You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

crazy8wizard's weirdest collection update (9-17-2024)

Started by crazy8wizard, August 10, 2023, 08:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

Since I'm new here it's time for me to post my collection. Unfortunately I don't have a specialized display space for it so it's sitting as a bit of a chaotic sprawl due to my space limitations currently.
I tried to give it some sort of an organization scheme but it sort of just developed into larger models at the back, smaller at the front. When I get a new display for it I intend to either sort it by time period and or country of origin.

Below are close up photos of the table. The figures inside the clear plastic display cases are ones I don't tend to remove and show to others as often, either because they aren't quite up to my preferences or look strange and out of place, but I still enjoy having them in my collection.
Spoiler
A lot of Walking with Dinosaurs in this corner, although almost entirely my own repaints.

The center is a little bit disorganized since I was just trying to get everything arranged.

The big figures up here on top. Mostly T. rex and Giganotosaurus.

A lot of my larger marine reptiles in what I call "The Trench".

The Kronosaurus demand their space!

I will admit I have a little bit of a saurischian bias.
[close]
And of course, there's a few other figures that are either too small to display, ones I don't feel like displaying, ore ones I'm in the process of customizing.
There's quite a few customs on display currently so if you want a closer look, let me know and I will gladly share them.

DinoToyForum

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing. Is that a custom made Walking With Dinosaurs inspired Cryptoclidus I spy?

crazy8wizard

Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 10, 2023, 09:43:34 PMNice collection! Thanks for sharing. Is that a custom made Walking With Dinosaurs inspired Cryptoclidus I spy?
Yes and no. It is definitely based on and intended to resemble the WWD Cryptoclidus but it's actually meant to represent the Sundance Cryptoclidine, Tatenectes. The neck is much shorter and the torso is flattened in profile view

DinoToyForum

Very nice, great job! 8) Did you use a Schleich Plesiosaurus as the base model? I ask because the flippers look familiar.

It makes me wonder whether Toyway ever considered releasing a figure of Cryptoclidus.

crazy8wizard

Yeah, that's what I used. I cut about a third of the neck out, thickened it using green stuff epoxy putty, and then I flattened the body by heating it up with a heat gun and pressing it down onto my desk
Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 10, 2023, 11:17:05 PMVery nice, great job! 8) Did you use a Schleich Plesiosaurus as the base model? I ask because the flippers look familiar.

It makes me wonder whether Toyway ever considered releasing a figure of Cryptoclidus.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 10, 2023, 11:53:17 PMYeah, that's what I used. I cut about a third of the neck out, thickened it using green stuff epoxy putty, and then I flattened the body by heating it up with a heat gun and pressing it down onto my desk
Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 10, 2023, 11:17:05 PMVery nice, great job! 8) Did you use a Schleich Plesiosaurus as the base model? I ask because the flippers look familiar.

That's a good use of a bad toy!

SidB

crazy8wizard

I'm not particularly satisfied with the setup to be perfectly honest but until I get some shelves or something put in it'll do.
The presence of unique looking figures makes up for it though!

Faelrin

That's quite the established collection you got there. Lots of great ones, new and old.

Also wow, seeing the new CollectA Koolasuchus next to the PNSO Sinosauropteryx gives me an idea on big it is, since I have the latter out on display currently.

Also don't feel bad about your limited collection display. We got to make do with what we can. I've currently been stuck with living in a motel room for the past few months, but it's just enough to work with to have a few out on display thankfully. Anyways I'm impressed you found a way to make them all fit in one way or another.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Faelrin on August 11, 2023, 04:05:18 AMAlso wow, seeing the new CollectA Koolasuchus next to the PNSO Sinosauropteryx gives me an idea on big it is, since I have the latter out on display currently.

You can fit the entire Mattel mini Lystrosaurus in its mouth! Granted, that figure is also really tiny and Koolasuchus has a gigantic mouth, but it still gives you an idea of how big it is.

BlueKrono

Love seeing those mini Battats. Those are pretty rare.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

A very eclectic collection! I always appreciate a display with a good dose of not-technically-dinosaurs. Is that a Sega Pteranodon or a Safari with custom Dinosaur King livery?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 11, 2023, 12:53:27 PMIs that a Sega Pteranodon or a Safari with custom Dinosaur King livery?
To be honest, I'm not quite sure which one you're talking about

crazy8wizard

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 11, 2023, 05:09:42 AMLove seeing those mini Battats. Those are pretty rare.
You might also see your namesake figure hidden behind the BotM T. rex!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

crazy8wizard

Oh, I see. No, that one is the Hammond Collection "Geosternbergia". A neat figure for sure, even if really stylized. I decided this would be a neat way to display it, sorta invoking the old Smithsonian or AMNH Pteranodon wall mount. I can't feasibly get it to stand quadrupedally and for whatever reason it didn't come with a base to put it in a flying pose.

BlueKrono

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 11, 2023, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on August 11, 2023, 05:09:42 AMLove seeing those mini Battats. Those are pretty rare.
You might also see your namesake figure hidden behind the BotM T. rex!

I spotted it! Always a cool animal, but my SN comes from the Marx version, as told here:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5030.0
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Crackington

Great collection love the mix of the old and new!

Concavenator

Welcome to the forum! That's a mighty collection you've got there!

Good to see some pic of the new Safari Utahraptor too. It's been a, relatively, little while since it's been released but apart from a recent in hand review on YouTube, yours is the only pic of it that I've seen. On the other hand, when PNSO figures are concerned, we usually start seeing in hand pics of the figure a millisecond day after they release, or thereabouts.

crazy8wizard

Some recent acquisitions! Some of these are ones I had been searching for, and some of them are ones that I hadn't considered beforehand. To start off:

Happy Kin Ornithocheirus/Criorhynchus
A really neat figure for a genus that doesn't have much coverage, unfortunately the wings are bent out of shape.

Walking with Dinosaurs Nanuqsaurus/Gorgosaurus cup toppers
I got these as a set and while the greener gorgon has better anatomy, the pose its in makes it extremely front heavy and it falls over all the time despite having a base. The cartoonier one also has nicer colors. I might repaint the green one with a film accurate color scheme.

PNSO Glyphoderma
A really excellent placoderm but unfortunately it's the second, more drab paint scheme rather than the green and yellow patterned one

Bullyland Procynosuchus
This is so far the only bullyland figure I own but it's an excellent one. Considering the drought of Cynodont figures out there, this is certainly my favorite, even if it isn't a Triassic cynodont.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: