News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 25, 2024, 08:43:15 AM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 01:42:49 PMI was very excited for the fruity version but that side by side view with PNSO Allosaurus/Saurophaganax... HELL NAH 

I appreciate all the info you are feeding us with especially about natural environment which i am weak at....  BUT this is when you just forget it all say Allosaurus better hit the gym.:D

Fruit had no bussiness to be look this natural.

This whole discussion about size has gone the wrong way in my opinion. The discussion focused too much on the exact size estimate of that Apex stegosaur skeleton and then which skeletal reconstruction someone does believe or does not believe.

Regardless of these details, I find it acceptable if a model from PNSO or Haolonggood (the two companies which claim that they produce scientific art models or whatever you may call them) is based on some published work. In the case of the Haolonggood model, there seems reasonably good agreement with the skeletal in the paper by Galton (2010).

There will always be debate and disagreement in science and especially in geology and paleontology it is difficult to solve all questions beyond doubt because the fossil record is so incomplete. This applies even more to the size range of a fossil animal, because (and I have said that before in another thread) the maybe 100 rather complete fossils of a species are a tiny fraction of the millions of individuals of that species that have ever existed.

The paleontology blogger The Vividen has actually taken an interesting approach for estimating the maximum size of a species. He generated a statistical database of several extinct and living species and calculated the ratio between the largest known individual and the average size of adult individuals of that species. The result was that that ratio was somewhere in the range between 1.2 and 2.3, with very few exceptions. So the largest individual was between 1.2 and 2.3 times larger than the average adult individual. This holds for quite a number of living species of mammals. I include a link to a video where this is discussed below.

So if we would be able to get an average size estimate for adult individuals of Stegosaurus stenops and ungulatus, respectively, we could estimate the likely maximum size of each species within these limits. It is certainly not perfect, but it seems a reasonable approach.

Turkeysaurus

Yeah i don't think this stegosaurus is unrealistic size, Rebor seemed bigger in video. This a bit bigger than PNSO which supposed to be smaller.

Even if it is 1:30, i think that's within realistic range for exclusively 1:35 collectors like myself.

Sim

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 11:42:17 PMYes J. Cooper is tall but not above average super tall, also keep in mind that the skeleton is standing at a higher level than the ground, like ~20cm, that means that in the photo Thomas posted the head ends again at a chest level (in that case of a presumably smaller woman), far from the ~2m of the figures. 
In Thomas's photo as well as the news article image you shared, the human appears to be standing at the same level as Apex.

Sim

Regarding the maximum size of Stegosaurus, I remember that on its Wikipedia page the length estimate for S. stenops was 7m and S. ungulatus 8 or 9 m.  I know a user changed them to be lower during their mass-updating of dinosaur lengths on Wikipedia.  I wonder if the new lower lengths are more accurate?  If so, I wonder where the higher length estimates came from?  Back when Stegosaurus armatus was considered valid this species was even estimated at 10m.

Turkeysaurus

Skeletals Stegosaurus (by randomdinos) Allosaurus (by franoys)

Largest of both animals. "Apex" for stegosaurus. If it's between 7.8 m or rumored 8.2 m (27 feet) that makes HLG 1:30-1:32 scale. Not 1:35 but not unrealistic size.

PNSO Bieber (Museum) is stenops and it's 21.5 cm , at 1:35 scale that would make  7.5 meter animal (Ungulatus size.) However i see stepnos is smaller than ungulatus and about 6.5 m.

7.5m ÷ 6.5m = 1.15 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 24.8 cm (HLG Ungulatus 25 cm size, would make great match with PNSO stenops)

If 7.8m ÷ 6.5m = 1.2 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 25.8 cm

If 8.2m ÷ 6.5m = 1.26 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 27 cm

If smaller 7m ÷ 6.5m = 1.07 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 23.2 cm ( at 1:35  would make 8.1 meter animal which is 27 feet rumored lenght)
TL;DR pnso & HGL models are great match to eachother.

Now where is my Nobel prize?

Skorpio V.

I saw the Diabloceratops in the natural lighting promo shots before seeing discussion here on the forum, and I rank this one up there with the Kosmoceratops and "Scolosaurus" in being the most seamless in terms of accuracy. Although I haven't been sharing them as often as I once did, I tend to find aspects in Haolonggood's releases that set them back from being perfect (e.g. the Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus' respective hornlets, the Edmontonia, Allosaurus, and Daspletosaurus' head sculpts, being out of scale, having seam lines etc.). I refrained from telling most of them during the heyday of their releases since Haolonggood was doing such a service in producing these genera and I can see how the vast majority of collectors could overlook them.

I love the paint on the bluey one! I also have a bias towards red Diabloceratops because, well, "diablo" but I realized it really leans into this Disney's Hades vibe. I think that's a cool way to not be too on-the-nose about the "Devil's Horned Face" thing.

I was actually really surprised when I read people didn't take a liking to the Diabloceratops upon its first reveal, even if it seemed washed out in the studio shots. It's entirely reasonable to assume the studio shots originally passed around were compressed and sent and upscaled and compressed all over again, so those opinions of it being fuzzy or lackluster in paint are valid but we could have assumed that it was to do with the image quality before assuming, "Oh, here's another flat-painted Haolonggood release like the Wuerhosaurus and Tlatolophus! Why don't they just make them all good like xyz." especially when the first thing people comment on when Safari releases product shots in studio lighting is that it'll look better in natural light. 

Although Diabloceratops has a lot of good models and people have the right to pass on this one because of that, this is definitely the best mass-produced one so far.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Faelrin

avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V. I never thought of it in that way (the Hades thing). So like blue fire if anything. Now that tempts me to pick one up.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 25, 2024, 01:39:49 PMSkeletals Stegosaurus (by randomdinos) Allosaurus (by franoys)

Largest of both animals. "Apex" for stegosaurus. If it's between 7.8 m or rumored 8.2 m (27 feet) that makes HLG 1:30-1:32 scale. Not 1:35 but not unrealistic size.

PNSO Bieber (Museum) is stenops and it's 21.5 cm , at 1:35 scale that would make  7.5 meter animal (Ungulatus size.) However i see stepnos is smaller than ungulatus and about 6.5 m.

7.5m ÷ 6.5m = 1.15 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 24.8 cm (HLG Ungulatus 25 cm size, would make great match with PNSO stenops)

If 7.8m ÷ 6.5m = 1.2 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 25.8 cm

If 8.2m ÷ 6.5m = 1.26 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 27 cm

If smaller 7m ÷ 6.5m = 1.07 × 21.5cm (pnso stenops) = 23.2 cm ( at 1:35  would make 8.1 meter animal which is 27 feet rumored lenght)
TL;DR pnso & HGL models are great match to eachother.

Now where is my Nobel prize?

Hahaha, yes the stego figures fit quite well between them, HLG and PNSO, my concern was with other 1/35 figures (if I consider HGL ungulatus a little too much you better dont ask me about PNSOs size haha ).

The YPM collection of that chart you posted is referring to ungulatus, they have been doing that lately, dont know why, they may be considering the remains to be sp. or synonym to stenops.
Looks like the scale between those is pretty much the same difference between HLG ungulatus and PNSO Allo/Sauro but the latter is ~11m so HGL ungulatus must be quite bigger than the one of the chart.
PS: the allo specimen on the chart is a little in the lower estimate of that individual (although 20cm are not of much importance) but there are a handfull Allo (no maximus) individuals much bigger than that one.

Quote from: Sim on June 25, 2024, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 24, 2024, 11:42:17 PMYes J. Cooper is tall but not above average super tall, also keep in mind that the skeleton is standing at a higher level than the ground, like ~20cm, that means that in the photo Thomas posted the head ends again at a chest level (in that case of a presumably smaller woman), far from the ~2m of the figures. 
In Thomas's photo as well as the news article image you shared, the human appears to be standing at the same level as Apex.

If you look closer you can see how the skeleton is standing around 20cm above the ground due to the frame, its like this in most skeleton mounts in the world.

Quote from: Sim on June 25, 2024, 01:06:27 PMRegarding the maximum size of Stegosaurus, I remember that on its Wikipedia page the length estimate for S. stenops was 7m and S. ungulatus 8 or 9 m.  I know a user changed them to be lower during their mass-updating of dinosaur lengths on Wikipedia.  I wonder if the new lower lengths are more accurate?  If so, I wonder where the higher length estimates came from?  Back when Stegosaurus armatus was considered valid this species was even estimated at 10m.

The 8 and 9 estimates were based on isometrical scaling of the femur of ungulatus, but with Sophie and this new specimens now is believed that adults had longer femoras, so lower estimates should be more accurate, 6,5-7m stenops 7-8?m ungulatus.

Lets wait to Apex description (take a chair because is going to take many years, Torvo Elvis specimen was discovered by Cooper too, back in 2015? given to Cincinnati museum in 2019 and is currently being described, and thats if someone actually cares to describe it or can, because if it is sold to a private person... thankfully they scaned the bones and are going to be accesible (the scans). Thats why we need to be carefull we dont know how complete Apex column is.

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 25, 2024, 11:38:27 AM

Osteohistology analysis are needed to see if the sample is of an adult population but there arent many beacuse untill now it implies breaking the bone. Resonance methods are changing this and will help but they are expensive.

Sim

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 25, 2024, 05:28:33 PMIf you look closer you can see how the skeleton is standing around 20cm above the ground due to the frame, its like this in most skeleton mounts in the world.
To me it looks like the left forelimb of Apex reaches the same level as where the woman is standing.  The left hindlimb is raised off the ground however.  The woman appears to be standing on a frame too, based on what's beneath her.

thomasw100

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on June 25, 2024, 05:28:33 PMOsteohistology analysis are needed to see if the sample is of an adult population but there arent many beacuse untill now it implies breaking the bone. Resonance methods are changing this and will help but they are expensive.

The analysis of the ratio between largest individuals and average individuals is also based on extant mammal species. They give the same approximate range as the few cases of dinosaurs where the data base is large enough to permit this type of analysis. One can do this statistics for a number of extant species and then calculate the ratio with standard deviation and use this for calculating an estimate for dinosaurs. This method is very approximate, but in any case better than just assuming that the largest fossil individual found represents the maximum of the species.

Turkeysaurus

For HLG's Apatosaurus there are reviews that prefer gray because large animals of today makes it more realistic. Same goes for green stego this time.

As far as i remember Diplodocus skin found out to be possibly ginger - yellowish tone. Since they are much closer as relatives and smiliar size body shape than an elephant to an apatosaurus, it would make rusty yellow Apatosaurus more plausible than Gray scientifically  :D

Reviewers buy green Stegosaurus version mostly because they claim it's more natural. I know there is difference between teal or blue skin compared to orangish yellow  but still don't let that discourage you.

If stegosaurus is found to have brownish red/Pink (natural color) skin material that will make Fruit more accurate than entire green Stegosaurus.

I bought green for practical reasons, not scientifically. I'm in between when it's come to coloration. I don't want odd colors to take too much place on an animal. Some display areas are fine. (PNSO Deinocheirus great example) Earth colors but DIFFERENT tones & patterns as "vibrant" good enough for me. (HLG yellow Apatosaurus, PNSO Gorgosaurus , lufengosaurus )

Once in a while absolute crazy or dull variants ı'm okay with it. (Fruit or blue stego & dull Apatosaurus, PNSO Triceratops etc.)

Entirely blue dinosaurs, i think we already have enough for such a rare color for especially giant animals to have. ( Who knows maybe they do sell better?) Also like i said before it looks obsessive on a shelf after a while because rarity for an animal. (Or even plant!) So it might be a problem for all collectors not just because scientific possibility. I bought green for this effect. Some day i'm gonna buy blue dinosaur but i don't want it on a giant and already striking looking animal. Smaller & duller dinosaur can pops up with a blue color.

Turkeysaurus

I'm apoligize about writing a novel above. I can take TL;NR posts kindly.

thomasw100

Haolonggood on their X page have posted that July is near and a new release would be forthcoming soon. They ask if people can guess what the new release could be.

Carnoking

They've got a backlog of ceratopsians to work through yet, so if I were a betting man, I'd put money on one of those. That said, they do usually release new figures in twos (or at least release a second figure shortly after one is revealed) so there could very well be two. Would love to see one of their mid sized sauropods soon!

thomasw100

Quote from: Carnoking on June 26, 2024, 02:34:26 PMThey've got a backlog of ceratopsians to work through yet, so if I were a betting man, I'd put money on one of those. That said, they do usually release new figures in twos (or at least release a second figure shortly after one is revealed) so there could very well be two. Would love to see one of their mid sized sauropods soon!

Some people were guessing (or rather hoping) it could be the Camarasaurus. I really hope that this one will come out any time soon. It is one of the species that I love most. Certainly as you say a ceratopsian would be a highly probable possibility, given that 4 more are due to e released.

While typing the first half of this message, the postman was ringing and brought me a parcel. My green Stegosaurus ungulatus has arrived. What a real beauty. The sculpt and the paint application are really really top.

Looks so great next to the PNSO Stegosaurus stenops. When displayed together, one could think that these are made by the same company.

I was really lucky and there was no transport related warping of the plates on my copy. There is a bit of warping of the thagomizer spikes which will be easy to fix by hot water treatment.

Quiversaurus

Congrats T @thomasw100 ! Glad to hear that their S. ungulatus has been such a hit all around, and now with you as well. It's simply cementing my decision to get one (green version) - just gotta wait for a good Aliexpress sale to come on!

Edit: Just curious, I've also been watching this Youtuber's reviews, but haven't seen any of his videos posted here before. Anyone heard of him? I find his footage can improve, but he gives decent insight into models, and he does good comparisons here and there:

Placing this here also cause it's on the new S. ungulatus (:

Turkeysaurus

If green version is the most popular, PNSO must know what they are doing with color choices.

Is this lound minority vs silent majority situation? Because green/orange  for stegosaurus is the most unimaginative combination for sure.

Green is my love but Fruit is my passion to be honest.

ceratopsian

I ordered your "Fruit" and the blue. Not the green, avatar_Turkeysaurus @Turkeysaurus.

thomasw100

Would be very interesting to see the sales statistics for the different color variants of each of the Haolonggood models. I would think that Haolonggood analyzes these data and possibly uses them for deciding on future releases.

Pinbacker

I ordered the blue Stegosaurus. It came in yesterday, and I love it. It looks amazing in person.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: