News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 04:55:36 AMDid we come back to Procon?
I wouldn't go that far, but it is a bit of an unorthodox reconstruction.

I don't think its necessarily inaccurate tho (to my current understanding as of writing this). While a more Gastonia-like reconstruction makes sense giving how well known it is, its not the only other polacanthine. Peloroplites seems to be closer (based on a quick google search) and most reconstructions of it that I've seen omit the tall Gastonia-like osteoderms. That being said pretty much most of the images I can find are from the USU Eastern Prehistoric Museum mount, although it does seem like Peloroplites is known from good material. Granted this model isn't 1-1 with that mount but it does look closer to it than Gastonia.
Anyone that knows more about nodosaurs care to weigh in?

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Flaffy on November 17, 2023, 05:19:01 AMI really hope they're saving the best for last. The Velociraptor and now Polacanthus really feel like duds from a bygone CollectA era.
If that rumored list is all correct (which so far it is), then I hope the Placerias will make it all worth it.

Concavenator

I don't know what's with CollectA and those huge sizes. I'm glad for the people who likes those, but to me it comes across as really odd, I wish they released their figures in more moderate sizes like Safari's more often.

I'm assuming the list by Paleofiguras is true, after all. Not a single species from CollectA that interests me out of next year's lineup, then. Hope I will be luckier in 2025.

Jose S.M.

This Polacanthus resembles the WWD one a bit but it looks like it's from earlier "good" CollectA. I mean it doesn't look as bad as what they released in the "dark ages" but not like their recent offerings from last couple years either. Also not a fan of huge deluxe figures unless they are sauropods.

ceratopsian

I'm not a fan of huge sizes either.  Display space is at a premium.

Gwangi

Nothing that excites me this week.  :-\

Nyrorosaurus

Tracewyrm!

This isn't a terribly exciting release, but in case anyone wanted a look at that Sauropod pack

* (It's locked.)

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2023, 01:13:54 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 04:55:36 AMDid we come back to Procon?

This is a totally unfair statement.
It is a bit of a cynical way to put it and I don't entirely agree with the sentiment but I can kind of see the resemblence to older figures, especially in the eyes.

The general sculpt quality is definitely improved but something about the way the eyes are painted feels reminiscent to that style.

* (It's locked.)

suspsy

Fans were complaining for years about how CollectA was always giving their dinosaurs all-black eyes. Now when they finally make one that has coloured eyes, fans complain about it as well.

There's just no winning for these companies.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2023, 01:31:34 PMFans were complaining for years about how CollectA was always giving their dinosaurs all-black eyes. Now when they finally make one that has coloured eyes, fans complain about it as well.

I'm surprised by the negativity on every thread besides HLG and PNSO in general.
An oversized house cat.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on November 17, 2023, 12:55:17 PMSauropod minis

This is cute! I would probably swapped Agustinia and Nigersaurus for Mamenchisaurus and Bajadasaurus, since those two older sculpts look a bit too rough compared to the newer.Daxiatitan and Diplodocus would also be better choice than those and Paralititan and the smaller standing one (is that Rhoetosaurus? )

Bread

I'm even fine with the Velociraptor. But the scale size is what's so bothersome about these figures.

Quote from: Lynx on November 17, 2023, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2023, 01:31:34 PMFans were complaining for years about how CollectA was always giving their dinosaurs all-black eyes. Now when they finally make one that has coloured eyes, fans complain about it as well.
I'm surprised by the negativity on every thread besides HLG and PNSO in general.
Legit has swayed my interest in the forum heavily.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Bread on November 17, 2023, 01:46:58 PMI'm even fine with the Velociraptor. But the scale size is what's so bothersome about these figures.

Quote from: Lynx on November 17, 2023, 01:36:27 PM
Legit has swayed my interest in the forum heavily.

Like a said in another thread, companies that have great consecutive years are getting punished when they "miss"( and I mean by miss when they quality dips a little or just when they don't release a particular thing someone wants).

I get we have personal preferences but sometimes we do get carried away and critique as if the companies owe us something on a personal level and they really don't.

ceratopsian

I think the mini sauropods are very cute.  They'll look very sweet cavorting on the narrow ledge that makes the transition from bookshelf to cupboard in my study.  I keep quite a few minis on this ledge.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 12:18:35 PMNothing that excites me this week.  :-\

Me either. Well, the Polacanthus would if it was 'standard' sized

Tracewyrm!

I don't mind it either way, honestly. I never had complaints when it came to the black eyes, but looking at them, the Polacanthus and Velociraptor would arguably look worse with them. They have that older CollectA charm and it's all the better for them, in my opinion. Gives them some personality, if nothing else.

The black shiny look work at their best for species with smaller eyes.
* (It's locked.)

Pliosaurking

Nothing yet is enticing me either, unfortunately.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 17, 2023, 02:27:15 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 12:18:35 PMNothing that excites me this week.  :-\

Me either. Well, the Polacanthus would if it was 'standard' sized

Likewise. Well, at least there are a few extant animals that interest me, and those prehistorics I'm most excited for have not been revealed yet.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: