News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 14, 2024, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 11:12:39 AM
Quote from: thomasw100 on June 14, 2024, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: SenSx on June 14, 2024, 09:11:30 AMThose stegosaurus don't have cheeks though.
What is the current consensus on that according to the latest researches ?

If you go with Nabavizadeh and Weishampel, dinosaurs should not have had cheeks, but rather something like pseudocheeks. Mammals have cheeks because they need to suck milk as infants. Dinosaurs therefore do not need cheeks. This latest research seems to be increasingly being adopted in dinosaur models and figures. The PNSO Edmontosaurus has no cheeks any more. Unfortunately, the Haolonggood Maiasaura still has. I like that the Haolonggood Stegosaurus ungulatus has no cheeks.

But they do not need cheeks to keep the food in their mouths ?
I red stegosaurus had rear teeth that suggest it had cheeks.

Because the word cheeks refers to the muscles. No dinosaur had/has cheeks, but that doesnt mean they couldn't had skin flaps. The studies only talk about muscles and they leave the door open for the presence of skin flaps, that could help with food. From the outside there could be no difference in the appearance, the Maiasaura not necessarily has cheeks, maybe are just skin flaps, no muscles. A later study on mechanics of some ornithichian dinosaur mandibles conclude that they needed skin flaps for them to work properly. Worth noting some dinosaurs (birds of prey) have skin flaps, and turtles have them too.

Indeed this option of skin flaps is still a possibility. PNSO has smartly gone around this with their Edmontosaurus by having the mouth closed. I understood the initial question rather in terms of classical muscular cheeks, which would be typical of mammals but old dinosaur reconstructions had such cheeks. An important point would be the level of kinesis during chewing that a particular dinosaur was capable of. From what I read, this was quite restricted in stegosaurs, but more evolved ones like Stegosaurus had more possibilities for some kinetics during chewing than earlier ones like Huayangosaurus for examples.

Sim

I think I'm going to wait until there are photos or videos from customers of the Haolonggood Stegosaurus before deciding which to get.  I'm considering getting the blue one, I agree it would have looked better without the white lines on the plates, but I feel it looks better with yellow on the plates rather than fully red plates.  The green one's colouration looks overused to me and doesn't excite me, but I'm aware I might change my mind if I have the figure, like I did about the colouration of the PNSO museum Stegosaurus.  I love the colours on the "fruity" Stegosaurus, but I dislike how they are arranged on the body, so that one is definitely one I won't get.

Faelrin

Still can't decide. They all look nice.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 14, 2024, 06:27:52 PMI think I'm going to wait until there are photos or videos from customers of the Haolonggood Stegosaurus before deciding which to get.  I'm considering getting the blue one, I agree it would have looked better without the white lines on the plates, but I feel it looks better with yellow on the plates rather than fully red plates.  The green one's colouration looks overused to me and doesn't excite me, but I'm aware I might change my mind if I have the figure, like I did about the colouration of the PNSO museum Stegosaurus.  I love the colours on the "fruity" Stegosaurus, but I dislike how they are arranged on the body, so that one is definitely one I won't get.

If I already had PNSO and still want to get HLG, i would choose one of the non classic ones.

Sim

Thanks avatar_Turkeysaurus @Turkeysaurus.  A part of me wants to have figures that look more different to each other, but I did get the yellow Haolonggood Tianzhenosaurus even though I already had the PNSO Ankylosaurus and in person they don't look too alike...  In fact both look excellent.  However I did pass on the grey Haolonggood Scolosaurus because it looked too much like the PNSO Zuul to me, and I got the yellow Scolosaurus instead.  So I'm not sure which Steg to get...  I might end up getting both the ones I'm considering and see what I think of them in person.

Carnoking

I'm leaning towards the blue myself after further reflection. The white plate lines may be an eyesore and it might be "another blue figure" but it's still distinct enough to be the attention grabber among the three.

Sim

I'm currently captivated by the blue Haolonggood Stegosaurus.  I think that is the one I'll get!

SenSx

I still might be staying with the Rebor one.
Ok it did not have cheeks, but I red somwhere that stegosaurus had rear tooth used for mastication, it should have some skin tissue to cover his mouth and prevent the food from falling.

Sure I like the Haolonggood head more but...
I wish we knew how it really was  :'(

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Primeval12 on June 11, 2024, 11:18:30 PMOk... this looks cool! Was just teased on their Instagram and TikTok. Thanks to the YDAW Server for this info

What do we make of this prey item??? It looks like a short-tailed theropod of some sort but I can't ID the species.

V @vampiredesign could you possibly comment on whether or not this model will eventually become a mass produced figure?

Faelrin

I would very much like to have this big beaky boi. Been a while since they did their Quetzalcoatlus too, so a new pterosaur would be a nice breather from all the dinosaurs (as great as they are).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

I'm very hyped for a Hatzegopteryx.
Would love a Arambourgiana as well, they would make a good trio.

Turkeysaurus

I hope they sell single Hatzegopteryx. If i'm correct you have to buy 2
Quetzalcoatlus (one of them unpainted) and that doubles the price. >:(

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 15, 2024, 12:21:23 AMI hope they sell single Hatzegopteryx. If i'm correct you have to buy 2

Honestly I don't mind the two of them, it's that they're oversized for 1:35 for me, so hopefully this new one is actually 1:35!

thomasw100

First in hand picture of Stegosaurus ungulatus as per Paleofiguras. The PNSO stegosaurus is also shown for comparison.

SenSx

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on June 15, 2024, 12:53:08 AM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 15, 2024, 12:21:23 AMI hope they sell single Hatzegopteryx. If i'm correct you have to buy 2

Honestly I don't mind the two of them, it's that they're oversized for 1:35 for me, so hopefully this new one is actually 1:35!

I also own this Quetzalcoatlus, and I'm curious to how oversized it really is ?
Can't it be a large 1/35 one ?

Concavenator

Quote from: SenSx on June 15, 2024, 01:21:34 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on June 15, 2024, 12:53:08 AM

I also own this Quetzalcoatlus, and I'm curious to how oversized it really is ?
Can't it be a large 1/35 one ?

I don't know, but worth mentioning its proportions are pretty inaccurate.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 15, 2024, 01:00:32 PMFirst in hand picture of Stegosaurus ungulatus as per Paleofiguras. The PNSO stegosaurus is also shown for comparison.

Dang, the greens and yellows/oranges are brighter on HLG's version compared to PNSO's, in a very complementary way. They actually look pretty good together imo!

thomasw100

Quote from: Quiversaurus on June 15, 2024, 02:06:55 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on June 15, 2024, 01:00:32 PMFirst in hand picture of Stegosaurus ungulatus as per Paleofiguras. The PNSO stegosaurus is also shown for comparison.

Dang, the greens and yellows/oranges are brighter on HLG's version compared to PNSO's, in a very complementary way. They actually look pretty good together imo!

That was my impression as well and if we add the Haolonggood Dacentrurus they will make for a very nice group ensemble of stegosaurs.

Ludodactylus

These just keep looking better and better. Looking forward to adding one (or two, who knows) to my shelves.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Turkeysaurus

They look leaner compared to PNSO. I think im gonna get fruity btw.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: