You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Could this amount of UV light potentially damage my figures?

Started by overcooked780, October 24, 2023, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overcooked780

Hello! I have been a lurker on this forum for a little while now, and started collecting around a year ago. I would like to post a photo of my current setup in regard to the question at hand.
My apartment is basically a collectors nightmare.
Giant windows, baseboard heating which runs along the floors, making it difficult to set up bookshelves.
I prefer them to hanging shelves, since I try to avoid putting holes in the wall.
I have 100% blackout curtains setup in the bedroom, but light comes up from the top and bounces off of the walls, lighting up my shelves during certain times of the day. Is this "indirect sunlight" something to be of concern, or am I overthinking things? I live in Upstate NY, so it is often dependent on the season and time of day. Here it is at it's worst in the first photo. The second photo is taken with the lamp on. I really like the setup as it is.. Thanks so much!

https://ibb.co/Dkgp9jG

https://ibb.co/3rm38Xv

crazy8wizard

I'd assume that as long as the curtain gets closed it should be fine. Usually UV damage occurs more in direct sunlight over a period of months to years.

Newt

Hello and welcome! Looks like you have a nice setup, with some room to grow. I personally would not be too concerned unless any of the figures are hit by direct sunlight. But I'm not a materials scientist, so take that for what it's worth.

If you are worried about UV levels, consider applying window film to your windows. You can get it at any home center or hardware store, in clear, tinted, or decorative versions. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to apply. You spray the glass with a special solution and squeegee the film on; most stores sell a kit with solution and squeegee. The only other tool you will need is scissors or a knife to trim the film to size. 3M claims its version blocks 99% of UV light. Total cost will depend on the size of your windows and which version you buy, but I would expect it to come out to well under $100. I've used it on some of my windows and I'd say it's doable for nearly anyone even if they are not particularly handy.

Obviously, if you are renting you will need to ask your landlord first. The clear window film might be the easiest sell as it does not affect the appearance of the apartment. 

NB- this is not the same as the heat-control window film that you apply with a hair dryer. AKAIK that stuff does not block UV light.

overcooked780

Thank you for the suggestion! I have a few more on the way, too! There is a bit of room in the living room once I can find another bookshelf as well. I just found out that JoAnn Fabrics sells blackout fabric. So I could get some of that and then tack it over that gap where the curtain is. I'm hoping that does the trick!

Quiversaurus

That's a nice collection you have there avatar_overcooked780 @overcooked780 . I'm liking the breathing space and the use of risers, and more importantly, the species selection.

I have yet to see PNSO's Qianzhousaurus placed together with their newer tyrannosaurs, so thank you for that display!

overcooked780

Thanks! Here is another shot. I think they display quite well together. I don't have the Albertosaurus yet, though. It's not as high on my list as some others, such as the Olorotitan, Suchomimus, Cretoxyrhina and Triceratops. Also, that Ampelosaurus from Haolonggood is looking pretty good.

https://ibb.co/sR0qmyt

Quiversaurus

Thanks for the closer look (:

I have the PNSO Suchomimus and would recommend it. The teeth on it are the finest I've seen so far. The Olorotitan has been on my list for a while now too!

Halichoeres

A good test to see how much UV is reflecting to strike your figures is to see how much your carpet fades. It's a long experiment, though.

In seriousness, I think this is a pretty safe setup. And a nice collection!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Would it be possible for you to place the collection in another part of the house? Nevertheless, I don't think you should worry. Just try the figures face the least possible light, so on that sense and as others said, I would recommend having the curtain closed whenever you can.

Also, have you considered the possibility of getting your collection into a cabinet? I don't know if this might be feasible for you from a space perspective, but that would protect the figures from the dust. Some cabinets are noticeably cheaper than one would assume!

And hey, that's a beautiful collection you got there indeed!  :)

overcooked780

Hello, and thank you! The thermostat is located almost right in the middle of the living room wall. My apartment is designed in a way which makes it difficult to set up these collections.. There is enough space in the living room to fit one bookshelf. As the collection grows, I will eventually look for another one and put it in there. I did have the smaller one in the living room originally, but I like having as many of them as possible in one spot. I am going to try tacking some blackout fabric to the wall where that gap is. Hoping that does the trick. The curtains do work well to prevent direct sunlight from hitting the shelves. It's just that gap where the light shines through the top and bounces off of the wall, lighting up parts of the room. But depending on the season and time of day, sometimes barely any light gets through. I did end up ordering the above mentioned to add to my collection. (PNSO Doyle the Triceratops, Suchomimus, Olorotitan, Cretoxyrhina, and also the Machairoceratops.) I haven't looked into cabinets, but it would be nice to eliminate the need to dust them off from time to time!

overcooked780

Collection update! I am still waiting on the Cretoxyrhina, and unfortunately the Olorotitan had paint chipping off in several noticeable spots which made it hard to justify the price, so I will be returning it.. But I am blown away by the other 3, especially the Museum Line Triceratops! The color scheme seemed a bit basic at first judging from photos online and I wondered if it would be worth the price. But it is excecuted so well with the way the different shades of brown and yellows are blended. Very impressive piece!

https://ibb.co/cD59VV9

Halichoeres

Bummer about the Olorotitan. Hope the Cretoxyrhina showed up in better condition!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.