News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

OK this last week is a banger. IDC ABT the tripod pose on the Nanuqsaurus, it looks phenomenal even though I won't be getting it since I already have the Tyrannosaurus from BOTM in my collection

The diprotodon too. interesting they mentioned Marsupial lion attack, could this be foreshadowing?

The placerias is my favourite for this week. I may be convinced to buy it over the liscowia

bmathison1972

The Plaacerias is a must buy, as long as it's not toooooo big. I worry about 'Deluxe', but I'll have to wait until I get the measurements.

About the Nanuqsaurus...I may have found the first CollectA theropod I actually like and want  :o

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 24, 2023, 02:19:47 AMThe Plaacerias is a must buy, as long as it's not toooooo big. I worry about 'Deluxe', but I'll have to wait until I get the measurements.

About the Nanuqsaurus...I may have found the first CollectA theropod I actually like and want  :o

the placerias is 15.7cm long

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on November 24, 2023, 02:21:56 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 24, 2023, 02:19:47 AMThe Plaacerias is a must buy, as long as it's not toooooo big. I worry about 'Deluxe', but I'll have to wait until I get the measurements.

the placerias is 15.7cm long

that will work, thanks :-D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Not bad, just nothing I feel like I need to pickup at this point.

Fembrogon

That Placerias is a beauty! I'm so excited to finally see one of the big brands tackle this genus.

I was just thinking about how Nanuqsaurus deserves a figure by now, so that's cool too. I'm not sure how I feel about the appearance, though.

Diprotodon is another cool choice. It's much longer-legged than I would have expected! I'll have to read up on current reconstructions.

Carnoking

The Placerias is the first must have in my book! Perhaps there's a bit of nostalgia playing into that.

I'm sure the Diprotodon will be an exciting release for many but I couldn't care less.

As far as the Nanuqsaurus goes, I'm glad to see it, just not floored by the execution of it.

Gwangi

Saved the best for last, definitely getting the synapsids but I like the dinosaur too, will get all three.

Faelrin

If that Diprotodon has scars from a Thylacoleo, then I really hope we get one next year from them (or in the coming years). After Southlands Replicas model has been retired there's no other (mass produced) options out there for it. It's also great to have another figure of this giant marsupial available after Southlands Replicas is retired (which I have, but I might still try to pick this one up). The Thylacine-like coloration is speculative, but kind of a nice touch. Also nice to see another Cenozoic animal in the line, as last year didn't have any.

Not totally digging the detailing on the Placerias when compared to the earlier Lisowicia, but otherwise I really like the dynamic pose on it. It's so good to have another figure out there of it.

Seems like their year long Paleozoic and/or invert run has come to an end, but maybe next year (but last year also didn't have any Cenozoic representation, but this year it does, perhaps some alternating going forward?). That said Placerias is a Triassic period animal, and there aren't a lot of those on the market currently anyways.

Honestly aside from the last two, kind of a weak year for me, but then again considering how much I'm behind on picking up from them, that gives me some breathing room to work with to catch up.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SBell

For me, finally a couple 2024 releases I'd like to get...!

Dilopho

the placerias being bigger than the nanuqsaurus feels so weird...lol
i really like that placerias actually

the nanuqsaurus has a nice colour scheme but I'm not liking the tail

the diprotodon has thylacine colours..!

Prehistory Resurrection

Have quite mixed feelings about CollectA's releases for next year.

It was about time Nanuqsaurus got a figure. There isn't one yet from BOTM so it's nice to see. The colouration seems to be inspired by this image I found;

Really like this colouration. Most restorations of Nanuqsaurus show it as having a white coat of feathers, so it's refreshing to see a new color scheme for the feathering of Nanuqsaurus.
It's also time we got a feathered Tyrannosaurid from CollectA. I think the last was Lythronax if I'm not mistaken. But not a fan of this odd, tripod pose at all.  If it is in a tripod pose due to stability, then I think bases should be brought back.

Not a fan of the Diprotodon sculpt. I feel it could be better. The head looks...off for me. I feel the overall sculpt itself could be better. The detailing is well done though. I feel the Southland Replicas' version was better executed, though it's now retired. Not a fan of the Thylacine-inspired color scheme too. Because marsupials are endemic to Australia doesn't mean they had similar-ish colour schemes, I've seen some Thylacoleo restorations also sharing the same color scheme as the Thylacine. So yes, I feel this is not realistic. However, I think the torn ear, the scar on the hip caused by a Thylacoleo attack (hoping for a Thylacoleo from CollectA in the future) and the bite wound on the cheek from another rival Diprotodon are nice touches. As usual, CollectA adding these small yet unique details to their prehistoric animal figures give them a lot of personality. Also, finally a mammal. Speaking of Diprotodon, a Western Australian Museum palaeontology team is recovering several fossilized nearly complete Diprotodon skeletons at Du Boulay Creek, 100km south-west of Karratha. The skeletons are of juveniles and adults; suggesting the site may have been a major migration site; https://www.fwam.com.au/diprotodon-dig-unearths-skeletons-of-giant-wombat-like-marsupials/

The Placerias... Stunning.  CollectA's dicynodonts are on another level. Their Lisowicia was the first proof of that and this Placerias is yet another one.  A big fan of the walking pose. The detailing is very well done too. One of the few releases for next year that impressed me from CollectA.

Nanuqsaurus

Finally a Nanuqsaurus! :)) Although I'm not a huge fan of the sculpt. It kinda looks like it just got out of bed and has to get a coffee first before starting the day. The colours are pretty nice though!

The Diprotodon and Placerias both look nice to me, although the Placerias gives me naked mole rat vibes.

PrimevalRaptor

The Nanuqsaurus is pretty neat, about time that one got a figure, I can definitely see the kinda grumpy/sleepy look but the coloration is pretty neat and a nice divergence from the common white coat.
No expert on mammals so I can't speak much on the accuracy but while I do agree that the thylacine-like color scheme is a bit boring I do really like the inclusion of the scars and the torn ear, adds a lot of personality to it and it's something you'd expect on an animal like this.
The Placerias is definitely the winner of this batch for me though, about time we got another figure of this animal and I love the pose

Pliosaurking

I love the Placerias, the Diprotodon is nice but I don't really have much interest in it. Im happy to see a Nanuqsaurus, but I'm not a big fan of how it looks, perhaps it will look better in person.

Gwangi

At 20.5 cm long I'm not sure that I want the Diprotodon, it would be one of the largest mammals in my collection!  :-\

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Southlands is still available on Dejankins and is slightly smaller, if you would rather go that route.

https://www.dejankins.com/southlands17/Southlands-0001W-h8hye
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

I'm going to try and get that Placerias. I like the size and it's an animal that I've always wanted to have a figure of since WWD. The Diprotodon is nice but like the Lisowicia it's a little too big for my liking. There's something that doesn't convince me about the Nanuqsaurus, maybe its pose and something about its mouth.

Splonkadumpocus

Diprotodon and Placerias are definitely going on my list. Australia is severely underrepresented in my collection, and how could I as a proud Arizonian pass up Placerias? (plus my Postosuchus could use some fresh meat)

ceratopsian

I'm very happy to see the Placerias.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: