News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Oh wow, I kinda want the scorpius! I am holding out for a Hammond Collection one though...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Teeth are much improved. These are probably Walmart only in the US?

Prehistory Resurrection

Hammond Collection Baby Triceratops revealed;

Carnoking

Actually looks like the Scorpius rex this time but I too wonder if there are plans for an HC release.

As far as the baby trike goes, I'm disappointed it's the world design, although in hindsight I'm not sure why I expected any different. Buy for what it is it looks pretty good. Hate the slit pupil though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hmmm yeah I was totally expecting the JP version it is the HAMMOND Collection. I was never a fan of those renders. It looks like a scaled down adult. That eye..why?  This will probably be another pass for me.

Faelrin

Why did they give it cat eyes? That's cursed.

Also disappointed it isn't the JP version. Would have made sense considering the previous one was the JP version, but I guess it is fine for what it is (except the eyes).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilopho

I think it's pretty nice, the jaw articulation is very nice looking compared to pretty much all of their other beaked dinosaurs.
It looks to have better articulation than the Dimetrodon, too.
I would actually really like for them to do an updated adult Triceratops in these colours now, a second pass at the species.

Gwangi

If it's not Mark "Crash" McCreery's baby Triceratops then I'm not interested. Sorry Mattel!

MLMjp

My desire for a baby Triceratops seems to be stronger that the need for the classic desing cause I still want it.

My only guess as to why is the JW desing and not a TLW one is because that one appearance was so blink and you will miss it, that they actually missed it. But they also did stuff like the Geosternbergia, an animal that didn even appear on screen and they based it on concept art, so...

Weird toy making/corporative decisions strikes again.

Gwangi

Even though the original baby Trike was scrapped from the film and only had a cameo in TLW it was still heavily marketed. I remember seeing that thing on stickers, trading cards, erasers, books...you named it. I have a toy of it by Dakin and Papo's baby Trike was clearly influenced by it. Mattel dropped the ball on this one. Fans remember Crash's Triceratops, not the Jurassic World one. It's not a bad figure but I don't think it's what most fans wanted.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Dilopho on September 05, 2024, 03:41:02 PMI think it's pretty nice, the jaw articulation is very nice looking compared to pretty much all of their other beaked dinosaurs.

But isn't the articulation point in completely the wrong place? it looks like its mandible is being snapped!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 05, 2024, 05:41:49 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on September 05, 2024, 03:41:02 PMI think it's pretty nice, the jaw articulation is very nice looking compared to pretty much all of their other beaked dinosaurs.

But isn't the articulation point in completely the wrong place? it looks like its mandible is being snapped!

Nearly all of the non-theropod herbivores have had incorrect jaw articulation points. So far I think the only correct ones are the Brachiosaurus and Stegling

DinoToyForum

Quote from: crazy8wizard on September 05, 2024, 06:07:06 PM

Nearly all of the non-theropod herbivores have had incorrect jaw articulation points. So far I think the only correct ones are the Brachiosaurus and Stegling

Sure, that's kinda why I was questioning avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho's accolade for the jaw articulation in the new baby Triceratops, it appears no better, in that regard at least.

Gwangi

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 05, 2024, 06:15:55 PM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on September 05, 2024, 06:07:06 PM

Sure, that's kinda why I was questioning avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho's accolade for the jaw articulation in the new baby Triceratops, it appears no better, in that regard at least.

I think they do it that way because they don't know how to articulate the entire jaw while also giving it cheeks. It is rather unsightly.

TheCambrianCrusader

Yeah I would much rather have the jp baby trike. Not sure why they picked the jw version, maybe they thought the designs were similar enough? Wonder if they're considering an adult jw trike tho. Wouldn't pick one up but that'd be interesting.

Dilopho

Yeah, but it's better than just the very tip of the beak flipping down like the other ones. I like the bit of cheek you can see, too.

I didn't say it was accurate, just that it was nicer *looking*, in comparison of course.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on September 06, 2024, 02:28:17 AMYeah I would much rather have the jp baby trike. Not sure why they picked the jw version, maybe they thought the designs were similar enough? Wonder if they're considering an adult jw trike tho. Wouldn't pick one up but that'd be interesting.

The JW designs for the most part, are pretty forgettable not at all like the JP designs. They should have done an adult and baby Nasutoceratops if they JW. Anything based on those cheap renders isn't going to work for me.

Reuben03

glad im not the only one bothered by this. puts me off buying them, they look so stupid with those little mouths! i wish mattel would fix that.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Nyrorosaurus

Kryptops

Kentrosaurus

Ceratosuchops

Pteranodon

Therizinosaurus

More images on Smyth's website: https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/brand/jurassic-world/c/SM060614

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: