of them now...
Well I never mentioned you were annoying, all we are doing is having a conversation nothing more to it ;)

As my Dimetrodon goes, it's just a toy and it was never mentioned to be aany type of model or sculpture ;) It's make year is from 1976, so do expect that there were many mistakes made and that it is very unprecise as details go.

It's that it's head looks more like an Iguana, like that of an Edaphosaurus, the sail is indeed that of a Dimetrodon, might be that back then they did not have a good idea on how to make a Dimetrodon, heh could be mistaken , no matter I was like 4 when I got this as a gift, so likewise to me back then it didn't matter what it was, I was 4 years old rofl  ::)
The point is, is that I still have it in the same shape when I received it ;)

I'd like to see your Imperial's though, does Imperial actually still exist?

Horridus

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 19, 2012, 08:54:28 PM
Schleich Minis - late 60s :)
I had rubbery (soft plastic) knock-offs of a couple of those, and I'd completely forgotten! Can't remember where they came from though. I had the theropod and Dimetrodon.

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 19, 2012, 09:06:05 PM
As my Dimetrodon goes, it's just a toy and it was never mentioned to be aany type of model or sculpture ;) It's make year is from 1976, so do expect that there were many mistakes made and that it is very unprecise as details go.

It's that it's head looks more like an Iguana, like that of an Edaphosaurus, the sail is indeed that of a Dimetrodon, might be that back then they did not have a good idea on how to make a Dimetrodon, heh could be mistaken , no matter I was like 4 when I got this as a gift, so likewise to me back then it didn't matter what it was, I was 4 years old rofl  ::)
The point is, is that I still have it in the same shape when I received it ;)

I'd like to see your Imperial's though, does Imperial actually still exist?

Haha, I know it's not at all a 'serious' attempt to reconstruct Dimetrodon. But in my opinion it does look more like Dimetrodon; it has a big head with sharp teeth and a 'rounded' sail like certain Dimetrodon species.

I don't have any Imperial now I'm afraid - I was talking about Dimetrodon toys. :( I wouldn't mind getting hold of that weird theropod again, my first dinosaur toy ever...
@Mhorridus

stemturtle

My first dinosaurs were the Marx Prehistoric Times Play Set: Pot-Belly T-Rex, cavemen, and a lake habitat.  This dates me because it was in the late 50s when I was in about 4th grade. 

My birthday was at the end of summer, so I had to beg my mother to give me the gift early before school started.  Our spending limit was $4.00 because there were several kids.  All summer I would pay visits to the toy store in anticipation.  Even then, it bothered me that there were mammals because of the time differences.  I was particularly fond of the cavemen.  Eventually, I gave the set to my little brother, and it was lost to time.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Totoro

My first dinosaur toys came from the Sinclair gas station (green plastic brontosaurus - I evidently chewed on it some, or maybe that was a pet?  Yeah, that's right, it must have been one of our pets  :-X) and, at about the same time, the traveling DinoLand exhibit they sponsored for the 1965 world's fair (numerous wax casts of the exhibits).  Hey, I was only 4 at the time, so...OK, you're right, I'm old.   :o :P
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

DinoLord

My first dinosaur toys were chinasaurs. The first ones that I got that I actually still care about are some JP3 toys.

Invicta: A lot with a bunch of them, including the blue whale and Brachiosaurus amongst many others
Battat: Ouranosaurus
Papo: Spinosaurus
Wild Safari: Paint your own dinosaurs set (consisted of Utahraptor, T. rex, and Triceratops)
Carnegie: Mammoth
Bullyland: Woolly mammoth
Kinto Favorite: Brachiosaurus, T. rex, Ankylosaurus (Euoplocephalus), Apatosaurus
Kaiyodo: The whole Dinotales series 7
CollectA: Olorotitan
Schleich: N/A  ;)

Brontozaurus

I can't exactly remember what my first ever dinosaur toy was, though the earliest I remember was a bag of Chinasaurs that included bizarre things like the DnD rust monster and some weird dinosaurs, including one that was amazingly racist if I think about it (it was black and had huge red lips).

Since they were a big part of my childhood, I can remember the very first yowie figure I obtained. It was a Long-necked Plesiosaur. I still have it around, though not on display because it's a bit worn.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: