News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on May 17, 2024, 04:37:24 PMAlso that gastonia is really nice... I think HLG is finally escaping a big problem they've had, the cartoony eye, now they just need to stop with the squiggles, which they have been doing but unfortunately the gastonia has them on its side, I will say they don't look too bad there tho. I do just wish the gastonia was a little, crunchier??? maybe a dark wash could help being out the scale detail especially on the face and the back but betides that it looks great. Also I like the baby

Indeed they have very much improved the design of the eyes of their models and this makes a huge difference. They are now more circular and also they do not have that white background any more. These two modifications combine to make them appear more realistic and not cartoony or human. They essentially do now what PNSO has been doing from the beginning.

I do like that they seem to have done away with the white squiggles which were placed on top of the nice paint scheme of several of their earlier figures. As you and some others have said several times, less is sometimes more. OK some of the dark lines along the side of the Gastonia are still a bit squiggly, but then where is the boundary between on one hand a simple regular striping pattern like in the PNSO Alamosaurus and then the network like striping pattern of the PNSO Edmontosaurus. I feel these dark somewhat squiggly lines on the Gastonia fit somewhat into this continuum.

What is however becoming an issue over time is that Haolonggood seems to have a rather limited palette of base colors. We have more or less one tone of green and one tone of brown. Yes there are gradients and many color accents placed over the base color which result in nice variantion, but nevertheless the base colors remain very much the same. We can see this when we place for example the green version of Ouranosaurus, Tlatolophus, Dacentrurus, Chasmosaurus, Wuerhosaurus next to each other. Each on their own looks good but next to each other they have pretty much the same base color.

For some reason you do not get that effect when you place several PNSO models next to each other. They seem to be mixing the base color each time a bit differently, to the effect that although many of their models are brown to brown-green they nevertheless look somewhat more different next to each other. Maybe Haolonggood should invest now in a extended color palette in the factory they are using. I would say that this would be a better investment than producing more of these elaborate resin versions of their models.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 17, 2024, 04:57:23 PMHow would you compare PNSO's Sauropelta & Borealopelta vs Haolonggood Edmontonia & Gastonia if you can buy only one of them? I have ankylosaurus already. Need a nodosaur.

Both the PNSO Sauropelta and Borealopelta are nice models. However, they both have the very rough surface texture that PNSO used some years ago. They are not near the fine skin textures and details that they produce these days. The same applies to the Ankylosaurus as well, but because this is so much bigger it does not bother me that much. For this very reason I got only the Borealopelta and not the Sauropelta. I got a 3D printed resin model of Sauropelta from Dinosauria Creatures instead. Personally I would actually go for the Haolonggood Gastonia if you have no nodosaur already.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 05:00:24 PMWe can see this when we place for example the green version of Ouranosaurus, Tlatolophus, Dacentrurus, Chasmosaurus, Wuerhosaurus next to each other. Each on their own looks good but next to each other they have pretty much the same base color.
I think your point is valid, but I have to say the green Wuerhosaurus uses a lighter shade of green than the others.  The green Maiasaura seems to use the same green as the others you listed.

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 05:00:24 PMFor some reason you do not get that effect when you place several PNSO models next to each other. They seem to be mixing the base color each time a bit differently, to the effect that although many of their models are brown to brown-green they nevertheless look somewhat more different next to each other. Maybe Haolonggood should invest now in a extended color palette in the factory they are using. I would say that this would be a better investment than producing more of these elaborate resin versions of their models.
I do agree Haolonggood would benefit from using more tones, but a lot of the ones used in their Stegosaurus prototypes are new.  As for PNSO's colourations, I know I'm not alone in thinking they get repetitive.  I don't know if the shades they use have been used for more than one figure, but off the top of my head their recent Wuerhosaurus seems to have the same brown as their Mapusaurus and the same beige/yellow as their Yangchuanosaurus "magnus".  I find Haolonggood's colourations more interesting generally, although I am tired of that green with white stripes that Haolonggood has used on three of their ornithopods now.  I also don't want to see the blue with orange highlights again either.  I love it on Haolonggood's Baryonyx, but it's been used on their Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus too and I wouldn't want to have another figure that looks like that.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 05:00:24 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on May 17, 2024, 04:37:24 PMAlso that gastonia is really nice... I think HLG is finally escaping a big problem they've had, the cartoony eye, now they just need to stop with the squiggles, which they have been doing but unfortunately the gastonia has them on its side, I will say they don't look too bad there tho. I do just wish the gastonia was a little, crunchier??? maybe a dark wash could help being out the scale detail especially on the face and the back but betides that it looks great. Also I like the baby

Indeed they have very much improved the design of the eyes of their models and this makes a huge difference. They are now more circular and also they do not have that white background any more. These two modifications combine to make them appear more realistic and not cartoony or human. They essentially do now what PNSO has been doing from the beginning.

I do like that they seem to have done away with the white squiggles which were placed on top of the nice paint scheme of several of their earlier figures. As you and some others have said several times, less is sometimes more. OK some of the dark lines along the side of the Gastonia are still a bit squiggly, but then where is the boundary between on one hand a simple regular striping pattern like in the PNSO Alamosaurus and then the network like striping pattern of the PNSO Edmontosaurus. I feel these dark somewhat squiggly lines on the Gastonia fit somewhat into this continuum.

What is however becoming an issue over time is that Haolonggood seems to have a rather limited palette of base colors. We have more or less one tone of green and one tone of brown. Yes there are gradients and many color accents placed over the base color which result in nice variantion, but nevertheless the base colors remain very much the same. We can see this when we place for example the green version of Ouranosaurus, Tlatolophus, Dacentrurus, Chasmosaurus, Wuerhosaurus next to each other. Each on their own looks good but next to each other they have pretty much the same base color.

For some reason you do not get that effect when you place several PNSO models next to each other. They seem to be mixing the base color each time a bit differently, to the effect that although many of their models are brown to brown-green they nevertheless look somewhat more different next to each other. Maybe Haolonggood should invest now in a extended color palette in the factory they are using. I would say that this would be a better investment than producing more of these elaborate resin versions of their models.

I agree with everything said. That's why I roll my eyes whenever I read "PNSO BAD CUZ BROWN" obviously that's just my opinion and I'm not trying start the war that has happened so many times on this forum when it comes to dino coloration but I will just say, I'm actually colorblind and even I can differentiate and appreciate the varieties of pnso's color schemes regardless if they are all similar colors.

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on May 17, 2024, 05:39:24 PMI agree with everything said. That's why I roll my eyes whenever I read "PNSO BAD CUZ BROWN" obviously that's just my opinion and I'm not trying start the war that has happened so many times on this forum when it comes to dino coloration but I will just say, I'm actually colorblind and even I can differentiate and appreciate the varieties of pnso's color schemes regardless if they are all similar colors.

Actually I have been wondering for quite a while how PNSO actually does their painting, I mean how they get these subtle gradients and these variations in base colors. I have a feel that they could be using a layering technique like miniature painters do it. Probably they have also automated that painting process. This would give them endless possibilities for modifying their base colors even if they have to work with a limited set of paints.

What I noticed is that the base colors of the two large Haolonggood sauropods, the Alamosaurus and Mamenchisaurus, seem a bit different from the colors of their smaller figures. In the case of the Alamosaurus, this applies to the limited edition version that I got. I noticed that when these two large figures arrived and were unpacked, they initially had a strong smell of paint. This slowly disappeared over several days. I never noticed something like that for the smaller models. This could indicate that they use a different set of paints or a different process for the large sauropods.

Pachyventer

Concavenator

They are also up on AliExpress, Paleofiguras has posted the links.

Quote from: Sim on May 17, 2024, 05:14:05 PMI am tired of that green with white stripes that Haolonggood has used on three of their ornithopods now.

Same.

thomasw100

Paleofiguras posted what most likely will be the two colorations of the Stegosaurus. In addition, there might be a third limited edition variant.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 05:06:39 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 17, 2024, 04:57:23 PMHow would you compare PNSO's Sauropelta & Borealopelta vs Haolonggood Edmontonia & Gastonia if you can buy only one of them? I have ankylosaurus already. Need a nodosaur.

Both the PNSO Sauropelta and Borealopelta are nice models. However, they both have the very rough surface texture that PNSO used some years ago. They are not near the fine skin textures and details that they produce these days. The same applies to the Ankylosaurus as well, but because this is so much bigger it does not bother me that much. For this very reason I got only the Borealopelta and not the Sauropelta. I got a 3D printed resin model of Sauropelta from Dinosauria Creatures instead. Personally I would actually go for the Haolonggood Gastonia if you have no nodosaur already.

Yeah I bought PNSO Ankylosaurus because it wasn't museum line despite being famous dinosaur. Scales doesn't have that fine detail but it's difficult to see because of armor & washed out colors. It was around Haolonggood price for a quite big ankylosaur model. Their next Ankylosaurus might be as expensive as Stegosaurus or Triceratops in museum line.

Thanks for the input. Painting on gastonia's face is quite improvement over Edmontonia imo.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 06:45:11 PMPaleofiguras posted what most likely will be the two colorations of the Stegosaurus. In addition, there might be a third limited edition variant.

So these are just concepts? Colors changed again. I like 1st and 3rd now.

Cretaceous Hunter

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 17, 2024, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on May 17, 2024, 06:45:11 PMPaleofiguras posted what most likely will be the two colorations of the Stegosaurus. In addition, there might be a third limited edition variant.

So these are just concepts? Colors changed again.

These seem to be prototypes posted for community input on the color scheme(s).  The mold will likely be nearly the same, but paint detail will be different in the final factory production.

1st and 2nd seem to be 003 and 004 in the original posting with the 3rd being a new color scheme proposed for a limited run.

Sim

Aww, it looks like my favourite colour scheme for the Stegosaurus won't make it! :(  The green one looks more vibrant, which I prefer.  It looks like that will be the one I get then.  They seem to have combined the body of the "fruity" one with the blue plates of the one I like most...  It's not an improvement in my opinion.  If I get the green Stegosaurus, it will be the third green stegosaurian I have by Haolonggood!  And I wouldn't say no to a green Huayangosaurus too, green suits it!

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 17, 2024, 07:05:29 PMAww, it looks like my favourite colour scheme for the Stegosaurus won't make it! :(  The green one looks more vibrant, which I prefer.  It looks like that will be the one I get then.  They seem to have combined the body of the "fruity" one with the blue plates of the one I like most...  It's not an improvement in my opinion.  If I get the green Stegosaurus, it will be the third green stegosaurian I have by Haolonggood!  And I wouldn't say no to a green Huayangosaurus too, green suits it!

Green one is a classic stegosaurus colors. Most natural looking one too. New Fruity better than old one by large margin for me because of the new plates. Same reason now i don't like light blue one, those half yellow plates with white lines looks ugly to my eyes.
I'm gonna buy stegosaurus from Haolonggood.  I was hesitant because of PNSO price and waiting on what Haolonggood has for us. They are gonna make it difficult now with these new color possibilities.

Sim

The green Stegosaurus looks like it will go well with PNSO's, the similar colouration showing they are related species.  The blue Stegosaurus scares me a bit...  It has a colouration that I imagine for Tuojiangosaurus or Hesperosaurus.  I hope if Haolonggood does those two species they won't be green again..

Gwangi

It would figure that the two paint jobs available wouldn't be the two I like the most.  :P If those are the two I have to choose between then I'll probably get the blue. There aren't many blue dinosaurs in my collection.

Sim

I have to say I like the Haolonggood Gastonia's pose!  It's great to see Haolonggood varying the poses of their figures.

ceratopsian

I'm in the same boat. Ah well!

Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2024, 08:23:08 PMIt would figure that the two paint jobs available wouldn't be the two I like the most.  :P If those are the two I have to choose between then I'll probably get the blue. There aren't many blue dinosaurs in my collection.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

The green Gastonia is absolutely gorgeous, now all we need is a 1:35 Utahraptor from HLG and we'll be all set for a fantastic diorama!

Turkeysaurus

I hope Fruity Stegosaurus makes the cut. It got better while blue got worse imo.

Ludodactylus

Definitely hoping for mixed berry Stegosaurus!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: