News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Is the Suchomimus the work of Seo Jung-woon? Anyways, let that sculptor take care of Papo's prehistoric animals going forward, please and thank you.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Concavenator on November 17, 2023, 09:13:44 PMIs the Suchomimus the work of Seo Jung-woon? Anyways, let that sculptor take care of Papo's prehistoric animals going forward, please and thank you.
Looks like he did the sucho and the dragon that looks like MH fatalis

Flaffy

I highly suspect the same sculptor that did the Einiosaurus also sculpted next year's Ampelosaurus and Corythosaurus given their shoddy anatomy and style of detailing.

Fembrogon

Well I don't hate them. The two herbivores seem... Alright? Corythosaurus would probably be better off with the hoof nails, though.
That Suchomimus is obviously a digital render; but if the final product can match it, that figure will end up being one of Papo's best dinosaurs ever.

Fembrogon

Everything Dinosaur commented on the leaked Papo images earlier today:

QuoteSad to see that once again new figures for 2024 have been leaked (Papo).  Ampelosaurus, Corythosaurus and Suchomimus.  Just for the record, none of these figures are scheduled for early 2024.  The Ampelosaurus has a Q2-Q3 schedule, the Corythosaurus expected towards the back of next year (Q3-Q4), the Suchomimus is scheduled for Q4, I guess that is why there is only an artist's drawing of the Suchomimus at the moment.

Facebook post

Blade-of-the-Moon

Dilophosaurus_8o

okay, so I haven't been on this forum much at all, but I was browsing it after a while of absence to see that the new papo 2024 dinosaurs have been leaked and I wanted to give my two cents on this interesting batch.

Ampelosaurus: Honestly my least favorite of the batch, I'm not sure if the reconstruction used by papo is still supported by newer research, but it looks alright. It would be a pretty good figure if the haolonggood Ampelosaurus didn't exist, I may pick this one up instead of the HLG one however depending on the price. I dislike the open mouth. Overall I'd give it a 7/10

Corythosaurus: A lot of people don't like this one, but there's something about it I find very appealing. The detail reminds me of papo's glory days. It looks rather nimble for a large Hadrosaur, however. I would give it a 7.5/10 personally.

And finally, the Suchomimus. WOW, what a thing of beauty. Papo's last three years have been very dissappointing to me. The abominable Protoceratops and the AI generated looking Concavenator have tarnished the companys reputation among the dinosaur model commumity to a point where I thought a recovery would be impossible. But oh my days, this Suchomimus rivals PNSO. I love it. The green coloration works wonderfully, the pose is beautiful, and it seems accurate to me. I will definitely pick this one up. Shame it's Q4 though. 10/10.
I've been sleeping in a cardboard box, spending every dollar at the liquor shop, but even though I know I haven't got a lot, I'll try to give you love until the day you drop

SenSx

I've been crying for Suchomimus for years,who could have known we would end up with two good figures of the specie and one from Papo !
I just hope it will be in about 1/35 scale to go along with the PNSO.

Blade-of-the-Moon

After seeing that the Suchomimus is just a render I would cautiously optimistic. Has at any point in the past Papo shown a render that matched the finished product?

SpartanSquat

I think spielzeug store leaked the dates for papo releases. So I will wait one year for the sucho.

About my opinion of these 3.

Ampelosaurus: Not my favourite of the market but looks an improvement over the concavenator. This is the same who did amarga and polacanthus?
Corythosaurus: I prefferd wait and see how looks, but look like it was made by the einiosaurus sculptor but looks an improvement.
Suchomimus: Looks great! Looks like mr seo nailed again! Along with krono, mosa, the dragons and this gave me vibes of papo better times when I went to the museum shop to buy papo figures. Good times. I hope mr seo will do more dinosaurs. Also I will wait for better catalog pics due this reminds me to the gator posted pages ago.
Bonus: Alpha Dragon: Other dragon for the collection. Looks like MH fatalis but a little generic. The wyvern and dreki were cool and you can see clearly are inspired by the rahatlos and the lagiacris respectively. This is generic but well done.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 18, 2023, 03:57:21 PMAfter seeing that the Suchomimus is just a render I would cautiously optimistic. Has at any point in the past Papo shown a render that matched the finished product?
The alligator figure looks better than the render they used to promote it
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Prehistory Resurrection

The more I look at the offering from Papo, the more I have mixed feelings. When I said I liked it; I think it's because of the unique pose which looks like it's in a defensive mode or calling for others. Their own Gorgosaurus can be displayed with it. I think it's good to see from Papo opt a pose that others haven't incorporated. It's not as wacky and as an eyesore like the pose of the Giganotosaurus. However, while the color is naturalistic, it could be more vibrant such as on the crest. And I think some changes to the sculpt could make it better. I'll need to see in-hand pictures of this one to make a proper judgement.

crazy8wizard

Is it just me or does the Corythosaurus' head look too small?

Flaffy

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 18, 2023, 07:14:08 PMIs it just me or does the Corythosaurus' head look too small?

Hard to tell, but I do hope we don't get another bobblehead PNSO Caroline situation again. Corythosaurus was known to have had a rather diminutive head.

Skeletal for reference:

" Comparison of lambeosaurine hadrosaurs: Corythosaurus casuarius (a), Lambeosaurus lambei (b) and Hypacrosaurus stebingeri (c). Cranial differences are in the crest, whereas most postcranial differences are in the neural spine height. Other differences are minor. Courtesy of Gregory S. Paul. Scale bar 1 m"

Interestingly, I feel the body morphology (specifically the hump) is closer in both size and shape to Hypacrosaurus instead of Corythosaurus. Though equally this might just be an artefact of the angle the figure is posed in.

Regardless, I have no intentions of replacing my Carnegie Corythosaurus. I stand by that the Carnegie ver. is one of the most beautiful and elegant hadrosaur figures on the market despite it's age and minor inaccuracies.

Primeval12

Oh, shoot. Now I want some of that Pandora coral to display some marine life.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 21, 2023, 04:34:24 PMOh, shoot. Now I want some of that Pandora coral to display some marine life.

Search outlet stores. Walmart clearanced them out a few months ago, I snagged three for 10.00 each.

EuropaSuchus

Ampelosaurus: please, let's finally bury this "Ampelosaurus was a sauropod tank" paleomyth/paleomeme and focus on really interesting sauropods that were bizarre as actual fossils, not weird recons. Real Ampelosaurus is:
1) known from multi-age, probably multi-species bonebed, meaning we can't learn its proportions; 2) more likely looked just like usual, average Late Cretaceous titanosaur. So not comments about this figure.

2) Corythosaurus: very underrepresented yet iconic genus, love an idea, but figure has both bland boring look and flawed proportions.

3) Suchomimus: hard to say something, since there is not photos, only something like digital render, but it gives not really good "early 2000s spinosaurid recon" vibes, like Dorling Kindersley (did I spell it right?) Baryonyx. Would prefer sometimes more similar to PNSO version.

Ikessauro

It has been a while since I've been this excited for a Papo dinosaur. Photos of the Suchomimus in the Nuremberg toy fair, posted by jurassic.german on Instagram.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Holy shit, that looks quite nice.

Tracewyrm!

That's a lot better than I was anticipating, even looking at the promo render! What a comeback from Papo! I know this is a nitpick but here's to hoping that it's not too far out of my scale range.  ;D
* (It's locked.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: