News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2023, 01:31:34 PMFans were complaining for years about how CollectA was always giving their dinosaurs all-black eyes. Now when they finally make one that has coloured eyes, fans complain about it as well.

There's just no winning for these companies.
Its no the eyes, but rather the proportions. Now the sauropod looked fine, and the sauropod last year was fine.
I just don't know what happened with CollectA good streak.

Duna

I thought I would never say that I prefer WWD Toyway polacanthus over any other figure by now. In the model of Collecta I really wonder what has happened with the dorsal osteoderms? No sense to have omitted them or add those two hanging low in a duplicated pair ...

On the other hand I apreciate the not-all-black eyes and that tube of mini sauropods is a must buy. Minis are always fun.

suspsy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 02:58:23 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2023, 01:31:34 PMFans were complaining for years about how CollectA was always giving their dinosaurs all-black eyes. Now when they finally make one that has coloured eyes, fans complain about it as well.

There's just no winning for these companies.
Its no the eyes, but rather the proportions. Now the sauropod looked fine, and the sauropod last year was fine.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the proportions.

QuoteI just don't know what happened with CollectA good streak.

It's still going on. Not personally liking their product(s) doesn't mean much.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

The Polacanthus looks pretty good to me, but I'm not up to speed on current reconstructions of the animal. I admit the size of the figure reduces my chances of getting it.
I wonder why Collecta doesn't do both standard and deluxe variants of figures anymore - did the sales eat into each other or something?

Sim

The Polacanthus looks very unappealing to me.  Its paintjob looks muddy and unpleasant, and the pose with the tail up all the way looks unnatural, all in my opinion.  I wouldn't get it even if it was a size I'd be happy with, which it isn't.  It looks like I won't be getting anything from CollectA's prehistoric releases for 2024.  The Dearc is too big, the Velociraptor has a shrunken pubis and this Polacanthus really doesn't appeal to me.  The other species don't interest me.

GojiraGuy1954

I'm just gonna keep my Papo Polacanthus.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Prehistory Resurrection

GojiraGuy1954

Sim

Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 17, 2023, 01:39:23 PMI would probably swapped Agustinia and Nigersaurus for Mamenchisaurus and Bajadasaurus
Mamenchisaurus is one of the figures.

Concavenator

Asked for Apatosaurus, Eoraptor and new versions of Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus. Didn't ask for Plateosaurus because Wild Past plans to release one.

Dilopho

The polacanthus and Velociraptor really look like their older style. Kinda Derpy. But overall decent

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Sim on November 17, 2023, 09:15:24 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 17, 2023, 01:39:23 PMI would probably swapped Agustinia and Nigersaurus for Mamenchisaurus and Bajadasaurus
Mamenchisaurus is one of the figures.

That's right! I thought it was Ruyangosaurus.

Flaffy

No CollectA tube has ever surpassed the quality and creativity of their Ancient Marine Life Tube... from the simple fact that most of these are new unique sculpts. Not impressed by the 2024 Sauropod tube. I wouldn't have minded CollectA recycling species had they given them updated sculpts to reflect modern science, but simply shrinking down their old outdated sculpts is just disappointing.

Faelrin

I'm still waiting for them to do larger versions of their Leedsichthys and Archelon minis from that set. At least they did the Xiphactinus (and Dunkleosteus).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Crackington

Enjoying this thread and the wide range of opinions here!

Thanks to the folk sharing the pictures and videos of the forthcoming releases.

Some observations- all the new releases at least look like decent attempts at creating animals even if they do have (minor?) accuracy issues. It will be interesting to see how they are priced compared to the higher end Chinese company models?

The Velociraptor looks a bit mangy and underfed, perhaps its coming out of a moult or is surviving a drought?

The Dreadnoughtus looks a much better figure than the Titanosaur on sale in the London Natural History Museum. I like it's colours too.

Like Duna, I prefer the old Toyway Polacanthus which is a more striking figure. Perhaps Collecta should have been a bit more daring in the colour scheme as the sculpt isn't bad?

I love the mini sauropods and am more likely to purchase these rather than the others- space issues mean that small is beautiful for me!

The marine tube was one of my favourite new figure buys in recent years - so fully agree with Flaffy there. However, I quite like Collecta minaturising some of their larger offerings, hence my divergent view on the mini long necks. Means I can get 'em!

Lynx

I like the idea of the Velociraptor molting!
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on November 17, 2023, 09:24:08 PMAsked for Apatosaurus, Eoraptor and new versions of Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus. Didn't ask for Plateosaurus because Wild Past plans to release one.
I like Wild Past releases but i'd be lying if I said I didn't jump a little whenever I see the prices they get listed for on ED despite being such small figures

I get why they cost so much but that doesn't mean I have to like that they do

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on November 17, 2023, 09:24:08 PMAsked for Apatosaurus, Eoraptor and new versions of Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus. Didn't ask for Plateosaurus because Wild Past plans to release one.
I asked for Amargasaurus, Barosaurus and a larger Brontosaurus.

Halichoeres

I was definitely expecting better from the Polacanthus. In 25 years you'd think somebody could top the WWD one, but not so far. This is a lot nicer than Papo's, though.

Nice of them to include something for all those tiny sauropods to eat!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Renecito

Popular Nanuqsaurus – stalking (length 15.7 cm, height 4.5 cm)

CollectA Deluxe 1:20 Diprotodon (length 20.5 cm, height at the shoulder to be around 12.5 cm).

CollectA Deluxe 1:20 Placerias (length 15.7 cm, height 8 cm).

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: