News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mojo: New for 2024

Started by Renecito, December 12, 2023, 03:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

LucasLiu

SidB

Nyrorosaurus

Mojo occasionally comes out with some surprisingly well sculpted/researched dinosaurs (the Mamenchisaurus and 2019 Triceratops come to mind), so I was curious to see what they came up with this year, but these look like bargain bin figures. Stego seems to be heavily based on the Papo one. Very odd that they did two different Parasaurs.

Faelrin

Aren't those Parasaurolophus just repaints of their older sculpts? Not sure about the Stegosaurus but it wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: Yep, their instagram confirms these are repaints of older models. Kind of disappointing to see tbh, but they've really been neglecting the prehistoric stuff for years.

Gonna add some images here in a moment.

Edit 2:

Okay so the first sculpt came out in 2011, and had a repaint of it come out in 2017:

The second Parasaurolophus sculpt came out in 2015, and also received a repaint in 2017:

The Stegosaurus first came out in 2011, and to my knowledge this is the first repaint of it:

Now I don't think it is totally fair to judge these repaints on the same standards as if these were sculpted today, because well they weren't. I think Mojo has improved in the past few years as far as their sculpts go.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on December 12, 2023, 03:28:50 PMAren't those Parasaurolophus just repaints of their older sculpts? Not sure about the Stegosaurus but it wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: Yep, their instagram confirms these are repaints of older models. Kind of disappointing to see tbh, but they've really been neglecting the prehistoric stuff for years.

Gonna add some images here in a moment.
They had a comparatively better Stego sculpt they could've used instead, too

suspsy

They could at least have repainted some of their more recent prehistoric toys as opposed to old ones. I do hope there's at least one brand new toy yet to be revealed, although my expectations are low.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

Yeah I do agree some of the more recent models would have been better to repaint. That said I do wonder why they keep returning to repainting their older models time and time again. Just a quick look on the DTC shows this.

Also in case folks have missed it, definitely check out the edit on my above post.

Edit: Even their extant animals this year have received repainted counterparts, particularly the lion pair and the gecko.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Sure would be nice if Mojo could reuse more Southlands Replicas moulds. The Thylacoleo and Diprotodon were excellent; they fully deserve to be given a second chance.

Fembrogon

Those are excruciatingly mundane, regardless of being repaints. I concur there are far better figures in their catalog they could be repurposing.

Flaffy

Wake me up when they actually reveal anything of substance (gimme more mammals).

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

bmathison1972

The Troodon appears to be a repaint. I have been considering getting this figure to represent Stenonychosaurus.

suspsy

Very lame, Mojo. Sure hope you're saving the new stuff for last.

Sim

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 13, 2023, 03:31:46 PMThe Troodon appears to be a repaint. I have been considering getting this figure to represent Stenonychosaurus.
Both it and the Baryonyx are repaints.  Have you considered the Beasts of the Mesozoic Stenonychosaurus/Troodon?  I think I read that you don't collect action figures, although you have some articulated insect figures?  The BotM figure is the best troodontid figure that exists and it has less articulation than other figures in the line.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on December 13, 2023, 09:42:10 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 13, 2023, 03:31:46 PMThe Troodon appears to be a repaint. I have been considering getting this figure to represent Stenonychosaurus.
Both it and the Baryonyx are repaints.  Have you considered the Beasts of the Mesozoic Stenonychosaurus/Troodon?  I think I read that you don't collect action figures, although you have some articulated insect figures?  The BotM figure is the best troodontid figure that exists and it has less articulation than other figures in the line.

I do not like articulated figures. I tolerate them for insects/arthropods because that is my main focus, and some taxa of interest. Honestly, and this may be sacrilege on this forum, but I do not like BotM figures at all. The articulations are too obvious and many, the colors are too bold, and most are too big for my tastes. They are very well done generally speaking, they just do not appeal to me personally. At all.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I definitely agree that most both colors are simply way too much. While I don't necessarily mind the articulation, I would kill for static 1/35 variants of the amazing sculpts they have.

Fembrogon

The Troodon repaint is... okay, I guess... but the Baryonyx is a definite downgrade. It literally looks like poop.

Takama

Welp MOJO your Redemption streak has officialy ended.

WHY MUST YOU INSIST ON REPAINTING YOUR INFEREIR SCULPTS?

and what happend to expanding your excelent 2020 line up?  (Speaking as a person who actauly cared for it).

Stegotyranno420

I used to be a champion for mojo, but now they have reverted to garbage.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: